AFL

A lot of the upgrades about to happen at the MCG are his ideas.

They are? Plans have been in place for some time, Eddie went to the Superbowl recently and returned with a thought bubble about roofing the MCG.

They have I believe he was on the committee for it.

1 Like

I don’t think Eddie would even want the job anyways. From all reports he wants to pursue business interests in America. I’d say he’s ready to move out of the Australian ‘bubble’.

1 Like

I don’t think he will want it either nor do I actually think he is the right person either. But I just don’t think he would be the worse person for the job.

Seven and Fox’s TV broadcast deal will be amended and extended until end of the 2027 season. For more see: AFL broadcast rights 2025-

VFL this week
Thursday, 14 April
Southport v Geelong, 7.05pm, Fankhauser Reserve
Friday, 15 April
Nth Melbourne v Footscray, 12.05pm, Arden Street Oval
Williamstown v Werribee, 1.05pm, Williamstown Football Ground
Saturday, 16 April
Sandringham v Gold Coast, 11.05am, Trevor Barker Beach Oval
Collingwood v GWS Giants, 2.05pm, AIA Centre
Sunday, 17 April
Carlton v Richmond, 11.05am, IKON Park
Sydney v Nothern Bullants, 1.05pm, Blacktown International Sportspark
Casey v Coburg, 1.35pm, Casey Fields
Port Melbourne v Essendon, 2.10pm, ETU Stadium
Byes: Box Hill, Frankston, Brisbane

1 Like
1 Like

Looking at this and this will sound controversal to many but I think that with the NT AFL Team they relocate one of the Melbourne based teams rather than the more risky decision of starting a new club which may or may not flop.

It will be interesting to see if a decision is made on Tasmania’s bid before or after Gil departs - I suspect some of the names that have been thrown up as possible CEO replacements may push back from adding a 19th (and 20th) team

I fear it could be the relocation of the Suns - especially if things don’t improve and the AFL starts walking back the support. Part of me does want to see Brendon Gale get the top job just to see him have the inevitable barney with Suns chairman Tony Cochrane

Particularly with Gutwein having recently left the Premiership. I believe he was a major force pushing for a Tassie club.

IYKYK

3 Likes

Glad they fought hard at the end though. You need to go through highs and lows.

1 Like

Do we think Ben Rutten is the right coach for Essendon?

Not looking too good this year.

Coming from an Essendon supporter, no. Caracella should take the job from Rutten. His gameplan obviously isn’t working in our team.

VFL this weekend
Saturday, April 23
GWS Giants v Sandringham, Blacktown International Sportspark, 1.35pm
Werribee v Carlton, Avalon Airport Oval, 2.05pm
Footscray v Southport, VU Whitten Oval, 3.05pm
Sunday, April 24
Brisbane v Port Melbourne, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, 11.05am
Coburg v Box Hill, Piranha Park, 1.05pm
Richmond v Casey, Punt Road Oval, 2.10pm*
Frankston v Nth Melbourne, Skybus Stadium, 7.05pm
Monday, April 25
Essendon v Collingwood, Windy Hill, 1.05pm
Byes: Geelong, Williamstown, Gold Coast, Sydney, Northern Bullants
*Indicates 7 broadcast match

2 Likes

Surely the AFL could’nt expand beyond 18 Clubs with Gold Coast Suns and St. Kilda battling the Most, However a Merger may still Happen.

Umm. We aren’t even 18th i dont know that we are struggling…

Stop going on about things that won’t happen. There won’t be a merger.

2 Likes

It’s not just about the on-field performance - off-field performance is likely to be a bigger indicator of whether a club will survive or not. Any club (and that includes the Suns) that have the AFL basically underwriting them has to be at considerably higher risk of being relocated at the whim of the sport’s administration.

Expansion into Tasmania (and possibly the Northern Territory) will be financially challenging and will likely need significant financial support from the AFL, at the same time they should be pushing the established clubs to better stand on their own two feet.

1 Like