AFL

Rugby league, rugby union and soccer matches all have 15 minute breaks, five minutes longer than AFL’s proposed break. But they last around 90-100 minutes. AFL players play for more than two hours and a 10 minutes won’t help them catch their breath.
Also, a 10 minute break will have repercussions for Seven Adelaide. For example, if it is to show a twilight match live, it won’t be able to air the news at half time. Either the match or the news will have to air on 7mate.

I like this idea. Maybe not 20 minutes to 10 minutes. But 20 minutes to 15 minutes.

Broadcasters wont like it as it will mean less ads at half time

2 Likes

By the sounds of it its a push from the broadcasters. I think the venues are the ones who wouldn’t like it.

What’s the bet they’ve found a particular demographic drop off after half time or something.

2 Likes

Champion Data’s new list ratings for 2020

1. Richmond

2. Western Bulldogs

3. Collingwood

4. GWS

5. West Coast

6. North Melbourne

7. Geelong

8. Port Adelaide

9. Essendon

10. Hawthorn

11. Brisbane

12. Melbourne

13. St Kilda

14. Sydney

15. Adelaide

16. Carlton

17. Fremantle

18. Gold Coast

I am surprised the bulldogs are so high and north are in the top 6.

1 Like

My thoughts on the champion data for 2019:

• Richmond have played exceptionally well during that year. After struggling during middle of 2019, Richmond have found good form and able to apply in their best effort. Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Jason Castagna, Tommy Lynch, Daniel Rioli.
  • Adelaide Crows. What can I say. Crows have had a lot of high expectations this year. The Crows started off well but during the middle of the season, they started to lose a lot of momentum. Off field issues, and the attitude of players have to blame for their poor season which resulted in Don Pyke’s resignation in September. New Adelaide coach Matt Nicks needs to reverse after a lacklustre 2019 season.
  • Fremantle Dockers - Words cannot say how dreadful their season was. Most of the players were well below average and have struggled throughout the season. They’ve had a lot of injuries this season and their form was so poor. Their playing style was outdated. A 91-point drubbing to West Coast was a massive concern for Ross Lyon. Ross Lyon struggled to develop young players into elite players. Unfortunately more losses resulted in Ross Lyon getting the sack in August.
  • POrt Adelaide - They’ve had above average players in 2019, however they’ve missed the finals for the 2nd time. Port Adelaide were meant to play finals, but a heavy loss to North Melbourne ended its finals chances. They’ve had a rollercoaster ride this year.
  • Melbourne - After playing finals in 2018, they’ve gone downhill with injuries and their poor form this season. Melbourne need at least 7 players to be above average. Despite a poor year, I think that Steven May could return in good form and hopefully Melbourne could start winning more games.
  • West Coast - What can I say. There are 6 elite players and 5 poor players. They’ve copped a lot of flack this season. A narrow loss to Richmond in R22 cost the chances of a top 2 finish. An upset loss to Hawthorn at Optus Stadium in R23 has certainly ended its top 4 chances. Poor form and attitude of players were to blame for back-to-back losses.

Melbourne is also a strange one from me. Melbourne well and truly believe they are in the premiership window. They have a list that they seem to be comfortable with. Yet they still only rank as the 12th best list.

Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph writes that the AFL is set to reduce the half time break to 15 minutes next year.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl-set-to-shorten-halftime-break-to-15minutes/news-story/7afe4782e78acfc8606e75c040666ee2

1 Like

Yeah that is better than to 10 minutes.

That will put it inline with soccer, rugby league and rugby union matches, so that’s a good compromise.

Who cares what the other codes do?

The AFL has confirmed that it’ll bring back their State of Origin for a bushfire relief appeal to be played on Feb 28th at Marvel Stadium.

Richmond coach, Damien Hardwick will coach the Vic side with Sydney coach, John Longmire coaching the All Stars side

Each AFL team will have 3 players Representing their club.

4 Likes

Looking forward to it.

It’ll be interesting to see what level of intensity it will be played at… whether it will be a full on serious game or as a carnival like game as with a Legends game … given its being played pre season, is a fund raiser, it may be the latter as players won’t want to get injured?

The AFL today revealed its wishlist of players for the charity match.

Wait where do they reveal it?

2 Likes

Not how I’d summarise the article, but it’s about 7 or 8 pars in:

Players including Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield, Melbourne’s three-time All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn, Collingwood’s five-time club champion Scott Pendlebury, GWS Coleman medallist Jeremy Cameron and West Coast’s talismanic big man Nic Naitanui have all put their hands up to play.

I was wondering the same thing.

Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter