AFL

West Coast’s premiership defence is over, losing to Geelong by 20 points in tonight’s semi final at the MCG. After losing to Collingwood last week, Geelong rectified their game and dominated early. They led by more than 30 points during the second quarter before the Eagles fought back and took a four point lead at three quarter time. The Cats then kicked four goals to none in the final term to seal victory.
It’s the second time in a row Geelong beat West Coast in the finals (after the Eagles won the first four clashes, including the 1992 and 1994 grand finals). The minor premiers will play Richmond in next Friday’s preliminary final.

4 Likes

Richmond v Geelong. On a scale from 1 to 10 of how excited I am. It will be a 4.
I cannot stand Geelong. Several players duck and dive to earn free kicks, especially Joel Selwood, Dangerfield.
The teams I can’t stand. From least favourite to not as hated:
Collingwood (2012 SF, Supporters are awful, a petition to reverse last year’s GF result)
Geelong (2011 PF, 2019 SF)
Hawthorn (2015 GF) - a distant 3rd
Adelaide
Richmond

1 Like

I am sensing a Collingwood v Richmond Grand Final.

That would be HUGE in Melbourne …

That didn’t quite happen.

2 Likes

I watched the final quarter of the match. Eagles failed to fire in the final quarter after leading by 4 points. Chris Scott, Geelong coach went bananas as they celebrated the win. However I cannot stand Chris Scott and Geelong Cats. Chris Scott’s ego is big and Geelong Cats (where they thrashed West Coast in 2008 season, 2011 PF, 2019 season). Geelong Cats team earn more free kicks.

1 Like

25-17 in WCE favour including a run of 10 in a row starting in the 2nd Q and finishing in the 3rd.

You must have jinxed them!

1 Like

Heartbreak for Chris Fagan as Lions lost to gWS by 3 points at the Gabba. Giants will play Collingwood in the preliminary final next Saturday at the MCG. Will be a rematch of the semi final 2018. Kudos to Leon Cameron for his wonderful effort in the match.
Brisbane is the fourth non Victorian team to go out in straight sets (Richmond and GWS).
This is the 8th time that a top 4 team goes out in straight sets. Last year Hawthorn went out in straight sets when they lost to Melbourne in semi final.

Amazing game for neutral supporters

3 Likes

GWS has a smaller supporter base in Australia and around 30000 fans. Last year Collingwood faced GWS in The semi final at MCG with a crowd of 72.5k. This preliminary final match will be a blockbuster game. I am thinking of around 93k between for next Saturday twilight game at the mcg.

1 Like

I was watching Ashes so I missed most of tonight’s game. As soon as lunch was called I switched to Seven for the final five minutes. Thrilling stuff.
Also, Luke Hodge tonight announced his retirement for the second time, after two seasons with the Lions.

2 Likes

346 games, 4x premiership player, 3x premiership captain (2013-15), 2x Norm Smith medalist. Well done Luke hodge on a wonderful career.

1 Like

Yep, don’t know what match you were watching because it was the Eagles that got the armchair ride with free kicks through the second quarter, which helped bring them back into it. That 50m penalty against Menegola was a joke.

Still, very happy that my boys turned up with intent and played very well, especially at the start and the end. Though Richmond will be a big ask, I still think they’ll pump us

2 Likes

And on Brisbane, devastating to lose for them but what an amazing season they’ve had. Almost out of nowhere they came to finish top two. They’re a fairly young list with some quality leaders and developing youth - they will be there abouts for years to come I suspect

As for GWS, they’re fast becoming a team a lot of people love to hate - Toby Greene in no small part makes the hating easier. I think Collingwood should beat them but it could be a big game next Saturday, I wouldn’t write it off as a foregone conclusion just yet

2 Likes

I will be on the GWS bandwagon partially, however, one GWS player I cannot stand–Toby Greene (by a mile). He likes to hurt people and this was what he did to Marcus Bontempelli last week’s elimination final. Toby Greene will more likely to get booed by Collingwood fans. I dislike Collingwood because these fans are up there as the most feral supporter base. GWS have appeared in 3 Preliminary Finals (2016 v Bulldogs, 2017 v Richmond and 2019 v Collingwood).
Richmond v Geelong – Cannot stand Geelong at all. Recently, I watched the Geelong v West Coast and the Eagles scored only one point. Turned the channel to Channel Nine to watch the Ashes test. Geelong were too good and beat us in the semi-final. They were meant to be favourites but the Cats won the match. Joel Selwood–ducking and staging free kicks. He got blood all over his head and it was very disturbing to watch him with his injury. I will tip Richmond for the win, however I will not be supporting neither of these teams.

1 Like

Toby Greene will miss next weeks Preliminary Final game against COllingwood at the MCG due to Suspension. He was found guilty of unnecessary eye gouging Brisbane’s Lachie Neale. However, he will have the chance to challenge his suspension.

1 Like

Has it ever been necessary?

3 Likes

Watching the Grand Final in 2007 there was definitely necessary eye gauging for us Port supporters.

4 Likes

Who were Geelong players that have done eye gauging towards Port Adelaide? (I didn’t watch the game as I was in overseas)

Don’t think any players eye gauged each other, I think he’s talking about the embarrassment Port fans felt knowing the score…

4 Likes
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter