AFL

Brisbane Lions’ first final in 10 years ended with a 47 point loss to Richmond. The Tigers were superb with their defence and sharpshooting with Dustin Martin kicking six goals, while the Lions let themselves down with poor goalkicking (8.17). It’s the first time since 1926 that the top two teams on the VFL/AFL ladder lost in the first week of the finals.
Tonight’s crowd of 37,478 is the biggest attendance for an AFL match at the Gabba.

2 Likes

I’ve tried to stay out of the home final debate really, it’s been blown way out of proportion since the Richmond game a couple of years ago.

Reality is we’ll never play the big Melbourne clubs anywhere other than the MCG. The Collingwood final was always going to be there, as it should be. Having said that, we routinely play non-Victorian teams at home, and we have played a final against Fremantle at home in 2013, so there was surely a good argument for the West Coast final next week to be in Geelong. But apparently not

I don’t think our draw was favourable as such, we played and beat Collingwood and Richmond at the G earlier in the year. Although we did get to beat Adelaide and Sydney twice, but it’s not like we got Gold Coast and Carlton twice. The same can’t be said for Brisbane who did get an easier draw courtesy of their lower finish last year.

However I have to agree that’s its tough to rate us at the moment. The West Coast game will be really interesting - if we are the real deal we must show it then, and we did account for them earlier in the year, but lose that badly and I honestly think questions will be asked of the team…

Yeah I think it was more favourable in terms of when they got to play the likes of Collingwood and Richmond - that being earlier in the year. However, you can only play the draw you are given.

Exactly right. Coming into the season our draw actually looked really tough, with Collingwood, Melbourne (Prelim finalists the previous year), Adelaide away as our first three. Looking at it now yes we got the Pies early, and the other two didn’t end up being much this year

1 Like

Friday: Geelong v west coast - I want West coast to play in a preliminary final against Richmond at The MCG. If west coast win over Geelong at the mcg, will they come back to Perth and train ahead before flying to Melbourne?

1 Like

Speculation on who the identity is can be found online; believe that some media are reporting it as well.

Edit 6:06PM - has just been named by The Age as Danny Frawley.

Top story on Seven and Nine Melbourne with Seven confirming it’s sadly Danny Frawley who died and running a tribute package.Nine hasn’t confirmed it as yet.

Edit-
Confirmed on Nine at 6:11pm with tribute package airing.

1 Like

Absolutely terrible news :cry:

Been watching Bounce for a few years and he was great on there

3 Likes

Understandably the main point of discussion on Melbourne talk radio at the moment. On SEN, Andy Maher and Craig Hutchison is joining Sam McClure, who is now taking calls from listeners. Sportsday on 3AW doing the same - just spoke to Tony Shaw.

1 Like

What tragic news was just listening to his sacked interview yesterday.

1 Like

Devastating news.
There will be a tribute to Danny Frawley on AFL360 on Fox Footy tonight.

Update: joint statement from Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany and Head of Fox Sports Australia Peter Campbell (via Mr TV Australia Twitter):

3 Likes

Tomorrow, the flags of Ballarat Town Hall will be flown at half-mast.

10 Likes

Words cannot express the loss of Danny Frawley. He was born in Ballarat, where he grew up on a potato farm, which led to his nickname, Spud. Spud was an enormous than life character who enjoyed an exceptionally well career at St Kilda, playing 240 games and being inducted in the Best and Fairest and All-Australian in 1988. After his retirement, Frawley joined Richmond as coach in 2000. He took the Tigers into the finals (For the first time since 1995) where they reached the preliminary finals. Frawley left Richmond at the end of 2004 season. In 2006, he was inducted into the St Kilda Hall of Fame. During his post-football career, he was part of Fox Footy. He got along well with his colleagues, Jason Dunstall and Cameron Mooney. He was also part of the 1116 SEN Footy Team on Friday nights and Sunday Afternoons. Fox Footy will never be the same without him. RIP Danny Frawley.

4 Likes

Today’s Herald Sun front page (bumping Australia’s Ashes test win to a liftout and sports pages)

Additionally, all four competing clubs this weekend – Geelong Cats, West Coast Eagles, Brisbane Lions and GWS Giants along with the umpires and AFL match officials will wear black armbands as a mark of respect to the former St Kilda Captain, Richmond Coach, AFLCA Chief Executive, AFL Life Member, current All-Australian selector and football media personality.

4 Likes

Will there be one minute silence for the Geelong v West Coast game at the MCG and the Brisbane v GWS match at the Gabba?

1 Like

Yes

4 Likes

Sadly won’t be near a full minute. I liked the way Melbourne acknowledged Jim Stynes’ passing with applause rather than silence. Somehow I think that would be appropriate with Spud too.

1 Like

Geelong v West Coast at MCG. Crowds will be huge. Thousands of West Coast fans will travel to Melbourne to watch the game from the arena. Friday Night Sudden Death match. It will be a blockbuster at the 'G. I am way excited for Friday the 13th.

2 Likes

I think silence is more appropriate given his issues with mental health. I don’t want to sound heartless but if the crash turns out not to have been an ‘accident’ then it would be a little inappropriate to applaud that. And in fact silence would be the most appropriate way to open the discussion towards those suffering mental health.

2 Likes