AFL

I’m in

1 Like

Haha I was worried it was just going to be an @TheIdiotBoxAU for a bit there. Thanks for those that joined.

Your thoughts of the 2019 afl season?

• More Scintillating
  • will stay the same as last year
  • Meh, it will probably take a backwards step

0 voters

Will reserve the right to change my vote depending on if my team loses a grand final again

Hasn’t even started yet… so who knows whats going to happen.

1 Like

I have just entered turdall’s tipping competition, so every week I will be entering the same tips for both MediaSpy and Delta Goodrem Forum tipping competitions at footytips.com.au
By the way, I came across a general thread on AFL tipping in this forum: AFL Tipping
Can’t wait for the new season to begin!

3 Likes

Last day to get in before the first game begins tonight. The link is above. There is a few of us who have joined now so should be a bit of fun!

Wow. What a win for Richmond over Carlton in the opening match of the season. Alex Rance 200th match was hit by knee injury. Carlton have lost 7 matches in the opening match of the season. Jack Riewoldt played well.
Mcg crowd was about 84500 people

I’ve been boycotting the AFL for a year and a bit over the disgraceful umpiring against the Sydney Swans. This table, if correct, is quite shocking.

1 Like

It is funny that the two teams at the bottom of that table are arguably the two most successful clubs in the last 10-15 years.

Perhaps it just proves it doesn’t matter how many free kicks you get.

Which makes the Swans’ success all the more remarkable, imo. They basically have to play two teams every week. I think the umps have it in for Buddy Franklin in particular (perhaps that’s why Hawthorn are second worst?)

Hawthorn is an interesting one (they are still a very distant second, though). It would be interesting to see the finer detail- perhaps the umps only got tough on them after their premiership success.

Maybe. But maybe its also the way he plays? Some players just play a bit edgier. And that edginess sometimes pays off and sometimes it doesn’t. If Buddy kicks 4 in a week and gives away 4 free kicks he will likely win the game for the Swans so the frees aren’t a big deal.

The trouble is, Buddy can be brilliant one game and a dunce the next. But the avalanche of free kicks against Sydney is a constant, match after match, even when playing at home. I agree that some players bend the rules a little more than others.

I’ll keep a running tally of the free kick count this year for all matches involving either the Swans or GWS. It will be interesting to look at come hayfever season.

Collingwood banner for tonight’s match, referring to last year’s Grand Final.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting topic that’s for sure. Please do keep a tally. Not trying to stir trouble but I’ve watched a lot of Sydney games live and they do seem to like to niggle and get under the opposition skin. With that sort of tactic comes consequences.

They are also known for their defensive pressure and always have been and obviously with that free kicks against will come.

The defensive (dare we say ugly) play of the Swans is certainly a factor. The worst free kick anomalies were from 2005-2007 when that style was most effective.

I really think there is a strong element of systemic bias in umpiring, though. The astounding number of frees given to West Coast is perhaps even more startling. If you were to run a hypothesis test on the data, you’d probably reject the null hypothesis that there is no systemic bias.

Many of the AFL rules are open to interpretation and thus potential abuse by wayward officials. There are parallels with the black letter law vs principles debate in jurisprudential analysis.

I’m certainly not one to swallow conspiracy theories and would welcome a coherent alternative hypothesis, but the statistics seem to lend some weight to my grievance.

1 Like

After Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon reviewed this week he would support a new Tasmanian team in the next decade, a new push has emerged to have such a team by 2026.

But the key here is the health of grassroots footy in the state. The new AFL team should not come at the expense of clubs in the local leagues. Tasmania needs more people to move there to provide the young talent needed for local clubs which will lead to them drafted by the new Tasmanian team.

I just don’t know if there is a bias. We wouldn’t have seen a star like Adam Goodes win a Brownlow or multiple players from Hawthorn win as well. As I said I think every fan feels hard done by. I certainly did in 2017 when Jared Polec awarded a free kick to Shuey who kicked a goal to win the game after the siren. Umpires later said it was a mistake. It eliminated us from the finals. Same goes with last year. Port momentum was completely shattered when Jenkins was given a goal that clearly hit the post to which he even admitted to. I just think you have to take the good with the bad and if you can win despite questionable decisions then you deserve the win. The opportunistic side of me would hope there is no bias as it would clearly bring the game in jeopardy.

Could St. Kilda take a Leaf Out Of St. George Illawarra And Wests Books and form a Joint Venture with North Melbourne As the Saints are Millions in Debt but have a Large Recruiting Area and the Kangas are Rich But there Catchment Base in Melbourne is Small.

Would love to see it. Doubt something like that would happen soon though. I would then like to see a team in Tasmania with the 18th licence. Gill is a St Kilda fan so while he is around surely he would do everything to keep them around.