AFL

Just remembered hearing that a guy bet $375k on a Swans win! Wonder how he’s doing at the moment.

1 Like

Final thought, is this the start of a Hawthorn like dynasty for the Dogs? They are still so young.

Wow, what a brilliant day! A day, that up until Thursday, had no idea I’d experience such history live. Have just got back to the place I’m staying at until tomorrow morning. Go Doggies!! :dog:

[quote=“turdall, post:122, topic:803, full:true”]As a port supporter I dont think Hinkley will have a problem next year. The year after definitely. Buckley has already stated that he would resign if he didnt make the finals next year. Hardwick will probably be gone unless they make a prelim.
[/quote]It really does depend of course. If they get flogged in numerous games I reckon he’s a goner, but if they make the finals he’ll be safe (at least for the following season). Yep, Buckley will go if they fail to make the 8, and Hardwick will go if they fail to win at least one final (or miss out altogether, of course.).

[quote=“sammy123, post:126, topic:803, full:true”]
Malcolm Turnbull apparently doesn’t know much about the AFL.[/quote]To be truthful, he doesn’t seem to know much about lots of things. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“turdall, post:131, topic:803, full:true”]
Did anyone get tickets for the game?
[/quote]I actually wasn’t planning on going but got free tickets (including plane trip over and free accommodation with some mates) from a mate who wasn’t able to make it in the end. :smile:

I was hesitant when first asked, but sure am glad I took them after all. Was a game for the ages (goes without saying I guess! :grin:). I can now say I was at the 'G when the doggies made history! So very well deserved… I might just have to swap allegiances for next year. :yum: :+1:

[quote=“Aurora, post:140, topic:803, full:true”]
Also, although I felt sorry for Bob Murphy having been such a loyal Bulldogs stalwart for close to two decades only to miss playing in what would be their premiership victory extinguishing their six decade drought, it was heartwarming to see Coach Luke Beveridge give his medal to him on the stand. He deserves nothing less.[/quote]Yes, same. It was a great thing Bevo did to give Bob his medal on the dais to make him feel more part of the victory. Must say, it was also great to see stand-in captain Easton Wood and Bob raise the cup together. So well deserved. Hope he gets the chance to play in one next year as he very much deserves it, too.

[quote=“sammy123, post:141, topic:803, full:true”]Just remembered hearing that a guy bet $375k on a Swans win! Wonder how he’s doing at the moment.[/quote]I’d imagine he’s totally wasted and wants to forget he ever bet them in the first place!! :joy:

[quote=“sammy123, post:142, topic:803, full:true”]Final thought, is this the start of a Hawthorn like dynasty for the Dogs? They are still so young.[/quote]Watching them for the first time live today I’d say their chances are really high. I can definitely see the Bulldogs and Giants playing off the GF for the next few years at the very least (depending on injuries etc of course). With this current list of theirs, they’d be disappointed if they weren’t able to grab a few flags with them.

Anyways, again Congratulations to the Western Bulldogs on FINALLY breaking the 60+ years drought! :grin::+1: :dog::dog::dog:

2 Likes

Cmon mate, you can’t change who you barrack for :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

[quote=“sammy123, post:144, topic:803, full:true”]Cmon mate, you can’t change who you barrack for :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:[/quote]Haha. After being a member and fan for well over a decade I can’t.:yum: But with the way they’re going and the way the doggies are currently going… hmmm. either way, I’m glad they beat Sydney as they didn’t deserve it IMO. :slightly_smiling_face:

What a great game yesterday. Could not pick the winmer up until the last 5 minutes. Really didn’t think the Bulldogs could beat the Swans but I am so glad they did.

5 Likes

It looked like when Sydney kicked four goals in-a-row in the middle of the 2nd quarter that they would ‘run away’ with it from then. However, the Bulldogs hanged in there and by the time it got to the quarter, it looked like they probably would win being the ‘better side’ in the 2nd half

2 Likes

Anyone got any early predictions for next year. I am predicting Essendon for the premiership.

Top 8:
Essendon
GWS
Western Bulldogs
Geelong
Sydney
Hawthorn
Port Adelaide
Adelaide

1 Like

Err ok.

Here’s my top 8 (slightly biased):
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
GWS
Hawthorn
Sydney
Adelaide
Melbourne
West Coast

North Melbourne with the wooden spoon.

I know… Sounds crazy. They have a good team though. And the Storm have made it this year after a scandal. So who knows.

Agree with North for Spoons. Hope not though, I have a soft spot for North.

My Port Adelaide pick is probably wishful thinking. haha

My top 8:
Hawthorn
Essendon
Western Bulldogs
Sydney
West Coast
Adelaide
GWS
St Kilda

1 Like

Top 8 for 2017:
GWS
Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Sydney
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Geelong
Collingwood

1 Like

Everyone suddenly loves an underdog, don’t they?

Top 8
GWS
Western Bulldogs
Geelong
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Sydney
Collingwood [one can hope, though we’ll probably be horrifically booted out of finals in the first game]

Richmond for the spoon

Suddenly? I think its the Australian way to love an underdog.

It took Cronulla 2 years to go from last place after the Stephen Dank/Peptide scandal to NRL premiers…

Which itself was a pretty darn good effort, I can’t see the Bombers doing any better than that, winning the flag by 2018 even would be an awesome effort from them too.

Essendon will do a lot better next year, but I don’t think they’ll get no where near the Grand Final. Top 8 yes, Grand Final no. It’ll take a few years at least for them to fully recover.

However in saying that, half of their team will have fresh legs from not playing this year. How great would it be if they were to win the flag? Wooden spooners one year, premiers the next.

Go Dons! :wink:

I LOVE your optimism Turdall, but we might need a year first :wink:

I reckon Dogs were a once off fairytale.

It’ll either be Sydney or GWS?

I am no Essendon supporter. Trust me. But I feel they are good enough to win the GF. They were there and abouts before the saga and their team is definitely good enough. But maybe not next year.

St Kilda might be the surprise packets next year.

I agree the Bulldogs were a once off. They played a good finals series. But they had some shocking moments throughout the season.

I don’t think Sydney will win next year. I think GWS stand a good chance. I don’t rate Adelaide, I think teams have figured their weaknesses out. Hawthorn, if they can trade well, will be there and abouts again next year.

1 Like

And I reckon having that bye the week before the finals was really a hindrance to the Top 4 teams (eg. Geelong and GWS only had 1 game in 3 weeks by the time they played their Grand FInal qualifiers), and benefited the bottom four alot more, who otherwise wouldn’t have had a chance to get any sort of break.

I think it changed the dynamics of the finals, I don’t think the Bulldogs would have won the title without that pre-finals bye.

2 Likes

Is that such a bad thing though? I think it was a success and made the competition more even. I would recommend it again next year but hope they can do something AFL related that weekend before. Maybe a super tournament featuring teams players who are out or something.