AFL

Also, with both Geelong and GWS losing, this is the first time under the final eight system where both teams who won their respective qualifying finals failed to qualify for the grand final.

Hopefully the Swans and Dogs will put on a good show unlike the previous 2 GF’s (although I enjoyed them!).

That’s true. Just read the Storm won tonight’s game. Sydney vs Melbourne all-round. Media will have a field day. :grin:

2 Likes

[quote=“sammy123, post:101, topic:803, full:true”]
Also, with both Geelong and GWS losing, this is the first time under the final eight system where both teams who won their respective qualifying finals failed to qualify for the grand final.
[/quote]From what I’ve read, the general consensus is that the bye round played a part in both of them losing. Sour grapes, really. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I reckon the bye round will be scrapped next year because both Geelong and GWS really only played 1 game in a month leading up to the prelim and both lost. But stillthar doesn’t necessarily mean that this caused them both to lose!

1 Like

I doubt it will be back either. It was a silly experiment by the AFL. The two in-season byes should to be reintroduced for next season. Not that I think it has affected the finals results, but the whole comp lost momentum with one right before the final series.

One thing I find rather sad to come out of tonight’s win is that their captain Robert Murphy won’t be able to take part in it at all after he injured himself earlier in the year. He’s been there for something like 15 years and probably won’t have many more years left to play in one. Sh*** happens, but still…you have to feel for him. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

And bring back the Grand Final being on the last Saturday of September!

1 Like

Next year it will be. :wink:

2 Likes

I can’t wait for the Grand Final, I reckon it will be fantastic (now the Hawks have gone)!

I honestly think we could break an OzTam record on Saturday, both nationally for an AFL/NRL game & in Melbourne (last achieved in 2005).

If Footscray/Bulldogs win, breaking a 60 year drought :facepunch:

But with such a great finals series & the Dogs trying to hard, I am a bit worried.

They’ll throw everything at Sydney.

I know a lot are saying it is great to see another/different team feature in the Grand Final but I think the AFL have a very even playing field when it comes to the big day. Since the year 2000 11 teams have featured in at least one grand final, with that number to increase to 12. That means only 4 clubs, out of the original 16, have missed out. That being Adelaide, North Melbourne, Carlton and Richmond. If you look at the last 20 years (since 1996) every team except Richmond would have featured in a Grand Final. I think that is a pretty fair competition and something that the AFL should be commended on.

2 Likes

Richmond haven’t won a final since 2001. Even with all those draft picks they are still the AFL’ s laughing stock.

1 Like

They haven’t even appeared in a Grand Finals since 1982. It has been a long 30+ years for Tigers fans. But I am sure luck will change eventually, it has for the Bulldogs, St Kilda and even Sydney. I love how even it has been over these last 20 years. I hope the AFL can even work out a way for it to be even evener. I think a few ideas that have been floated around could potentially keep the bottom 10’s supporters more interested.

Richmond are now the only non-expansion club not to have played in an AFL (1990+) Grand Final

(I’m bored waiting to see whether I’ve got a ticket in the Swans ballot)

2 Likes

[quote=“sammy123, post:110, topic:803, full:true”]
Richmond haven’t won a final since 2001. Even with all those draft picks they are still the AFL’ s laughing stock.[/quote]They’re a laughing stock of their own doing. Richmond have made countless blunders over the past decade or so which keeps them where they are. They should’ve sacked Hardwick (the coach) this year, but it looks like they’ll go into yet another season with him at the helm.

[quote=“turdall, post:109, topic:803, full:true”]
I know a lot are saying it is great to see another/different team feature in the Grand Final but I think the AFL have a very even playing field when it comes to the big day. Since the year 2000 11 teams have featured in at least one grand final, with that number to increase to 12. That means only 4 clubs, out of the original 16, have missed out. That being Adelaide, North Melbourne, Carlton and Richmond. If you look at the last 20 years (since 1996) every team except Richmond would have featured in a Grand Final. I think that is a pretty fair competition and something that the AFL should be commended on.[/quote]Though in the past decade basically 1 or both of the same 3 teams have either featured or one the premiership - Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney (2010 being the exception to this with a Collingwood and St. Kilda GF).

You can also add the Lions to stretch it way back to 2001.

I think Hardwick’s had his day :confused:

I like Damien Hardwick. I think he is the right coach. I just think he recruitment team and the board have been calling too many shots. Game style and game play have been up there with some of the best.

But that happens. When you have a patch of good footy you will feature in more Grand Finals. Its not the first time that has happened. North feature in 3 GF’s in 4 years. Brisbane 4 in a row. West Coast have featured in 3 in 10 years. Collingwood featured in a 4 in 10 years as well. Every team goes through those patches of multiple GF appearances. But I think it is fantastic it can be said every team but one, outside expansion clubs, have featured in a Grand Final. It keeps fans happy.

2 Likes

Finally, Patrick Dangerfield is the Brownlow Medalist for 2016 with a record breaking 35 votes!

Dangerfield might have won the Brownlow, but it was not as lopsided as many people thought. Sydney’s Luke Parker and Richmond’s Dustin Martin put up strong challenges.
For the second year in a row, the winner was known with one round to go in the home and away season.

1 Like

Funny though. What would teams rather having nearly 20 players poll or one player poll over 40% of the votes?