AFL

See I thought although Dangerfield was good his disposal efficiency was shocking.

Jeez Selwood and Dangerfield’s back’s must be really sore after carrying their side! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

[quote=“Sifon, post:76, topic:803, full:true”]
God help us if it’s Sydney v GWS. The AFL’s wet dream Grand Final matchup.[/quote]Geelong fell over, who couldn’t see that one coming? Yes, precisely. I’ve been tipping this one for a number of weeks. Most people know that’s what the AFL would prefer (despite the high possibility of attracting a much lower attendence to the game and TV viewership overall). They’re def secretly hoping the Doggies fall over at the last hurdle/don’t show up to play tonight so they can get their wish of an all-Sydney GF.

For me, I’m really hoping the Doggies make this year’s decider, and more importantly, for them to finally break this 60+ year drought they’re on. I seriously couldn’t stomach GWS winning a flag before the Doggies and I’m honestly sick to death of seeing Sydney there.

Yeah whilst it was a massive game & I enjoyed watching the Swans’ amazing performance at the 'G in the MCC, I think you’re reading too much into it.

GWS have to make a GF at some stage & it could be this year (would he heartbreaking for the Dogs).

Melbourne always get like 1.4m tune into the AFL GF & 700K+ in Sydney if it is Swans (especially vs. GWS).

So it’d probably be one of the highest rating GFs tbh.

Massive crowd, around 72,000, was pretty much what the MCG expected.

We haven’t seen an exciting Grand Final, since Sydney last won (2012), that game also pulled 3.1m (metro) & became the 2nd most watched AFL/NRL game of all time…

You could see it coming from the very first Sydney goal in the gameplan they executed wasn’t just a repeat of what they did to Adelaide last week but Geelong as well when they last played them around two months ago.

Being a Cats supporter, there were two main issues which hurt them all season and came back to bite last night:

• Not ‘showing up’ to certain games - the losses to Collingwood, Carlton and St Kilda were inexcusable examples of that.
  • Over-relying on Selwodd and Dangerfield to carry the team
2 Likes

That first quarter was hard to watch, and you guys are all correct about the Cats. Their lack of depth has been evident for the last 2-3 years, I remember watching Selwood alone trying to carry us in the 2014 finals. While adding Dangerfield has helped, it’s the second-tier players that haven’t made the step up, and that hasn’t changed in this time. Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie, Blicavs, Motlop to name a few have all been around long enough to be able to deliver, but they all failed last night. I’ll forgive the young guys like McCarthy and Menegola, but these guys have played finals before. It’s all good and well for them to rack up 30 touches against Melbourne or Brisbane, but you need to show more when push comes to shove in the big games.

In my opinion, Bartel would be sensible to call time on his career now rather than risk spending a good chunk of next year in the reserves if he stays on. And while I think Enright could play another year, it would not surprise me if he too retires. Add to that that Mackie, Lonergan and Taylor are all aging, and we have a real problem going forward in our backline.

Still, after not making the 8 in 2015, finishing 2nd and making a prelim is a good result for Geelong this year. But the gulf in class shown last night shows we’ve still got a lot of improvement to make if we’re to go from being a good club to a potential premiership-winning club.

Oh, and if anyone can stop Sydney in their current form, my hat off to them. Their last two first quarters have been mindblowing. That GWS loss didn’t hurt them, it’s just given them a point to prove. They will demolish whoever the play next week

2 Likes

It seems so long ago now but does anyone remember when the Dogs were smashed in round 23 by the Dockers?

I can’t split this final.

I’ve gone GWS by a couple of goals, because of the home ground advantage & weeks rest.

I said the same about last night, but boy was I wrong.

So essentially… No idea :triumph:

Wow what a game and a result. My PVR didn’t record. Anyone know a free way to watch it?

2 Likes

AFL “Match Centre” (you use to be able to watch ANY game from the past few years) :+1:

afl.com.au

[quote=“Jeffmister, post:85, topic:803, full:true”]

• Over-relying on Selwodd and Dangerfield to carry the team
    [/quote]This. That’s the major reason why I had doubts about Geelong this year - they rely on too few to drag them across the line.

Good on the Doggies! :+1: I’m not a supporter but it’s great to see them playing this year’s title off. I really hope they win it next weekend for all their loyal supporters sticking with them. :dog:

Suck it up GWS & the AFL.

3 Likes

On what will most likely be the last finals series played like it is, the Western Bulldogs have made history (correct if wrong) they are the first time outside the top 4 to make the Grand Final in the current finals system. Can they win it? I have a feeling they might. I am jumping on the Bulldogs bandwagon. History says the team that plays in the close game in the prelims wins the GF.

l[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:90, topic:803”]
AFL “Match Centre” (you use to be able to watch ANY game from the past few years) :+1:

afl.com.au
[/quote]

Thanks I found it on youtube and am watching it. Its good because I can watch it on the tv from youtube.

2 Likes

BEST GAME OF FOOTY I’VE SEEN IN A VERY LONG TIME :smiley:

Purely because it was a nail biter, from start to finish.

The AFL & Ch 7 will be over the moon.

Everybody got the result they wanted (i.e.) Bulldogs historic win.

But everyone will feel for GWS, amazing effort.

Easily could’ve been an all-Sydney AFL GF!

@JohnsonTV @turdall @sammy123 @BJT2

2 Likes

Well, apart from Giants fans. But sure.

7 Likes

[quote=“OnAir, post:94, topic:803, full:true”]Well, apart from Giants fans. But sure.
[/quote]
Yes, all 10 of them, of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:93, topic:803, full:true”]
@JohnsonTV @turdall @sammy123 @BJT2
[/quote]Ahem! :wink:

1 Like

I know everybody jokes about GWS’ supporter base, but they do have followers…

16,000 members & at least 100,000 - 200,000 supporters (~90,000 followers on Facebook & 40k+ followers on Twitter).

I mean, those research reports say Sydney Swans are the most followed club nationally (around 1 million supporters & close to 60,000 members).

The same reports say Collingwood followed by Essendon are the two most supported VIC clubs.

Hawthorn have the most members.

I think the AFL would have loved an all Sydney GF. I don’t think they would be too upset with the Bulldogs breaking their 55 year drought. I think most neutral supporters will be wishing for a Bulldogs win. It would be nice to see them break their drought and for a different club to win a Grand Final. Channel 7 will definitely be sighing in relief as I believe an all Sydney GF could be been quite disastrous for them.

Not that long. I think the Hawthorn v Geelong game was the best game you saw. So two weeks. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

WOW just came back from work and saw the replay! Remember this was the team that played horribly against Freo in around 23! Never been so happy for a team other than my Hawks to get to the big dance. Let’s hope the Dogs can smash those Swans, don’t really care for a close match.

Dogs can be the first team to win a Premiership outside the top 4 since Adelaide did it in the 90’s.

3 Likes

[quote=“turdall, post:97, topic:803, full:true”]
I think the AFL would have loved an all Sydney GF. I don’t think they would be too upset with the Bulldogs breaking their 55 year drought. I think most neutral supporters will be wishing for a Bulldogs win. It would be nice to see them break their drought and for a different club to win a Grand Final. Channel 7 will definitely be sighing in relief as I believe an all Sydney GF could be been quite disastrous for them.
[/quote]Seven can now advertise all week that it is “state vs state, Sydney vs Melbourne”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“turdall, post:97, topic:803, full:true”]
Not that long. I think the Hawthorn v Geelong game was the best game you saw. So two weeks. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]Haha! IMO, tonight’s game was better. It had everything for mine. Great game (and the right team won in the end!). :slightly_smiling_face:

[quote=“sammy123, post:98, topic:803, full:true”]
WOW just came back from work and saw the replay! Remember this was the team that played horribly against Freo in around 23! Never been so happy for a team other than my Hawks to get to the big dance. Let’s hope the Dogs can smash those Swans, don’t really care for a close match.

Dogs can be the first team to win a Premiership outside the top 4 since Adelaide did it in the 90’s.[/quote]Let’s hope the doggies do exactly what Ted Whitten says in this video:

Doggie Woof! :grin:

1 Like

Over the next week, I’m almost certain that the mainstream media will really hype up how both major football grand finals are a “Sydney vs Melbourne” battle in 2016! But that’s for another topic.