AFL Coverage

Following your last point, for the Rio Olympics the ABC had to go it alone because Triple M (official FM broadcaster) merely simulcast Seven’s coverage and produced a Roy and HG post-Games show, so several AFL commentators from the ABC were used to call the action from Sydney.

That’s why Adam White was in for Gerard Whatley, and why Andrew Mayes was in for Alistair Nicolson on AFL games. they didn’t need many fill ins on NRL apart form Zane Bojack filling in for Quentin Hull. In the past Richard Svenson would fill in for David Morrow, and so would Craig Hamilton.

Who was the guy that called the GWS/West Coast game with Andrew Mayes? it sounded like Michael Maney, who did the SANFL for ABC in the past.

I wonder whether Triple M will ask to put the AFL on Digital only in Sydney

You would think that if they do retain the rights, the requirements about having to air every Lions (in QLD) & Swans (in NSW) match won’t be as strict (ie; airing games on digital radio like you mentioned) or even removed entirely so that the NRL coverage takes precedence.

I could see a situation whereby the requirement remains but only when it doesn’t conflict with their NRL commitments.

How can Cameron LIng do the color for 3AW when he is a Seven commentator too?

He has two employers. BT and Dennis do MMM and 7, Matthew Richardson works for 3AW too. It’s not uncommon.

If all results go the right way, I wonder if 3AW might have to take coverage via 6PR for a final in Perth? would MMM use a mixed team(JB and Adrian Barich and whoever they can get to fly to Perth) for a home final in WA?

My guess is Barry Denner with Reid for the WA final, and the SA crew for the the final in Adelaide. Brad Seymour could do the Swans final with JB or Brian Taylor, or they could use Dennis Cometti.

I’m surprised that ABC is taking the 2.10pm game since it will overlap with the Swans/Tigers game…

AFL won’t agree to that.

why shouldnt they? digital-only broadcast is a perfectly acceptable option

1 Like

Sunday Herald Sun (paywall) is now saying the next AFL radio rights will be announced as soon as this Tuesday (August 30) after the AFL Commission signs off the contracts. The report reports Crocmedia is bidding for a “master licence” i.e. effectively buy and then sub-licence all rights to AFL matches.

That was great calling from Tim Lane and Tony Leonard on 3AW in the last quarter of the Hawks/Magpies match. They got really excited in the last few minutes.

I wish that Rex Hunt was calling with Tony Leonard…he would have gotten excited about that game too…

Here are my guesses for 3AW and MMM(might be wrong.)
3AW
Second elimination final -West Coast v Western Bulldogs-likely call via 6PR with Adam Papalia, Mark Readings, Luke McPharlin & Peter Bell
Second qualifying final -Geelong v Hawthorn- the usual FNF crew.
First qualifying final -Sydney Swans v Greater Western Sydney-Tim Lane, Tony Leonard, Matthew Lloyd, Leigh Matthews and Doc Larkins
First elimination final - Adelaide v North Melbourne- Bruce Eva, Michael Christian, Luke Ball, Nathan Brown and Mick Warner(could use David Wildy from 5AA if they use a mixed crew, but i’m betting on 5AA doing their own call.)
as far as MMM the WA crew gets THursday Night, the usuals for Friday Night, but Saturday is a bit tricky since JB has chairman duties. Cometti could do either game, but the SA guys will do the night game.Maybe Barry Denner joins Chris Dittmar in Adelaide.
I guessed the 6PR crew for the Perth game because 3AW takes their coverage all the time, and it allows the 3AW guys to do the renaming games.

Libbi Gorr (host of Sunday morning show on ABC 774 Melbourne) was special boundary reporter at the Whitten Oval for tonight’s women’s match between the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne. Alister Nicholson and Andrew Mayes called the match for ABC Radio. Kelli Underwood would have been involved too, but I think she is saving her voice for the netball quad series final in Melbourne tomorrow.

Why??

Because of her push for more media coverage of women’s sport I think.

She has been involved with previous women’s footy broadcasts.