AFL Coverage

Not sure, he’s done the boundary for ABC games before and does VFL for Seven.

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/afl-coverage/1471/96?u=tamago_otoko

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/afl-coverage/1471/100?u=tamago_otoko

Bugger, I got the impression it was his decision to take a step back.

Drew was always one of my favourite callers on Seven back in the day, as well as doing a very good job with the cricket on ABC more recently. He called the '94 prelim (with Dennis, of course which my beloved Cats won after the siren) and I still have lines from his call of that game etched into my mind - one of the most epic games of football

ABC is taking the 2.10pm game- i wonder if it is due to the swimming finals overrunning into the Lions-Blues game(but that isn’t stopping 6WF from taking that game).

There is not much swimming at Rio this morning (four events) so it will finish before 12pm AEST. ABC Radio’s Olympics coverage will finish at 1pm AEST as scheduled.

Hmmm Kelli Underwood calling Lions-Blues? i tohught she did games in Melbourne?

She is based in Melbourne, obviously they are stretched with many commentators in Rio. I imagine she caught an aeroplane to Brisbane so there are sufficent callers.

It’s interesting, however to hear the “B” team callers get a shot on the games while the main guys are in Rio-like Anthony Tucker(SA) and Bret Sprigg(WA) getting some “main” games- obviously they are short staffed.

Is Adam White doing double time today? He called this afternoon’s Hawthorn-North Melbourne match with Brett Sprigg this afternoon, and I reckon Adam is also commentating tonight’s game between St Kilda and Sydney.

No matter how many times i’ve heard it, the way that Andrew Mayes and Nigel Carmody called the end of the Giants-Eagles game on ABC, including the goal just before the siren has to be one of the best calls i’ve hear all year. those guys really nailed it! but you should have heard the 6PR call- Drew Morphett, Brad Hardie and Karl Langdon went wild, obviously because the Eagles won!

He did with David Lithgow.
I thought that David Lithgow had been dropped, but with the Olympics going on he and Andrew Mayes seem to do most of the fill ins. so does Corbin Middlemas.
It was Corbin with Adam White, not Brett Sprigg(Brett was at the Power-Demons match with Matt Clinch.)

Adam White, Matt Clinch, Brett Sprigg and Corbin Middlemas have been doing the most games during the Olympics, with Andrew Mayes and Kelli Underwood not far behind. Anthony Tucker has done one game, and so has Neil Cross and Michael Price. Nigel Carmbody (VFL commentator on 7) has done two games.

Herald Sun reports the next AFL radio rights will finally be announced next week after chief executive Gillon McLachlan returned from the Rio Olympic Games to sign on the new contracts.

Adding to that report, The Age is reporting that Triple M believes it will retain the FM rights. While its “still unlikely but possible” that they could lose the rights to ARN (who is offering ‘stronger’ coverage in NSW & QLD), it seems like the ‘status quo’ will continue regarding the rights holders apart from Crocmedia extending their deal to cover FM in regional areas.

I find BT is much better on MMM than on Seven. he seems to wrok well with the MMM guys.

1 Like

He’s definitely also much better on Triple M than he was when he was working for 3AW

Jude Bolton was doing special comments on the north /Sydney game In Hobart
Then he is doing special comments on the gws / freo game in Sydney
Does that mean the mmm broadcast was done by watching TV coverage i think yes!!!

I think the calling of matches has changed.
Back in the day, 3AW had Rex Hunt and Shane Healy for the main games, and other guys like Frank Sparrow from 6PR and Ken Cunningham from 5AA while ABC had Tim Lane and Peter Booth for the big games and guys like Mike McCann, George Grljusich, Peter Walsh, Rod Kliner, Roger Willis and Wally Foreman.

The Sunday Telegraph’s article on Seven’s Rio Olympics coverage mentions the case of commentators calling sports “off tube” in recording booths. It seems it was also the case for ABC Radio. For example, Peter Walsh commentated the Showdown (Port Adelaide v Adelaide) at Adelaide Oval last night after covering basketball matches in the past fortnight. It is only possible if Walsh were calling action off TV. (Similarly for Tim Gavel who called Chloe Esposito’s gold medal win in modern pentathlon yesterday morning and commentated the Bledisloe Cup in Sydney last night)

You mention some legends in broadcasting in your comments.Awesome

After the 1996 Olympics I spoke to Tim Lane who had been calling athletics for ABC radio. He said that even though all the commentators were there in Atlanta, aside from the major sports they were called from the IBC for logistical reasons. So in a sense, why not reduce that cost further by not even leaving the country. So from what I can work out, Quentin Hull, Gerard Whatley and Alistair Nicolson are in Rio.
Also, don’t forget the ABC have teamed up with a commercial network in previous years to provide coverage so costs were spread.