AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

That has been debunked.

7 Likes

Maybe for now. But just reckon the talk of it will make them nervous. They like stability.

The stability of a broadcaster who sues when a contract doesn’t go their way? Seven are just as unstable. They have no streaming service and they have a track record of suing sports organizations.

8 Likes

Who says Foxtel isn’t going to be sold? 2yrs ago there was talk of it due to Telstra wanting out.

Telstra are still wanting out! So any business can sell at any time, or change management structure like 7 have done. Now they are wanting out of cricket.

So that’s a rubbish argument, things come and go.

The AFL will be looking for the best exposer and biggest bang for buck. Fox (Murdoch) will sell the idea to the AFL, that you just don’t get Foxtel coverage you also get nationwide coverage in our newspapers.

Ten and Nine can’t offer that.

Anyway, if old man Murdoch rolls over tomorrow and finds himself 6ft under the newspapers will be sold but that’s another story.

1 Like

Wasn’t Worner at the helm when they signed that deal? It is very clear Warburton has a different view on a number of things and with Kerry’s support has slowly altered the business’ position likewise.

1 Like

A couple of quotes from the original article I found interesting:

The move has left some television executives bemused, given Foxtel and Seven have negotiated extensions with the AFL in the past two years which will see them pay a combined $946m for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.

Suggests Ten’s offer is more than competitive financially

Meanwhile, Nine Entertainment, which has a free-to-air contract for the NRL throughout winter, has told the AFL it is interested in some rights, presenting a proposal to show AFL on Thursday nights, according to sources.

Does ‘Nine Entertainment’ include Stan? Weird if it does and they only want some matches. Makes more sense if it doesn’t.

3 Likes

Yes it was Worner.

This was the article about the deal 4yrs ago. Some very interesting quotes.

1 Like

Imagine

Thursday night on 9 (ad free on Stan)

Friday night and Sunday arvo on 7 (and 7 plus)

Saturday night on 10 (ad free on paramount)

And then the rest of home and away on Foxtel and Kayo.

Anzac Day and other marquee matches on 7 (and 7 plus)

2 Likes

What a disaster that would be for consumers

11 Likes

Yep. But that’s the kind of way the NFL splits itself up. It’s a fascinating debate. Surely something the AFL is weighing up.

1 Like

Unfortunately I think that would be a very bad outcome for the AFL in the long term.

2 Likes

Why couldn’t they use 7plus?
I’m guessing the deal is way too expensive to go on their own.
I don’t really know all the ins and outs of all the sports deals so don’t shoot me down.

Yeh. This is a really cool discussion. I think it’s worth thinking outside the square.

2 Likes

They could. In the next deal, Seven need to be able to stream their games on 7plus, along side their linear platform.

With the introduction of a permanent Thursday night game, the question will be, will Seven be showing 3 or 4 games per week? If they opt for only 3, we may see the Sunday Afternoon game go behind a paywall.

I don’t think your points there are selfish in the slightest. There is a huge portion on the public that don’t use streaming which does limit their ways of watching.

You would lose me as a casual viewer.

Foxtel boxes now can integrate streaming services so potentially anyone used to watching AFL via Foxtel could still use their box to access a streaming service as well as catchup services like 10Play .

1 Like

I don’t think that’s a possibility tbh, but it’s not horrendous for the viewer. Still only have to pay for Kayo to see every match each week. Probably would be helped if matches were streamed on 9now and Tenplay (with ads) as well.

I wish the AFL were in a position to produce and run their own streaming service and just go at it alone. I’d rather sign up to AFL+ or whatever than split services.

2 Likes

melbviewer either drinking the Murdoch koolaid, or the PR rep.

1 Like