AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

Check out the low ratings for VLF on Sunday - prime time games aren’t going to happen.

The VLF game was between the two AFLW games.

1 Like

That’s the problem when Seven relies on TV advertising as its primary income stream, whereas Nine has several income streams: TV advertising, radio advertising, newspaper sales, and real estate advertising (through Domain), allowing them to bid for several sporting rights at a time.

4 Likes

I agree, but that game was also between two non-Victorian teams so hard to judge.

Is that same for SANFL or just a VFL ratings situation?

Both the WAFL and SANFL still draw a crowd and relevance in those states.

This is very good news for Seven News Melbourne.

See the Sunday post - it also has SANFL

Unless Seven ventures into other territories like Nine has, and with a declining FTA audience, I reckon this deal will suck them dry in the later years to come

1 Like

From News Corp - but the article is all “According to The Age” - you’d think they could find out for themselves!

AFL signs record TV rights deal, richest deal in Australian sport history, $500m a year, Channel 9, Channel 7, Paramount | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Also reported in The Australian.

Reported news conference at 3pm.

3 Likes

I’d laugh if the headline this arvo is “Historic deal made with Nine Network”

2 Likes

So the question to nine is, do they continue with the footy shows etc on the network, or pull up stumps with those shows? 9 more years with the current hosts, why should nine bother?

6 Likes

Kevin Perry reporting 4.5 bill over 7 years

Nine have been running its footy shows since the 1990s without holding the TV rights for all but a five year period. If the shows rate and/or are profitable for the network, why would they not continue?

4 Likes

I’d hope they don’t, but fully understand if they do.

Depends on how well they rate and whether the money is worth it.

2 Likes

642m per year??? Wow

$640m a year. Wow

The majority of the increase is being paid by Foxtel.

1 Like

That’s $2.3m per game! :thinking: holly Molly thats a crazy figure to show AFL!

10 Likes

I’m just hoping my membership will lead to a cheaper Kayo subscription. Sending close to $750 to watch football every year is just way too much.

11 Likes