AFL broadcast rights 2025-2031

Super Saturday and 7Plus streaming were confirmed by the The Age article.

3 Likes

In WA it might?

Hamoshiash’s brother.

2 Likes

I did see that the interstate delay idea was mentioned in the past tense, as if it may have been scrapped last minute. Could be reading too much into it though.

1 Like

I don’t see how 10 Paramount can be criticised; it’s not as if they didn’t put in a bid - that would have been worth the criticism. But it was clear that the AFL really wanted the Seven and Foxtel combo to continue. It seems that the only way for 10 or for that matter Nine to win the rights would have been to put in a bid where they would lose money. Seems commercially sensible not to overbid.

In the process the rights are going to be very expensive for Seven for the seven years of the contract and make them less able to compete for other rights during that time.

6 Likes

Check out the low ratings for VLF on Sunday - prime time games aren’t going to happen.

The VLF game was between the two AFLW games.

1 Like

That’s the problem when Seven relies on TV advertising as its primary income stream, whereas Nine has several income streams: TV advertising, radio advertising, newspaper sales, and real estate advertising (through Domain), allowing them to bid for several sporting rights at a time.

4 Likes

I agree, but that game was also between two non-Victorian teams so hard to judge.

Is that same for SANFL or just a VFL ratings situation?

Both the WAFL and SANFL still draw a crowd and relevance in those states.

This is very good news for Seven News Melbourne.

See the Sunday post - it also has SANFL

Unless Seven ventures into other territories like Nine has, and with a declining FTA audience, I reckon this deal will suck them dry in the later years to come

1 Like

From News Corp - but the article is all “According to The Age” - you’d think they could find out for themselves!

AFL signs record TV rights deal, richest deal in Australian sport history, $500m a year, Channel 9, Channel 7, Paramount | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Also reported in The Australian.

Reported news conference at 3pm.

3 Likes

I’d laugh if the headline this arvo is “Historic deal made with Nine Network”

2 Likes

So the question to nine is, do they continue with the footy shows etc on the network, or pull up stumps with those shows? 9 more years with the current hosts, why should nine bother?

6 Likes

Kevin Perry reporting 4.5 bill over 7 years

Nine have been running its footy shows since the 1990s without holding the TV rights for all but a five year period. If the shows rate and/or are profitable for the network, why would they not continue?

4 Likes

I’d hope they don’t, but fully understand if they do.

Depends on how well they rate and whether the money is worth it.

2 Likes