Advice Thread

Not sure if we have one of these. Apologies if we do.

2 Likes

Good afternoon guys. Couldn’t find a word to say but recently, I have been feeling stressed about the uni studies that I am doing. I know to the fact that I have about 3 years to go until I complete my degree. It is a very hard time for me especially when there are a lot of unexpected events that will occur and things need to get into plan. In the past few days, I have been struggling mentally and socially in terms of the workload and other home duties (although I don’t have exams coming up next month). In the past 4 weeks, I haven’t gone to the gym as I was very busy with other commitments. I know to the point that I have been thinking carefully of other optional units that I will study during my final years at University. Sometimes it will change. I don’t want to offend anyone around Mediaspy. I will think carefully of my future plans.

2 Likes

Good luck with it all, hope everything works out.

1 Like

I know to the point that I have been struggling mentally and forgetting to complete a few tasks when I am supposed to have done a few days ago. In the past few days, I have been very busy when I headed off to dinner. At the moment, I have been feeling deranged with other things and an hour ago, I had a meltdown telling to myself that I am very stressed and having to do a lot of things. I bursted into tears saying that I failed to complete a few tasks and having a chunk load of assessments To complete over the next 3-4 weeks. (Thankfully I don’t have exams!!!) I have to say that it’s a dark place for me and I told myself and said, ‘what’s the future like for me?’ If I failed to complete chores in my house, I would be embarrassed. It’s been 4 weeks since I last headed to the gym for some exercise. Nevertheless, I have done a lot of work in my studies and am willing to strive for success.

1 Like

@Super_SC i know things are tough and i hope that you are accessing and receiving appropriate assistance to help you through this time. There are a number of confidential counselling services you can access such as Lifeline or Beyond Blue or depending on your age there is also Kids Help Line. Wishing you all the best

10 Likes

Given that this week is Mental Health Week (6-12 October 2019), I know to the point that struggling mentally is a sign of hopelessness. In the past 10 days, I have been cleaning out a lot of things and headed to appointments as well as going out to dinners. And now, I got to the period when things have started to go pear-shaped (go wrong), it made it extremely hard to think critically. It is rocket science and I don’t know what to say or what to determine. I’ve got uni class on today and I am willing to speak to someone who could help me with my mental health. There are a lot of services available like the psychologist where he/she could get in touch with me with the concerns that I have.

2 Likes

In addition to the support services @TelevisionAU listed above, your university will be able to provide or recommend services that are better tailored for you. It is always okay to reach out and seek assistance when you require it.

All the best, and hope you’re feeling better soon.

8 Likes

I have had a chat with a few students around me as well as my lecturers. During the morning, I have told them about how I am feeling at the moment. When I struggled mentally, my brain has started to slow down. It makes me feel very hesitant when I am trying to concentrate on my studies. I’ve looked up a few pamphlets on mental health on the website and they have a lot of disorders. I know to the point that I have been feeling very stressed with other tasks such as mapping out my study plan for 2020 through to 2022. My study plan notifies me that I will be studying during trimester 3 with my elective unit (late Nov through to late Jan 2022), as well as having an external examination after that, in Feb 2022. I’ve completed an elective unit last year (Mathematics). I have pencilled in other 2 elective units, however I needed 4 electives to complete my degree. I have been searching for the units that would be suitable and does not have a prerequisite. Most of the Level 3 units does require a prerequisite and therefore, I will not be able to undertake this unit. I’ve spent a few hours trying to find the units from various handbooks from different disciplines (Sciences, Humanities and Commerce). It is very hard to find some units on the website.
The bad thing that’s worrying me is that I was supposed to submit a job application that was about to be due on Sunday midnight but unfortunately, I didn’t have time as I was very busy on the computer focusing on my studies. When I was very busy on the computer I felt that I might have lost track of what I am supposed to be doing. Alas, I didn’t have enough sleep during the night and this could have a bit of detrimental effect on my studies and the future.

1 Like

Hey guys. I have revealed that I am suffering from flu and I was unable to speak quite clearly. This morning, I woke up and noticed that I had a stuffy nose. After having breakfast, I drank lots of warm lemon water. I believe that it is apparent that someone gave me the flu. I had flu 3 times in one year. Is there any tips on curing flu fast?

It’s more likely that you have the common cold, and if so, it’s really just a case of waiting it out. Your local pharmacy could help you with products to ease your symptoms in the meantime.

If you are concerned it could be more than a cold, best to visit your GP.

2 Likes

Yeah Bort, I have taken some Cordal Day and Night Flu and this will remove the bad flu. I know in the past 4 days that I have been in awful circumstances with mental stress.
Also, I got to the point where I was unable to speak clearly and it is likely that I have been developing a sign of laryngitis. I have been feeling to the point where things have not looked so good today. My throat looked quite sore and hence I drank warm water. IS there recommendations on to curing laryngitis?

I’d suggest a visit to your GP.

3 Likes

Hi guys.
Bit different to what you’ve heard on this thread before, but I need some advice on my YouTube channel.
My current name (for a mock tv station) is ‘HMV’ but I want to change it to SIX (stylised as 6).
‘HMV’ stands for Hawthorn Melbourne Victoria, where I live.
I feel like ‘HMV Local News’ is too complicated of a name, and if my channel ever gets big, I’m concerned about the actual HMV store (in terms of copyright).
Thoughts?

2 Likes

What about Hawthorn Television Victoria (HTV)? Could call it HTV6, the six network etc.

Could call the news six news, nightly news (lol), personally I’d go for HMV/HTV news. Could just call each episode a ‘news update’.

Anyway these are just some ideas, personally I think your news segments are fantastic the way they are.

1 Like

Hi there,
I just can’t get my kids to behave! Especially young Bort. Do you have any advice? I’m time poor but a loving mother, and just wish we could all get along better.

Thanks in advance from a hard working mum,
Toorak VIC

5 Likes

My son is also named Bort.

4 Likes

3 Likes

I really like these ideas.
Thanks so much @TonyCTC

FTFY

4 Likes

I wondered if you were aware of the HMV stores that used to exist in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. I spent hours and a small fortune on CDs and VHS tapes in the Pitt Street Mall superstore in the early 1990s.

4 Likes