ACE Radio (Regional)

From my experience both Wangaratta stations easily recievable in the car coming in like local stations, however Edge reception isn’t strong enough to be recieved indoors.

I’ve been able to get reception of the Edge to almost Wagga in the car - where it faded out was very similar to the point where I lost the Albury FMs.

2 Likes

CRA would know if it was an Xtra survey as per the regional survey panel.

This sounds like internal research, tracking.

Agree ABC should trial AF in this region but are limited on budget, doesn’t seem to be much for it.

MMM 105.7 and Hit 104.9. What a laugh those names are.

Edge has good in car coverage but in buildings within Wodonga; the Albury services are noticeably more easy to receive.

Edge had an office in Wodonga, how successful was it?

@AustralianAerial what freq has been proposed for 3NE’s conversion?

I have found mobile reception of Edge continuous (acceptably) to Holbrook. General consumers would look for a different station before Tarcutta due to the two further mountain ranges the freeway crosses.

In building reception of Edge in Holbrook is poor. Tip - the bakery is great, bypassed but worth turning off at the southern end. I’m not a big fan of bakery items, but this is worth a stop when travelling. I feel better than the Beechworth bakery chain.

3 Likes

Not sure - all I know is that Wangaratta is listed as a ‘pending’ market for conversion on the ACMA website.

Missed that last time I was up there, though the HMAS Otway was admittedly somewhat of a distraction

1 Like

They still do (or did the until the takeover). I assume this has been/will be integrated into 2AY’s office.
I believe it was only staffed by 1 account manager and did more 3NE sales than Edge.

1 Like

Things I have noticed about The Edge since Ace has taken over. They general only use the same short stings in between songs a quick “The Edge” Its very repetitive and they have taken away any localisms that they use to have no mention of frequency or local locations or use of Where real music lives. I generally listened when the station was commercial free which is no more Ace now airs commercials throughout the night which seems like every 15 minutes which seems overkill when you are use to commerical free. Play list might of been tweak slightly but not really noticeable.

4 Likes

I have notice that too mate. One good thing is that they have taken away the “Where real music lives”, it did not suit the music that they are playing and I think they copped a lot of flak about it. They have been saying they have tweak the music, to me its still the same bland repetitive music.
A funny thing I was talking to a owner of one of their biggest advertisers last night and he was going on how bad the station is.
After listening to the The Edge over the past 2 weeks and the words that have been coming out of their mouths, I really don’t have much faith in ACE. I really hope they prove me wrong and make the station feel more local and make the playlist less bland and repetitive.

2 Likes

The format was originally catered for the 25+ female group and still is. This was one of their biggest downfall, it pied off a lot of their male listeners and then it was down hill from then. Going for one gender in a small market does not work.

3 Likes

Weird stuff happening with the Wangaratta and Deniliquin websites at the moment - the domains are pointing to the wrong sites.

edgefm.com.au - Edge Wangaratta
www.edgefm.com.au - 3NE

1025theedge.com.au - 3NE
www.1025theedge.com.au - 2QN

2qn.com.au - Edge Deniliquin
www.2qn.com.au - 3NE

3ne.com.au - 2QN
www.3ne.com.au - 2QN

2 Likes

DNS propagation delay I’d guess. All looks synchronised now.

This is the reason why I left the station. I was so sick of being abuse by the unhappy listeners which was out of my hands and talking to a Music Director that had no idea. I was in Echuca last week and it still sounds like a very poor mans version of Mix 101.1 Melbourne when they were catering for the Female 25 to 54 grocery buyers. I hate to say, but I think Ace radio will not do any better. I was hoping for Grant Broadcasters to buy the stations and not this group.

2 Likes

I wonder when they will get streaming setup for these stations. I’m really only familiar with their “Flashback Friday” and weekend playlists which tend to skew a bit more Classic Rock than other reports would suggest.
I’ll be up that way early next week though so will try to catch a listen to their “weekday” playlist.

3 Likes

I heard the start of December mate. I don’t mine Flashback Fridays, the music is a lot more adventures and you do hear a bit of Classic Rock in the mix. I always found their weekend playlist is a lot wider then the workday playlist.

I was speaking with their old PD about 12 months ago and he said they do cater for the female 30 to 50 year old group.

3 Likes

I agree. It gives them a point of difference from the SCA stations.

4 Likes

102.5 The Edge was having tech issues today between 12 and 1 this arvo. It went silence with people talking in the background for a bit and then wall to wall music for about 30 mins. It was funny when the issue was fixed how the announcer made out to be that there was nothing wrong.

2 Likes

That’s what happens when the show is pre recorded.

3 Likes

I heard it is not any better since ACE took over.

1 Like

The music is not any better at all, but one thing that I have noticed is the flow of the music is much better.

1 Like

How do you know it’s pre recorded?

Breakfast Hosts do the Afternoon Shift on their frequency companions e.g Dave does 2QN Breakfast & 3NE Afternoons

1 Like

Matt who does Breakfast on 102.1 The Edge does afternoons on 102.5 The Edge, I think the later would be pre recorded. Andrew Brett doe’s 10am to 2pm on both station. I don’t know whether he is pre recorded or not, but by the sound of things he is. Theinsider or DJ Pizarro would probably know the answer.

1 Like