ACE Radio (Regional)

what’s the point when 3AW’s 693 signal is heard in many parts of 3CS’s area (including Colac itself) like a local station. It’s doubling up!

What a dismal looking schedule that is.

1 Like

It’s little wonder why in the 2014 radio ratings survey for Colac, 3CS could only manage a 16% share, in which it was beaten by ABC Melbourne & got nearly half the listeners that sister station Mixx FM had. The Other “non-listed” stations accounted for 22.6% of the listeners surveyed.

2 Likes

And you can be rest assured they weren’t listening to the Geelong commercials in any great numbers.

1 Like

Ace has applied to AMCA for an FM repeater for Gold 1242 (3GV) at Bairnsdale on 98.3 MHz.
http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/proposed-variation-sale-and-remote-radio-laps

2 Likes

They should probably ditch 1242 altogether and get an additional FM frequency in the Latrobe Valley too like they have currently for TRFM.

Proposed idea:
Latrobe Valley

• TRFM 99.5
  • Gold 98.3

Bairnsdale

• TRFM 99.9
  • Gold 99.1

This is assuming 99.1 is free? I’d move 98.3 to the Latrobe Valley as in Bairnsdale it’s probably a little too close to ABC RN on 98.7 in Orbost.

On this though, it is odd that TRFM is 99.5 in the Latrobe Valley as this frequency is also used for 3RPH in Geelong. I would have thought 99.9 would have been more suitable for Latrobe Valley and 99.5 could be used in Bairnsdale being a lot further from Geelong. 99.5/99.9 have been on-air since 2002.

1 Like

Gold (3GV) are not eligible for a full AM to FM conversion, hence why they won’t have a high-power FM licence from Mt Tassie for the Latrobe Valley. The reason is because of its huge overlap with the Warragul licence area in the Latrobe Valley.

I agree that 98.3 or 99.9 should be used as the commercial FM frequencies for Traralgon / Sale (and not 99.5).
But I would have allocated 99.1 to Bairnsdale, not 99.5.
This is so stations maintain the 0.8 mhz spacing in their markets.

1 Like

However the licence areas were amended to allow for s.39 licences to be issued.

Current s.30 figures show a 42% overlap of Warragul RA1 in Sale RA1 but below 30% for Warragul.

ACE to become majority owners of 3NE/Edge FM and 2QN/Edge FM from November 1.

2 Likes

Not really good at all

How sad we have such a lack of choice how it is. My mum often has the car tuned into 2qn and i personally listen to the Edge more than any local station because i feel the local ACE stations don’t cater to my taste.

2 Likes

Edge I like that for a FM radio name, would be nice to see them use that as there main FM network but I could never see that happening! I think MIXX is here to stay…

1 Like

Ace stations are just repeaters of 3AW content across Victoria bar a couple of local shows, kinda sad really.

6 Likes

Yep, I feel sorry for people living in Swan Hill and other area where ACE are because of the lack of music variety. (Unless you are a under 30 year old female). Last time I was listening, all I heard on Mixx was just top 40 pop music while 3SH was talk back. I think Mixx should go more Hot AC, like the BOG FM stations since the AM network are Talkback.

2 Likes

If there’s only two stations in a market, neither should be talk.

8 Likes

Agree mate, most places have the ABC.

3 Likes

Agree, a morning talkback show like Ray Hadley or Neil Mitchell is more than enough.

This doesnt auger well for 2QN, 3NE and The Edge.

1 Like

And Commercial Radio Australia are wondering why people are turning to online sources for music…

Outside of the big markets, I will stream radio or use my iPod. Very rarely in country areas do I listen to the radio.

3 Likes

I’m in a ACE radio area and I can tell you CD.s are always playing in the car and thank god for I heart radio and Spotify around home!

3 Likes