ACE Radio (Regional)

New breakfast show on Edge 1025. Aaron & Indi

Is that who won the ACRA?

Not sure, I think it was somebody else who doesn’t even feature on there website. Go figure

Where is repeater transmitter for 98.3 FM located ie for gold1242?

Can’t seem to find it in the Radio Guide app on my ipad.

It’s located near Bairnsdale.

Edit: Just checked on the same Radio Guide app & it’s not listed there. It is on the ACMA listings though.

1 Like

Yeah its good they announcer does say both frequency although a bit of mouthful. It must be fairly new.

Might be more of a random topic, wonder if most commercial stations announce their repeater frequency or not? WSFM doesn’t at all.

98.3 3GV/t has been on air for at least 18 months from Mount Taylor/Bairnsdale. The coverage is fairly good; you can hear it as far east as Cann River on the Princes Highway and you can also receive it from Mount Cooper, a high spot between Bombala and Nimmitabel.

3 Likes

And as far west as??? on the Princes and Gippy highways?

Can actually barely receive it in Stratford which is the first town west on the Princes Highway where they have billboards advertising 98.3 FM.
99.9 which is TRFM from the same transmitter is actually stronger. Are 98.3 and 99.9 the same power from Mount Taylor?

1 Like

Yes, they’re supposed to be.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried it towards the west , sorry. The last time I was west of Cann River was June 2017- it may have been on air then but didn’t think to try.

Have noticed the same thing. 3GV FM translator coverage towards Sale is not good.

1 Like

Strange - does it have different specs to TRFM? May do as the GV AM transmitter is somewhere near Maffra from memory, so the FM service isn’t given as much juice to the west so as to avoid providing a defacto FM conversion for Sale listeners?

Still find the need for an FM translator questionable for that service. I spent a lot of time in Bairnsdale and surrounds years ago and never remember the 3TR/3GV signal being that weak at all. Orbost/Lakes Entrance way maybe, but not in Bairnsdale, unless something has changed

1 Like

I think it was because they weren’t eligible for a full AM-FM conversion (for solus markets) as there is overlap with Warragul RA1 but further east there is no overlap so it gives East Gippsland listeners at least a second commercial FM Stereo service.

3 Likes

Can you receive the AM 1242 service in Mallacoota? How far east can 1242 be received?

How far south does 2EC and Power FM reach?

Re. reception in Mallacoota, you can’t really get any of the main Gippsland services there, apart from 828 kHz from Sale. 3MGB (101.7 and 96.9) is really the only local service out there to go with the ABC translators 103.3 and 104.9. 2EC (Eden, Bega) and Power FM (Bega) make it but reception isn’t great. Mallacoota is officially in the 2EC/Power FM licence area for those who aren’t aware.

1242 was OK with my big loop but pretty weak on the car radio iirc. Mount Tassie is non existent during flat tropo conditions although when there’s some enhancement about, the Mt. Tassie services can romp in. I even had 103.1 3BBR Warragul strong on the car radio driving out of Mallacooties (March 2016).

3 Likes

I thought it would be. Last travelled nearby in '97 when EMF was lower and AM sites better maintained. 1242 was suffering at Cann River.

Surprised to keep listening in following days when touring to hear them make mention of Mallacoota, a shop was an ‘agent’ for 3TR, some kind of community classifieds idea, yet I thought that reception would be minimal.

Hence the need for the local community station, set up due to NSW signals with no local information and unreliable reception AM 828, especially during bushfire which can reduce AM coverage.

The Bega RA1 area is fascinating. Upon first glance at Google maps, it appears to stop at the Vic border however there’s an enclave for Mallacoota itself.

If the licence area was drawn without consideration for the border, it would go due south to Tamboon/Point Hicks Lighthouse further west of Mallacoota.

Interesting that the Camerons haven’t applied for translators, that would give the community station some curry but if run right, shouldn’t matter as the community station can be hyper local.

Any AM or FM under normal conditions from Tas?

That’s interesting about Mallacoota being in the Bega licence area. Having it attached to the Sale one would make a lot more sense eg. Victorian news and better AFL coverage etc.

1 Like

Probably a geographic thing. Mallacoota is a lot closer to Bega than Sale. The residents there even travel to Canberra instead of Melbourne when they require city services/shopping/hospitals etc.

I believe 2EC does carry AFL Nation also?

2 Likes

They do on Saturday afternoons.

1 Like