ABC operations

I’ve searched online for this report but can’t find anything. Got a link? I’d like to judge for myself and make a complaint if there’s any substance there.

But we can change the way events of the past are treated in the future. Imagine society applied that kind of attitude to every hot button social issue of the past.

2 Likes

Thanks, found it on 7 Plus. Only a brief clip from the news channel, unfortunately I didn’t recognise the presenter or her voice, but that was poor and appears to go against their actual editorial policy on the matter which has. Been misreported by several news outlets.

1 Like

Except every poll and bit of research says more and more Australians value and trust the ABC and in particular, ABC News each year.

This is an interesting discussion about ABC operations

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Australia Day

Have removed a whole stack of posts re Australia Day / January 26 / etc to a new thread

Australia Day

6 Likes

… actually that’s not true, the measure of “trust” (for all media) has gone down over the past few years … and all the polls said that Bill Shorten was gonna be PM … having worked for many years in television programming, I’m well aware of how the way that questions are asked can affect the outcome … for example, people keep quoting the figure of 82% “trust” in the ABC from a Roy Morgan poll … but the actual poll was about “brands” and the ABC brand came in fourth after Aldi, Bunnings and Qantas … but it suits some people to misquote that research as if it was about ABC news content … the other thing about research into the ABC is that there is a significant element of “donkey” vote … feeling that they should be watching the ABC so say they are … don’t get me wrong, the ABC still comes out way ahead of other broadcast news outfits, but the overall decline is there …

Often seen that one used out of context. I like to use the Reuters Institute report. Much more in depth.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2020-06/DNR_2020_FINAL.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjgyeipp7nuAhXBjOYKHXNND9EQFjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3q0qm7NvbaAS7qH8XW4fml

… yep, I picked up on that one for the first time last year so don’t have any previous reference to compare … I’ve subscribed to the Essential Report for years because it goes into even greater detail of “levels” of trust which, significantly, others most often quoted don’t … particularly the low numbers for “a lot of trust” compared to the “some trust” figure … journalists tend to lump the two together to make the overall figure look good, but it must worry those people who actually take it seriously …

“The ABC was not established to deliver hyperlocal news across Australia,” the [ABC] submission says.
… but when I worked for ABC Local (before the news department was handed control in 2016) we used to do “hyperlocal” stories all the time … it has nothing to do with repeated budget cuts by the Coalition and everything to do with a Sydney-centric news department that now expects regional staff to identify and produce “content that can be shared … across the ABC on multiple platforms” rather than being for the interest of the local communities that they are supposed to serve …

1 Like

WOT … people who know something about broadcasting on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation board … it’ll never fly :rofl:

Maybelle Lin is the 2021 AFTRS and ABC Selwyn Speight Diversity Scholarship Recipient

Maybelle-Lin-957x480-957x480-c-default

Editor and writer, Maybelle Lin, from New South Wales, is the recipient of this year’s Selwyn Speight Diversity Scholarship, awarded by the Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS) and the ABC.

The scholarship is made available through a $20,000 bequest from the late ABC journalist Selwyn Speight and supports emerging radio students from diverse and under-represented communities.

Both Maybelle’s parents were immigrants, with her father from Singapore and her mother from Indonesia. Since graduating from UNSW with a Bachelor of Media she has been working as an editor and writer for lifestyle and business publications.

Maybelle said she wanted to widen her skills, particularly in radio and podcasting. “The dream is to tell the stories of under-represented people, creating content so their voices are heard. I want to be behind the scenes, producing with other diverse creators that simply want to better the world,” she said.

Outside of journalism, Maybelle has a strong interest in freestyle hip hop. She regularly participates in dance events and runs her own community hip hop competitions, which she says has connected her with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds.

Maybelle will intern at the ABC throughout the year and receive a 12-month employment contract at the end of the course.

ABC’s Director of Regional & Local, Judith Whelan congratulated Maybelle as the third recipient of the scholarship. “Reflecting contemporary Australia is a priority of our Five Year Plan which we released last year. This scholarship has an important place in how we deliver on that plan.”

AFTRS Head of Radio, Fyona Smith, said: “AFTRS is committed to providing scholarship opportunities to encourage diverse content creators. Maybelle brings extensive writing experience to AFTRS and her audio submission was a standout. We are looking forward to Maybelle studying with us this year and working with the ABC.”

… at nearly 25 minutes this will probably wear out the majority of those with short attention spans …

2 Likes

What are getup trying to achieve with this? It’s preaching to the converted. The usual noisy anti mob will never be won over by a getup film supporting the ABC.

4 Likes

… and true to form, GetUp! has hidden comments containing facts that do not line up with their one-sided version … so I reproduce one of those hidden comments below …

I was working for the ABC before the coalition came to power in 2013 and cuts in all departments but one had been ongoing prior to that. The main reason for these cuts was the introduction in 2010 of an unbudgeted, unfunded ABC news channel that sucked tens of millions of dollars in funds from every other program department of the ABC to fund its establishment and ongoing costs. In early 2013, before the election, the ABC news department ran a nationwide, all staff presentation to proudly boast that a further $20million had been removed from other departments in that year’s allocation alone and given to the news department. Kevin Rudd then lost the election to Tony Abbott who came into power and reduced the ABC’s overall budget. As a result of that stupid, luddite decision the ABC, unions, GetUp! and some journalists were then able to blame all of the following job cuts on that rather than simply the compounding effect of that cut on the decisions already made by the ABC itself. The Turnbull government “paused” the indexation of the ABC’s budget in 2018, however, as “indexation” is based on CPI and CPI is currently going backwards due to COVID, that has actually had very little effect on the funding the ABC would have received. The other main reason for the ABC’s inability to balance its own budget is that the average ABC journalist has had pay rises totalling 38.5% between 2013 and 2020 (Source: ABC Enterprise Agreement Bands 4/5) compared to inflation of 12.2% (Source: RBA Inflation Calculator). Yes, the ABC is under threat … from incompetent management and a staff that is more interested in itself than its audience.

1 Like

That’s quite a strong statistic but not unusual for the public sector. One of the reasons that privatisation is often called for because of bloated salaries.

MEAA media vice president Karen Percy says “There’s just a real mismatch between the rhetoric and the reality of what they’re doing”
… that’s because most of what we read as a quote from the ABC has been written by people who call themselves journalists in the ABC’s corporate spin department and, like the majority of people who work at the ABC, they are totally inwardly focussed and removed from reality.
With the “hollowing out of senior people” the ABC news department now resembles a kindergarten playpen with no management or control over what they do or publish.
Ms Percy says that in the ABC “hunger games”, it is often older, more experienced members of staff who are targeted … absolutely true … and yet, as in my earlier post, those inexperienced people who replace them quickly climb the income ladder resulting in the same problem rearing its head in a few years down the track. This can’t go on.