ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Guy Stayner presenting on Sunday in Victoria again this week.

1 Like

Canberra is using the daytime backdrop now, maybe as of start of last week.

Recording from Thursday:

1 Like

Absolutely inexplicable how ABV has zero decent presenters outside of Henderson and Oudyn. Stayner has been tried for 15 years and still stinks.

Does Queensland have a new backdrop? The backdrop on the Saturday and tonight’s bulletin looked different from previous.

What’s even worse is the fact that their newsreading schedule is so inconsistent. Every time I come onto this thread it’s always someone else other than Henderson/Oudyn presenting in Victoria.

Bev O’Connor should be utilised more.

4 Likes

I think ABC News NSW has had Juanita Phillips, Jeremy Fernandez and Nicole Chettle in that order as their established presenter roster for a while now.

Of course there were those Friday/Saturday bulletins presented by Chris Bath several months back, but apart from that the last time our 7pm bulletin wasn’t fronted by any of the main three was probably Scott Bevan in Late 2015 when he was still at the ABC?

Is the very stable and consistent (as it should be, of course) presenter roster for the 7pm bulletin here in NSW the exception rather than the norm? If so, that’s rather weird…

I’m quoting Victoria because it’s the exception. It almost feels like that the fill-in presenters are on more often than the permanent ones.

3 Likes

Victoria seems to be the exception. Henderson (I presume in preparation for retirement - he’s 64, I think) does Mon-Thu, Oudyn Fri-Sun but lately there’s been a lot of inconsistency about who fills in. Seems to be Guy Stayner, weatherman Paul Higgins or reporter Gloria Kalache.

As @mirb pointed out, Bev O’Connor is a great talent not being used apart from News24. I’d also argue Michael Rowland should be used at 7pm as a
fill-in, and News Breakfast use one of their many fill-ins.

4 Likes

From the little I’ve seen of Michael Rowland’s presenting on News Breakfast, I think he’d probably do a great job filling in on ABC News Victoria. Infact, I’d probably go as far as saying that he should be one of the candidates for the main role on a fulltime basis whenever Ian Henderson decides to call it a day!

2 Likes

Ben Knight has popped up occasionally since his return from Washington DC. Not sure why they don’t put one of the radio news readers in. Stick a suit on Jim Graham and turn up the bass.

Let’s just say none of the radio newsreaders would look right on TV.

https://twitter.com/australian/status/928519548055166976

The ABC will grow stronger, 30-year veteran ABC journalist, Matt Peacock, told colleagues today as he confirmed he was leaving the national broadcaster.

Peacock, who is also the staff elected director and senior 7.30 reporter, has taken a voluntary redundancy and leaves in early February, necessitating a fresh election among staff for the board position.

“My departure — which I had not even contemplated until three weeks ago — will make way for some fresh talent at 7.30. It’s not been an easy decision, but on balance I think it’s a good time for me to leave,” Peacock told colleagues in an email.

Guy Stayner presented Friday - Sunday 7pm News bulletin in Victoria this week.

What about Paul Higgins? He gets a lot of kudos when he fills in reading the news.

2 Likes

Tasmanian newsreader, Peter Gee, had a very nasty bike accident recently and has been away from the new for a while and will be for the rest of the year with a hope to return early next year. Looks like he’s been very lucky.

Geez he is very lucky isn’t he! Also explains why Emilie Gramenz has been presenting all this week.

Ahh. I wondered who it was, only turned across mid-bulletin a couple of times.

https://twitter.com/emgramenz/status/931005810662031360

https://twitter.com/Ange_Ross/status/931010480612581376

3 Likes

Angela presented tonight’s bulletin.

There was also a brief mention at the end of tonight’s news about Pete and that he would return early next year.