ABC News Presenters and Reporters

She wasn’t bad, but she went a little fast for my tastes. She could also have stood slightly more to the right of screen so as not to obscure the maximum/minimum temperatures on the coast.

2 Likes

Guy Stayner presenting Friday -Sunday in Victoria this week.

2 Likes

Unless I was sleeping, tonight’s report on Shorten’s plan for a republic referendum included a statement from the Australian Republican Movement, but not the Australian Monarchist League.

Why?

1 Like

They’re in bed by 7pm.

4 Likes

In Melbourne I didn’t catch his name but there was a youngish gentleman giving a grab outside parliament and I remarked that Flint had moved on.

Correction, just rewatched on iview and @Firetorch you were correct, no one from the monarchists league was on. It was Gareth Legget I’d seen earlier on 7 News, I’d forgotten I’d seen any earlier news. Although Deputy PM did get a good run on ABC News in the same piece.

That would definitely explain why the states with generally a lower median age voted more strongly for No to a republic last time. :wink:

Keep a low profile while the enemy is making a mistake.

Monarchists know that a republican movement is dead in the water while Lizzie is alive. Why would they give the republicans the satisfaction of responding.

1 Like

Perhaps, but if what Frankie is saying is correct regarding a statement being made on 7 News by the Monarchist League, then that can’t be the reason.

And yes Joyce made a few comments in the ABC report, but so did Bill Shorten. It’s the fact the ABC included comments from the main lobby group on only ONE side of the argument…hopefully MediaWatch is on to this.

I had a poke around google and it seems there’s Australian Monarchist League and Australian for Constitutional Monarchy. Would it be more productive if these two groups joined forces or is there something in their history that they remain separate?

There’s nothing stopping the vote from having a built-in trigger (ie “Do you agree that Australia should become a republic following the death of Queen Elizabeth II?”).

Also, the woman is 91…this isn’t exactly a far-off issue at this point.

1 Like

While someone address that piece of ABC News bias, why did the 7pm bulletin last night (in WA at least) contain a v/o regarding riots in Hackney, London following the “death in custody” of a black individual, when an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission has revealed he had swallowed a stash of drugs which were found in his passageway?

I find it puzzling (well, not really) that the ABC would OMIT totally this crucial piece of independently verified information as to WHY he died, but then also use the very specific term “death in custody” which is used in an Australian context. The ABC wouldn’t try to mould a report to fit an Australian narrative, would they?

His death is also being investigated by the IPCC, which has revealed an early pathology report shows he had “a number of packages in his throat” when he died.

An extremely abrupt ending to ABC NSW News tonight.

Juanita barely finished saying “thanks for that Georgie” (for the weather update) and Leigh Sales was already on our screens with 7:30.

6 Likes

About a few years ago, there was almost always a wrap up of the top news stories at the end of a local bulletin.

Nowadays there isn’t even any time for a closer!

3 Likes

Same happened in Queensland last night too. Probably a switching issue or control fucked up the countdown and the local news thought they had a few more seconds.

2 Likes

7.30 seems to start at 7:32 so they already have extra time to wrap up their bulletins. Maybe someone needs to get the whip out.

1 Like

Yes, the “7:32 Report” doesn’t have the same ring to it, does it? :grin:

3 Likes

Gloria Kalache presenting in Victoria Friday -Sunday this week.

3 Likes

Is it just me, or are all graphics on Victoria’s bulletin now HD? With only the studio footage still SD?

The Australian reports today that ABC news bulletins could appear on Qantas inflight entertainment as a result of a tendering process. Sky News’ current three-year contract expires this year and ABC Commercial has entered the fray as a third-party supplier to outdoor advertising firm oOh!, whose pitch includes a proposal to use ABC News content. Qantas already has a commercial contract with oOh! for advertising and marketing services in airport lounges.

6 Likes

Hopefully that comes to fruition so Sky News isn’t exposed to any more people than necessary. ABC provide a better news service anyway.

5 Likes