ABC News Presenters and Reporters

The problem is, despite Chris Bath being praised on this forum, that has not translated to the same level of popularity with viewers (at least as measured by ratings).

4 Likes

That’s true, although Bath never had the benefit of a good lead-in during her tenure at Seven, and she was never going to have the same switch-over pulling power as Roscoe.

I couldn’t see her doing worse than Ferguson is now.

5 Likes

That’s really the point; if she was so popular with the viewers it shouldn’t make any difference what the lead in is, they will switch channels to watch; they do for other news readers - why not her?

I was more making a point that I think Seven made a mistake to get rid of her. She wasn’t unpopular, just never really had any luck, and had she have stayed on, she’d probably be doing better than Ferguson.

3 Likes

I don’t think it can be that easily judged whether Chris Bath would be rating better than the current line-up considering how different the 2017 6pm environment is to 2013. For example, bulletins now run for 1 hour and there is news programming all afternoon and it is not just the main anchor that has changed. Other presenters and reporters are different plus the presentation and story telling style have changed. In addition the opposition at Nine have altered their bulletin and even Ten has a different line-up. In short, a very different channel 7 at 6pm in a very different TV environment.

2 Likes

If Chris Bath was still on weeknights on Seven News Sydney this day, the gap might be considerably less compared to ‘Fergo’ right now (provided that the appearance and content are both better). They have The Chase as the lead in and I daresay Bathie would rate better than Fergo if she was on today.

2 Likes

Yep, I agree.

Since Chris Bath left Seven News Sydney, virtually every element of the bulletin has changed (graphics, set, theme music, the lead-in program plus the sport, weather and weekend presenters) at least once…except for the content and Mark Ferguson. Despite all those changes, they’re still trailing behind Nine most nights! That probably says quite a lot.

Although Chris Bath did do a very good job filling in on ABC News NSW last night, I think her TV presenting appearances at ABC News might be limited to the occasional fill-in roles for the moment. If in the future, a prominent presenting gap opens at the ABC’s TV news/current affairs department which is a role that would suit Chris Bath, the ABC absolutely should consider using her for that.

But until then, I think the ABC would want Bathie to continue on the radio where she’s helping the ratings of Evenings on ABC Radio if the results of recent Sydney radio surveys are anything to go by…

1 Like

Chris Bath going to present again tonight? Or is it going to be Nicole Chettle?

1 Like

Yep, Chris Bath is presenting ABC News NSW again tonight!

7 Likes

Video montages please. Can’t get enough of Chris!

4 Likes

How do you know that’s what happened?

They might have made all sorts of attempts to try and keep her.

But if someone has made up their mind to go from an organisation, sometimes nothing, not even huge bucks or a promotion or whatever, will keep them there and management just have to swallow it. Managements can’t force people to stay.

3 Likes

ABC News Queensland’s Jessica Van Vonderen (not sure how her last name is spelt) was just choking back tears on air after a story about the famine in Somaliland. The preceding story was extremely hard to watch.

2 Likes

Chris Bath presenting NSW bulletin again tonight.

11 Likes

Paul Higgins presenting in Victoria Friday -Sunday this week, filling in for Tamara Oudyn who is on holidays for two weeks.

2 Likes

Tamara seems to be away considerably more than Ian.

Well Ian will be going on holidays when Tamara returns. Ian is having 5 weeks off.

1 Like
4 Likes

Glad I wasn’t in Brisbane tonight for that 88°!!

6 Likes

Just looking at the graphic ^^^ again this morning and I thought “who the hell put that together”

Archerfield is on the Southside of Brisbane not too far from the CBD, but has been placed all the way down near the Gold Coast.

And Gympie is an hour’s drive north of the Sunshine Coast but has been placed southwest of it! :scream:

1 Like

It’s pretty far from the CBD. Source: live on the Southside of Brisbane.