ABC News Presenters and Reporters

The Victorian bulletin ran to 7.32pm and went straight to 7.30 tonight, SBS went to 7.36pm. Not sure if any special reasons…

4 Likes

I’ve noticed that all ABC state bulletins (from iview) have been running to 32 minutes (7 to 7:32) in the past few days.

It also seems like ABC News Victoria never does the recap of the main stories at the end of the bulletin anymore.

3 Likes

Promoting 7.30 in the 7pm bulletin:

5 Likes

Very thorough behind the scenes look at ABC News Victoria earlier tonight on Facebook live https://www.facebook.com/abcmelbourne/videos/10155383745073926/

8 Likes

So I am not the one concerned with the bulletins going overtime. I first noticed that on Monday night (June 18) and pointed it out on the ratings thread the next day. I wrote that it must be a tactic to keep viewers tuned into 7.30, in order to arrest the declining ratings of the show. It also means I miss the start of MasterChef every night so far this week!

Yes I noticed tonight that the WA bulletin had a mid programme promo for 7:30, introduced as “coming up this hour”. When was ABC News rebranded as a newshour? Is this the beginning of the end for 7:30 and Leigh Sales? Combined with the overruns, there is obviously a final push to potentially drive viewers to it.

Fact is this isn’t an obscure new programme that needs exposure - it’s a well established current affairs show that was driven into the ground by Sales’ horrendous presenting.

1 Like

Oh and seems like the weather graphics have FINALLY been updated so that the towns and cities forecasts on the maps are in a legible font size…only took a few months. I just wish they weren’t presented on that useless video wall, which means everything appears in a low resolution.

5 Likes

That’s amazing - I had no idea how much goes into it! Does anyone know who the director is, Jeff someone?

1 Like

Is the sun pic on ABC news weather at the front or back. my mum said it at the front

1 Like

The Australian reports six journalists who left Fairfax Media under the most recent round of job cuts have joined the ABC.

…former SMH ­investigative journalist Anne Davies has moved to Four Corners, ex-SMH acting editor Stephen Hutcheon to a senior ABC ­content management role; while former SMH opinion editor Leigh Tonkin, court reporter Louise Hall and data journalist Inga Ting are also now ensconced in ­journalism roles for Aunty in ­Ultimo.
Meanwhile, ex-SMH deputy news director Liam Phillips has also been spied doing training at Ultimo, but will ultimately take up an ABC digital editor’s role based in Perth.

Ha. Does there come a point in the lifetime of the ABC where viewers who state that the broadcaster has entrenched bias are actually listened to?

Is that allowed to happen? Or do we have to pretend that because it’s supposed to be neutral it actually is, and we have to politely clap along whenever mangement scolds a naughty right-wing politician (for supposed political interference) who dares to mention that it is, well, rotten with bias?

I can see political interference at the ABC here and it definitely is not the Liberal party involved…

laughing at people who are looking for a job…charming

1 Like

Something weird happening on ABC News Canberra tonight. The first story intro had a big black strap across the top of the screen.

Nice take away from my post expressing bemusement at a whole raft of Fairfax employees being picked up by the ABC. What other sparkling observations do you have?

Professionals formerly employed by a company in a particular industry are now employed by another company in the same industry… outrageous.

Seriously, people do this all the time in every industry.

13 Likes

“Seriously”, what a dopey post attempting to dispute issues that were never raised to be in contention - no one accused the ABC of being in a different industry. In fact, you’ve just posted a word jumble there that doesn’t address anything I said.

Of course, I fully expect professionals formerly employed by right wing news organisaitons to now be employed by the ABC en masse too. That’s how it works, right?

Of course questioning the taxpayer picking up Fairfax employees en masse, and questioning regarding the ABC’s entrenched bias, are probably not suited to this forum - the aspiring twerpy children that inhabit it probably hold out hope one day they can easily move around failing news organisations too. We need a media discussion platform without this inherent bias built in.

en masse? six people, in an organisation of how many hundreds?
They had roles to fill, there were suddenly a bunch of capable people in the market? Where’s the conspiracy?

2 Likes

OK. I’m not going around in circles with this - I’ve put forward my view quite clearly. If you want to believe everything about this and the ABC’s direction is hunky dory, fine by me.

Like I said, I look forward to a whole raft of former NewsCorp editors being hired en masse tomorrow too.

How exactly do you know the ABC hasn’t hired employees from News Corp?