ABC News Presenters and Reporters

The info is based on what is available from the forward guides. Expect a media release closer to time.

Oh totally agree. They are FAR better hosts and interviewers than Leigh is.

Did any other states have the first 10 mins of tonight’s bulletin dedicated to “Trump 100 Days”? I can understand this presented as a “special report” towards the end of the bulletin…or a piece on 7:30 tomorrow. But lead news? Really? How does Trump’s latest rally affect Australian viewers? What does it matter what a random person in Pennsylvania thinks of Donald Trump?

Is there not a producer that sits down and thinks “now this is the news content Australian viewers need to see tonight regarding what was making news around their state, their country, and the world today”? This is incredibly niche content for a mainstream state bulletin.

Yeap lead news in every state bar Tasmania.

Ridiculous. Really.

Of course it matters to Australians what the US President chooses to do on issues like North Korea, Trans Pacific Trade, how he has changed his stance on a China, Russia and NATO. Why on earth wouldn’t you find that important?
That is far more interesting to me than the latest crime story or car crash. Or even the scare moungering that is the Kahleed Sharouf video that Seven and nine chose to lead with.
International news is the ABCs strength. There’s nothing missed in tonight’s bulletin that should have been there. They have 40 minutes on a Sunday. Nothing wrong at all with spending more than 2 minutes on a single issue rather than filling with fluff.

2 Likes

What the “US President chooses to do” on regionally important matters has already been reported on in the normal course of events. That’s what news is.

You’re mistakenly conflating the issue of whether this reflective piece was appropriate in leading state ABC bulletins, with the fact that it raised serious issues (which have already been reported on) and the fact you don’t like car crash stories on Seven & Nine (which I don’t either).

I think you have fundamentally missed the point.

Preface this by saying I haven’t seen the segment in question, however…

How does a chemical weapons attack in Syria affect Australian viewers? The link is almost never clear.

But there are certain things which could deem it newsworthy.

First of all, Donald Trump is a walking headline.
Secondly, the US is the most influential player in world politics, so of course the actions of the US President are going to be reported worldwide.
Thirdly, at that rally there were a number of things said by the President, including attacks on the press and “Hollywood elites”. These are somewhat relevant to the Australian political climate as well, where there has been a similar anti-establishment movement of late.
Lastly, because of shared language, culture and values, most Australians already have a good knowledge and interest in American politics and therefore will be interested in being updated. Trump’s election made big news, so a significant milestone was always going to attract attention globally (including Australia).

The 100 days thing is a bit random to me, but that’s the benchmark which a lot of the US (and hence the world) uses. The BBC even has a nightly program called 100 Days, detailing the events in Washington.

The four points listed above all explain why, as I said above, a reflective piece may have been appropriate for a post-bumper special report in the ABC News bulletin, or as a report on 7:30.

Comments made at the rally (as distinct from the reflective piece) could be deemed newsworthy - but certainly not as lead news on ABC state bulletins. In this instance, they shouldn’t have been deemed as lead news considering the main lines were an attack on the White House Correspondents Dinner, and repetition of the Make America Great Again slogans.

This is pretty cut and dry in my mind.

Regional rail ran first in Victoria.

3 Likes

Have we heard if Yasmin is getting the sack? Would be outrageous if she stayed. Natasha stood down for missing a cue, Yasmin defended for disrespecting the values of Australia and Australians. Time to cut funding.

Pretty sure the ‘values of Australia’ is the freedom to say and think whatever you want isn’t THAT what the diggers fought for?

No she won’t be sacked: http://about.abc.net.au/statements/abc-statement-regarding-yassmin-abdel-magied/

No she wasn’t: http://about.abc.net.au/statements/statement-on-natasha-exelby-from-director-news-gaven-morris/

Ok, you proved me wrong.

I think this is pure rubbish, yes you can say whatever to a certain extent. If what your saying goes against us as a nation, our values, our traditions, our history, well then go somewhere else. As I’ve said, the same thing happened to a previous ABC NEWS reporter (I’ve forgotten his name) a few years back and was sacked almost immediately.

1 Like

No, “us as a nation” gives you the freedom to criticise or question anything you damn want. This isn’t Russia, Turkey or any other tin pot society that dictates values or limits speech.

1 Like

SBS sports reporter Scott McIntyre? Well he took them for unfair dismissal and settled with SBS. Just can’t go around sacking people these days (as an employer I really wish it was that easy!)

Emma Alberici returns to Lateline tonight.

1 Like

Melbourne State political reporter Frances Bell is leaving after 7 years she is heading home to WA.She will remain with the ABC in a different role.

4 Likes

Also filled in for Ian Henderson from 2014 until her maternity leave in 2015.

1 Like

Best wishes to Frances. I assume she will join the colleagues at ABC Perth newsroom and cover WA issues instead.

2 Likes