ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Paul Higgins presenting 7pm bulletin in Victoria tonight.

4 Likes

Same again tonight. Seems shorter than what was launched with, and of course no local imagery.

To make things worse Dan Bourchier is back tonight too.

1 Like

ABC News NSW had a hiccup tonight with screens going black for about a minute.

It cut out halfway through one story and returned again halfway through the first sports item.

No explanation for the error so far.

Interesting all three east coast ABC News’ had a different opener on Turkey tonight…

I wondered whether the “national forecast” that NSW got was also aired in other states?

Is Ros Childs still the main anchor for ABC News at Noon? Seems to always be fill-ins every time I view it!

I know what you mean, but last time I saw her was last week with the relaunch

1 Like

Major changes to citizenship requirements yesterday, yet ABC News instead in preference lead with a report on how many investment properties politicians own? What’s that got to do with anything? Even directing viewers to their website to check how many each politician owns - why? Totally irresponsible whipping up that sort of personal animosity. Neglecting their news duties in reporting that above major citizenship changes that were even reported on half way around the world.

Not only that, but the reporter summarised the fact MPs own more property on average than the population because they are “whiter”. I don’t know when this sort of racist language entered the ABC News lexicon, but with 5 MPs out of ~225 claiming Indigenous heritage, thus reflecting the actual percentage of Indigenous Australians amongst the population, and with Asian MPs such as Ian Goodenough and Penny Wong, then what was she referring to? Are we lacking a Nigerian MP for her liking? What on earth was she referring to? Far-left social media language being employed in preference to actual analysis.

Amateur hour all-round.

1 Like

[quote=“Firetorch, post:1032, topic:216”]
Not only that, but the reporter summarised the fact MPs own more property on average than the population because they are “whiter”.
[/quote]The quote was that parliament on average was whiter, not that it was because they were white that they owned more property.

12% of parliamentarians are born overseas and the majority of those were born in Europe. Penny Wong is the only Asian Australian, which is underrepresentation. You are correct about Aboriginal proportions however.

Twenty-eight members, or 12.4 per cent of the Australian Parliament were born overseas, although only ten were born outside of Europe. According to the ABS, over a quarter of Australians were born overseas (26 per cent). Of that, a quarter were born in Asia. If Parliament were to be truly representative, there would be around 50 members that were born overseas and approximately 12 that were born in Asia. In reality, Penny Wong was only the second Asian-born person ever to win a seat in the Australian Parliament.
How representative is our parliament? - Right Now

I do agree that the story was misplaced and somewhat odd. I think the ABC probably were hoping to run the story as the lead but were caught off-guard with Turnbull’s announcement and shrugged.

1 Like

Actually, I was more accurate with my wording with what she was attempting to say- MPs are whiter on average, not “Parliament” itself! As they are whiter on average than the rest of the population, they own more property, mirroring trends that exist in society. That was her point.

Secondly, foreign born does not equal non-white. This is a total misnomer. She didn’t say “more MPs on average are Aussie born and thus they own more property”.

Third, I’m also correct about Asian representation - Ian Goodenough was born in Singapore. Penny Wong is not the only Asian Australian.

Fourth, was the reporter really referring to Asians in saying MPs were whiter on average?

No idea, send a tweet to the reporter herself if it’s important enough to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d question your (@Firetorch) opinion that proposed changes to the citizenship test are (should be?) really more important to the voting population than “the housing affordability crisis”.

I think the percentage of people in Australia for who the citizenship test changes will impact are small (permanent residents wanting to become citizens), while there is clearly a big problem with housing affordability and the majority of federal parliament for some reason refuse to do anything about the negative gearing & capital gains tax concessions which right now primarily benefit the relatively well-off owners of investment properties.

The ABC News story provides a background, a possible explanation for this inaction: The pollies are personally benefiting from the current tax concessions which are driving up house prices. They have a conflict of interest.

The federal governement is refusing to follow good suggestions to limit/reduce those tax concessions which if implemented would slow the outrageous housing price inflation that has made it practically impossible for so many Australians to buy a home, plus it would improve the budget bottom line, but instead they’ve ruled these out.
Has everyone forgotten LNP MPs’ earlier claims about a “budget emergency”?

Instead we’ve got nonsensical racist suggestions from some right-wing pollies that immigrants are causing house prices to go up, despite many of these (effectively taxpayer-subsidised) investment properties laying empty in the major cities.

Get past your own bias; I think this story is actually more important than the citizenship test change distraction which primarily plays into xenophobic/racist tendencies (as was obvious in the pathetic failures to explain the problem with the existing tests, define values, etc.).

3 Likes

Investors are the issue with affordability, whether they come from Sydney or Shanghai.

1 Like

How the ABC News Melbourne set looked like in 2003.

12 Likes

Better effort than the Seven Perth set.

What a silly rant! I don’t even know what I’m “bias” towards here - a news bulletin that makes sense? Decent story selection? Accurate and precise language use by news reporters?

Let’s set down some facts:

1. My opinion was NOT that proposed changes to the citizenship test are really more important to the voting population than “the housing affordability crisis”. You’ve just made this up.
  2. Of course the % of people who the citzenship changes affect is smaller than the population of Australia concerned about other matters. Derr. Most changes to legislation are. Changes to anti-terror laws, for example. In contrast, more Australians might be concerned about the price of beef at Woolies. Why you have attempted to conflate the two issues in a direct comparison on the % of people they affect, I have no idea.
  3. Negative gearing is not a “concession”, it is simply a basic principle of accounting for income and expenses.
  4. If someone needs “background” that MPs (ie people) own property, then they’re a moron.
  5. The report was not about MPs “benefiting from current tax concessions which are driving up house prices” - it was about the property owned by each MP. Again, you’ve just made something up.
  6. “Current tax concessions” of themselves do not drive up house prices - the median price in Perth has been pretty well stagnant for 10 years, for example.
  7. High levels of immigration = demand for housing = increased prices. That’s schoolboy economics, not “racist suggestions”.

But anyway, this is not even a discussion about housing prices. Or negative gearing. Or whatever Shorten’s parroted lines are for the week. I’m sick of hearing them. This is a discussion about ABC failing dismally in their political coverage the other day.

Reminds me of the 1993 BBC set

5 Likes

But you didn’t actually refute anything he said (which was an excellent post, btw).

The story is relevant because politicians have a vested interest in the status quo while the average Joe is losing out, being unable to afford a home to buy.

1 Like

Really? I don’t think my interpretation of what you’d said was so way off:

Given existing international concern about Australian policies & practices (such as mandatory indefinitely detention of refugees, refusing to grant accepted/confirmed refugees asylum contrary to international commitments we’d freely entered into, etc.), it’s not surprising anything which could appear to be racist or xenophobic or like the recent nationalism elsewhere in the world will get reported.

But you’re complaining about the ABC in Australia first broadcasting a story about housing & showing why pollies don’t do anything about it.

(I’m not going to respond to everything you’ve said here, ) your point 7 is simplistic nonsense, ignores & in no way counters my point about empty investment properties.
You’ve previously asked people to back up their statements, so how about you do so here? Putting aside simplistic theories, where are the numbers that prove in reality that immigration is pushing prices up more than negative gearing & capital gains tax concessions?

Here’s another bit where your bias comes through:

Earlier you lambasted the ABC for not giving prominence to the LNP government’s story of the day/week, and now you’re sick of hearing the Labor opposition’s.

I’m not having a go at you; we each have our biases from our different lives. I asked you to try to get past your bias (as I hope I manage to get past mine more often than not).

1 Like

Was this a physical set? Looks CGI to me