ABC News Presenters and Reporters

What’s so funny? Can pop-culture not be news?

Not everything has to be boring grey news about car crashes, politics and death.

8 Likes

Gloria Kalache presenting Victorian 7pm bulletin again tonight.

Question for: Biscuit45, AddictedtoTVPres, Vidiot, TheHubman, Travis, Mariner, sammy123, CLEW9, matlock.

Please inform me why “Top 5 Episodes of The Simpsons which NEED a Sequel” is news, please (and not the title of a really bad BuzzFeed article).

Go!

1 Like

Non sequitur.

I found it surprising seeing an article on it at all on the ABC for for how Commercial it was. And since their video relating to the article had elements such as the yellow colour and classic ABC logo, I felt like it was needed to be shared here.

I guess it is kind of News as similar articles were written on other websites. Perhaps the ABC wanted to take it a step further and add in a Top 5 list. If it was made with no proper reason, then no, I wouldn’t really consider it News, but it still can be shared as a discussion article.

Oh, yes, it’s definitely appropriate to be posted here relating to the changes to ABC News graphics in the pipeline. Thanks for sharing.

But in terms of matlock stating definitively that this was news itself…I don’t think so.

1 Like

… appealing to a younger demographic. I imagine they might start a new online presence that they’re trialing through instagram at the moment.

I know how you’ve gone on about it being on the ABC News account and how appalling that is etc…

but seriously - it’s instagram.

it’s not news in itself, it’s related to the news that one of the most famous episodes of this pop culture phenomenon has seen it writer return for a sequel.

I find, if you don’t like something a news site posts, your best bet is to comment on the video with ‘you call this news?’. People love people who do that.

Actually, the best bet is just to ignore the rubbish and not follow that instagram account. Which I happily do.

Additionally, CLEW, appealing to a younger demographic does not of itself, obviously, make something news. Red Bull appeals to a younger demographic. Red Bull is not news.

This is not news however it is spun. Sorry, just the truth. It’s hair-brained content production more suitable for BuzzFeed.

Lisa Needs Braces: excellent workplace commentary.

Frank Crimes: one of the less known but better episodes. A dark episode.

The episode where Homer is accused of being a sex offender: excellent commentary of media coverage.

Homer as Garbage Man: environmental and conservationist message. (Also the 200th ep)

The episode where Mayor Quimby blames immigrants for his fuck up and everyone believes him (it has a nice timelessness to it, that message).

Why not comment on important social issues raised by Australian television series then?

Simpsons fanatics are as annoying as Seinfeld and Harry Potter fanatics. The wonkish repetition of inane little quotes and tidbits is only amusing to those in their only little bubble, yet utterly tiresome to everyone else.

2 Likes

This sort of statement always contains weird logic.

Sure, some politicians go overboard in demonising migrants. Wilders and Hanson, for example.

But why do those on the left consider the converse true, that no problem or issue can ever exist with immigrants or within immigrant communities?

Consider a nation like a home (which most patriotic people do). Two new people from another home are invited in. If these individuals change the behaviour and lifestyle patterns of the home, then only an imbecile would be unable to identify the causation.

1 Like

Because I’m sure the ABC can also do that in another video. This isn’t the only video they’ll ever make lol. The Simpsons were doing a sequel episode so it was a topical and lighthearted video. I also believe Australia puts out the most Simpsons memes per capita (jk but probs true, it’s extremely popular).

This just all sounds like very petty nitpicking criticism from you. Usually I expect you to tackle more important issues.

I’m not going to discuss immigration with you in this thread lol. PM me

I never said it was news. I said it was fulfilling a purpose. Just don’t bother watching something if it pisses you off this much.

1 Like

I also did make comments to people perhaps the content posted was an attempt to make the ABC News brand more appealing to a younger audience, much like myself! :wink:

7 Likes

The bart aged 10 smoking package is the best one ever.

EDIT: here it is

There are around about 8 things that makes for news worthiness.

Simpsons are prominent and people are interested. But they are also kinda ‘how do you do, fellow kids’.

I don’t think any eps really need a two parter (even though 2 episodes have had a two Parters for [Who Shot Mr Burns and The Great Phatsby] so far). Yet I do think Hugo should return and be made canon.

EDIT 2: I just watched the Season 28 episode ‘Kamp Krustier’ which occurs after the Season 4 episode ‘Kamp Krusty’.

5 Likes

There’s some solid advice which is apparently lost on a lot of people nowadays…

2 Likes

Not sure how many more times I can say I don’t watch or follow this instagram account, so thanks for the advice I guess…

I’m responding to that piece of content in the context of this being a site for media analysis. If criticism of ABC News content pisses you off this much, maybe don’t bother reading this thread.

No ones pissed off*. I’m simply defending my own opinion on the matter, which is that it’s a) topical; b) posted on a social media platform which skews young and therefore toward an audience which would appreciate content about The Simpsons.

If you don’t use Instagram, then how are you qualified to criticise content on there at all?

I fail to see how people using pop culture in everyday life is a problem. At all. Users on Instagram who don’t find any enrichment by viewing a video about The Simpsons can continue scrolling.

I was responding to CLEW.