ABC News Presenters and Reporters

ABC news helicopter move comes under fire as jobs are cut

NEW ABC news helicopter is taking off in Queensland as the national broadcaster pushes ahead with plans to sack more than 200 staff.

The ABC is expanding its aerial newsgathering service across the nation on the taxpayers’ ticket just as the commercial television stations ground some choppers.

Cash-strapped networks Nine and Seven last year struck a historic deal to combine their news choppers across the country in a massive cost-cutting measure.

Vocal ABC critic Senator Eric Abetz has labelled the ABC’s expanded helicopter service as an “extravagance” footed by taxpayers.

The national broadcaster put its helicopter service out to tender last July, after a review recommended it expand its aerial newsgathering to the nation’s five capital cities. It had previously only operated choppers in Sydney and Melbourne.

Anger multiplying:

10 Likes

Gloria Kalache presenting Victorian bulletin tonight.

It seems that some small parts of the new look are starting to creep in on the social media side. It seems ABC News is channeling it’s inner BuzzFeed, as they have been posting various videos in conjunction with WIBBITZ with a similar style using GIFS, as well as using lots of the new corporate yellow colour and the classic ABC logo on either of the corners of the screen (no sign of ‘oneABC’ font though). They’ve even done a Top 5 List of “Simpsons Episodes That Need a Sequel”!

A few caps, or should I say screenshots:

There’s many others recently with alternating styles, some using grey, but I chose this one not only because of heavy use of the classic ABC logo and yellow, but the fact how Commercial it is, something you wouldn’t expect the ABC post! They had been posting the same Simpsons article yesterday, which confused some people as you wouldn’t usually expect them post!

2 Likes

What social channel was this posted on?

Instagram.

1 Like

Facebook, and perhaps Instagram I haven’t checked! :slight_smile:

Edit: Yes, Instagram as well as @mirb stated.

I am all for ABC embracing Insta, FB and Snapchat to deliver news to younger demos who are not watching TV in droves - and I’m all for delivering it in snappy, funky, bite sized edited pieces with graphics, music and humor.

BUT - The 5 Simpsons eps that need a sequel is not news in any way shape or form. It’s not even topical.

If it was 5 times Donald sTrump lied, or 5 Times Pauline hanson could not pronounce a word, or 5 Times Australia has massive blackouts, or the 5 most expensive “nation building” projects in history - then fine - that is topical, fun and news.

But The Simpsons?

That’s a huge miss. I applaud the effort - but the content is really wrong,

4 Likes

It was topical, the show had just done its first ‘sequel’ episode.

1 Like

you get my point

1 Like

get your point? well I think I refuted it.

3 Likes

no - because my point is it’s not news in any way shape or form that ABC should be covering.

It’s also topical that the weather guy wore a red shirt on Sunrise yesterday - but it’s not news.

2 Likes

So you’re only all for ABC embracing Insta, FB and Snapchat to deliver news to younger demos who are not watching TV in droves - and you’re all for delivering it in snappy, funky, bite sized edited pieces with graphics, music and humor… if it’s news you want those younger demos to consume, not stuff they might twig with?

No.
Not news “i want” anyone to consume.
Just "news"
Think we can all agree loosely on what constitutes news.

This is not the ABC insta, nor ABC TV insta. Nor the Triple J insta. This is the national ABC News insta.

And if you read all the comments on the post from the people that actually follow and consume ABC News on insta - they agree this is not what they wanna see.

2 Likes

and this wasn’t a report on ABC TV News, it wasn’t a segment on 7.30 or News Breakfast, it was a little viral vid plonked onto a few social media pages- and it got shared around plenty- and had plenty of people actually engaging. I think you’re really getting your nickers in a twist over nothing.

6 Likes

What a stupid discussion going on in here.

This is clearly not content that the ABC should be producing. The argument seems to be, kids consumed it, they shared it, they engaged with it. Big deal. Doesn’t make it news in the slightest.

Further, I noted ABC2’s schedule tonight was “Catfish” and “My Transgender Summer Camp”. If this is prime time content on their second channel, then just scrap the bloody thing. Total joke.

2 Likes

And The Simpsons was making news.

If you’d bothered to look, there was also an interesting story on footage of nuclear weapons testing being declassified.

Perfectly within ABC2’s remit. None of the commercial sector is providing this content.

1 Like

Oh, you missed the rest of my statement. Must have been an accident.

I’m saying it’s shit content, not quality high-brow content that the commercials aren’t providing, lol.

:joy: