ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Every single news organization in the world is trying to work out how to recruit the next generation of consumers. Print, broadcast, linear. It’s not just about trying to get the average age younger (which is a very uphill battle, and one more focused on advertisers) but also about recruiting new users.

If you think every 10 years new users just magically discover a news product and start consuming it - then you are right and every news organization in the world is wrong. Because they are ALL trying to recruit new users to their product.

And as much as I respect your opinion - it’s not really backed up by fact in the real world. Everyone from NY Times to BBC to CNN to CBC and now ABC are trying to work out how to recruit new younger users. That’s a fact.

I’m not saying they’re not trying to work it out. They’re continuing to try to work it out because it’s impossible. It’s not going to happen for them - and the ABC here certainly isn’t going to do it. Younger viewers will not switch on at 7pm for a news bulletin.

I’m with you here FT, there is no point even bothering doing so over TV. Young people do not watch linear TV unless they don’t know how to use the internet properly. Target them online if they have the funds but adjusting your flagship bulletin to target an audience that’s never going to watch it? Stupid.

1 Like

@OnAir @Firetorch

Just curious what you guys define as a “young” person in relation to this conversation?

Under 35.

Oh well, maybe keep it the same, and see how many viewers are watching within 5-10 years.

Well the same proportion that are watching now compared with 5-10 years ago…

Who’s got the figures on hand? TV.Cynic?

We’re not exactly predicting something difficult here…

There are literally hundreds of ways to get news both on tv and online that didn’t even exist 5-10 years ago

That’s why you need to recruit new viewers.

Wasn’t so important 10 years ago. News apps and social media did not exist.

So I guess agree to disagree. I know If I ran a news business I’d at least be actively trying to recruit new (younger) viewers - rather than just throwing my hands in the air and saying “impossible”

Which means probably even more people are consuming ABC News products in some form then?

Why do more younger viewers need to specifically be recruited to the 7pm bulletin? I still don’t see a clear reason.

Les move on. We see it differently. No point going around in circles.

Target the audience where they are rather than where they aren’t.

1 Like

Sue McIntosh was weekend newsreader. Mary Delahunty read on weeknights. I think Ian Henderson took over from Mary around 1992 when she moved to the Melbourne edition of The 7.30 Report replacing John Jost who’d gone over to Channel 9.

1 Like

Must be different state to state then. So far this year I have seen it in SA, Tas and Canberra and each time it’s left me wondering what had gone on locally that day.

How many times did you watch each bulletin? On what days of the week? Was State Parliament sitting the weeks you saw the bulletins?

“So far this year” is Jan to March, hardly the busiest time of the year for politics in Australia, let alone state politics.

1 Like

###WA VOTES

abc.net.au/elections

As WA heads to the polls on Saturday, March 11, the ABC has the most comprehensive coverage on TV, radio, online and on mobile.

ABC will be first with the results, featuring the most accurate and expert coverage and analysis across all platforms.

For full election news coverage throughout the campaign and on election night, ABC News has it covered. You can find data on candidates, electorates, key seats and the best analysis and information here, with Antony Green’s Election Guide, as well as the prediction calculator here.

On election night wherever you are, you can follow the live results on mobile and get updates on developments as they happen at abc.net.au/news and abc.net.au/elections.

On Twitter, use the #wavotes and #wapol hashtags and keep up with the latest at @abcperth

Throughout the election campaign listen to ABC Radio Perth and tune in each night to ABC 7pm News for all the latest on the campaign trail.

##Saturday 11 March – Election Day

TELEVISION

ABC NEWS 24

ABC News 24 will have updates throughout the day as WA goes to the polls and simulcast the election night coverage from 9.00pm AEDT.

WA Votes – Election Special

6:00pm on ABC (WA only) / 9:00pm AEDT on ABC News 24 and streamed live at abc.net.au/news

Live from the ABC Election Centre in Perth, host James McHale and ABC News’ WA Political Correspondent, Jessica Strutt, will be joined by Michael Keenan, Federal Minister for Justice and MP for Stirling will represent the Liberal Party and Tim Hammond, Shadow Minister for Consumer Affairs & Shadow Minister Assisting for Resources and Member for Perth (ALP).

ABC Election Analyst Antony Green will be calling the numbers as they come in, and providing full analysis across the night. ABC News journalist Rebecca Carmody will be interviewing the party powerbrokers.

RADIO

ABC RADIO PERTH & all ABC WA Regional stations

6:00pm (WA only) and streamed live on the ABC Radio app, on abc.net.au/perth and on Digital Radio

ABC Radio Perth presenters, Geoff Hutchison and Belinda Varischetti will host the election night coverage from ABC Studios in front of a studio audience. Joining them will be “Poll Bludger” William Bowe who will make sense of the numbers, with guest analysts Ken Travers and Matt Keogh MP from the ALP and Senators Linda Reynolds and Dean Smith from the Liberal Party.

To watch the action unfold live from ABC Studios, register to be part of the audience at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/election-night-at-abc-studios-tickets-32345162251

Follow @abcperth for the latest updates and broadcast highlights throughout the night.

On ABC Radio, AM will be broadcasting from WA on the Thursday and Friday before election day. Host Sabra Lane will interview WA Premier, Colin Barnett and WA Opposition Leader, Mark McGowan.

There will be a special AM Sunday morning edition at 8.00am on ABC Radio, RN and regional radio.

##Sunday 12 March

TELEVISION

WEEKEND BREAKFAST

7.00am on ABC / 7.00am AEDT on ABC News 24

Weekend Breakfast with Miriam Corowa and Andrew Geoghegan, will deliver a wrap of the election results and latest news.

INSIDERS

9:00am on ABC / 9:00am AEDT on ABC News 24

Barrie Cassidy and the panel will provide analysis and context for what the election result means for WA, as well as a wrap of the week in national politics.

2 Likes

Whoops I forgot about this being so early

1 Like

State politics isn’t the only things that happens at a state level.

Roster for Victorian bulletin this week and next week-

Friday - Tuesday- Tamara Oudyn
Wednesday - Friday- Frances Bell

1 Like

Last few weeks have been from Tasmania, usually with Peter Gee.

Can we finally expect the ABC News relaunch on Monday with Breakfast returning to Southbank?

5 Likes