ABC News Presenters and Reporters

I like how they’re going back to the “classic” ABC logo for the rebrand, but I’m not sure about the font for “NEWS” myself.

A black and white “colour” scheme?! Doesn’t the ABC realise that we’ve all got beautiful full-coloured, digital displays these days? It’s not 1973 anymore, use some proper colours in your branding!

With the news about ABC HD eventually launching, surely I’m not the only one who’s hoping that any “new technology” will include the launch of native High Definition production of their TV bulletins?

3 Likes

Only the Melbourne bulletin will be HD after the new studio is commissioned. I think we’ll be waiting a while for the rest.

2 Likes

Hi all. Long time between posts. I thought I’d drop back in because I found these two media releases:

First is the new “multi-platform newsroom computer system”. http://www.techtel.com.au/news/2016/9/2/australian-broadcasting-corporation-selects-ap-enps-for-nationwide-news-system

Second is editing software, possibly included in the above. https://www.grassvalley.com/news/press/releases/view/3110-australian-broadcasting-corporation-selects-grass-valley-for-nationwide-multi-year-news-equipment-upgrade

1 Like

Wow that font for NEWS aligned with ABC logo looks all sorts of wrong. I would much prefer the squiggle logo then ABC NEWS in writing.

But that font looks so wrong!

I when I see the logo it doesn’t read as ABC to me (like the 9 or 7 logo reads) so I’m not reading ABC NEWS - i’m reading NEWS

Anyone else have that reaction?

The ABC squiggle/worm/lissajous logo is one of the most iconic and recognisable logos in the country. In a 2012 feature of Top Ten Australian Logos from Desktop Magazine, the ABC’s logo ranked #1 ahead of other iconic Australian logos such as those of QANTAS and Australia Post: https://desktopmag.com.au/features/top-ten-australian-logos-1st/#.WBqet4VOLIU

I’m pretty sure that mainstream Australia knows what the squiggle/worm/lissajous logo stands for without the letters “ABC” written next to it.

3 Likes

Currently it just looks like nothing - just some bland san-serif font. But that image is not a high res (I can’t get anything clearer from the pdf).

@SydneyCityTV I understand and agree it’s a very recognized logo - but be honest - when you see it laid out as:

()()() NEWS - do you say ABC?

I don’t - I just see the news.

I don’t think I am the only one. And when you think of all the places this will be seen, online, digital., twitter, Facebook banners, bugs, supers, buildings - it just does’t read well to me.

The NBC peacock and the CBS eye are instantly recognizable logos - yet they write NBC NEWS and CBS NEWS

Bottom line - it doesn’t read clearly or in an instant to me - which is what a logo is meant to do.

7 Likes

Kind of agree, not a huge issue though. Nobody’s going to be confused about what they’re watching/reading/listening to.

Add CBC News to the list, a direct comparison as a public broadcaster with a well known but abstract logo.

Sleep-inducing font, but the black and white colour scheme sounds great, will be good to be rid of the ubiquitous blue. Presumably this will be largely driven by the colour of imagery and footage.

4 Likes

It is kind of an issue when the whole point of the rebrand is to - quote > "Ensuring our content is always recognizable…

These changes will ensure it is easy for audiences to find, recognise and consume our news and current affairs content in an increasingly crowded and disrupted news market"

Yet here we are agreeing that the new logo/brand is not easy to make sense of

Yes. The lissajous has been used by the ABC since the 1960s. It is just as symbolic as the CBS Eye or the Nine dots, the latter of which is being used in logos such as 9Go and 9Life without needing the numeral.

Oh… this will be different. I always had a soft spot for blue with touches of orange; thought the colour scheme always fit ABC News

2 Likes

Fair enough. I defiantly think you need the ABC. But let’s at least agree the font is a big WTF

I’ll wait to see how it appears on-air. Right now it’s only two low-quality monochrome images.

1 Like

the colour scheme reminds me of my tongue in cheek mock

I think the logo can stand on its own, it’s instantly recognisable and I think people subconsciously replace the logo with “ABC” in their minds if the logo was placed in line with text. Telstra dropped the “elstra” from their logo because the T bit was instantly recognisable by most people (though I’d say the ABC logo is far more recognisable).

I mean, here are a few examples from the past where there was really no need for stating that the ABC logo = “ABC”.

6 Likes

Few caps from Victoria

1 Like

Regarding the upcoming graphics refresh, (and without trying to stretch the comparison too far) I think that these videos show how black and white can be used to good effect.

And a rather familiar logo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I saw a lot of black and white in the US Election coverage (rather than the current blue and white). I wonder if that’ll be similar to what we’ll see next year.

Gloria Kalache presented Friday - Sunday in Victoria.

The interesting thing about Bath’s appointment is that it seems she will be joining ABC News in some capacity. The press release announcing her appointment states:

9 Likes

It’s good to know that Chris Bath has found a home at a media outlet who’ll appreciate her talents! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

8 Likes

It’s not surprise she obviously impressed them with her filling in work with them this year.Chris said exploring other new projects too ,that sounds promising.

5 Likes