ABC News Presenters and Reporters

It hasn’t been “hyped for a year”. It’s just you who was harassing other people here for wanting to comment on other ABC News related issues even a month before this happened. You believed your own hype, lol. They’re new graphics, that’s it.

Not only that, but it seemed to contain images from yesterday’s news in the opener? Really poor.

I’m impressed by the concept design, but honestly it is not suitable for standard definition. For example, there’s a huge emphasis on text outlines (like the dates on the sliding graphics in the opener), which look AWFUL in standard definition because they’re so thin that they become lost in the background. The same thing with that bloody ticker - it’s far too small to read on a standard definition screen, and looks blocky as hell.

This is a clear cut case of the ABC not having enough funds to pull it off properly.

The new graphics are significant in that many of the picture elements are dynamically generated (like in the opening titles), whereas the whole sliding panels look appears to have been based on prerendered graphics.

The first media article canvassing the changes was in August 2016. 8 months is the better part of a year?

Now can we please return to topic and discussing the big issues like why the ABC includes photos of brown children in montages.

Well, you were gearing up for a montage change for 8 months then. :joy: What else would we discuss rather than the amended graphics and montages? :joy:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: ABC News (Channel)

These do look better than the broadcasted versions! If there’s one criticism I have about the original BDA graphics, I find the breaking news red to be a little bit too bold and distracting. If it could be toned down just a little bit I think it would look better :slight_smile:

And it doesn’t need to be altered all that much either, example:

6 Likes

ACT

1 Like

I wish they’d sort out which theme they are going to play in the closer. One night it’s the new one, next night it’s the old one… Geeeez.

1 Like

Which Bulletin was this?

Well pretty sure the first night of the relaunch the Melbourne bulletin played the new theme in its closer and the Canberra bulletins played the old one… In these clips it’s the complete opposite for both…

This package looked so good on BDA’s website

Clearly ABC- like most government run departments - was able to fuck it up.

They have the right ideas at ABC - they just lack in ability to execute.

4 Likes

The ABC is funded by taxpayers - it is NOT “government run.”

6 Likes

fair enough distinction. But you get my point I’m sure.

1 Like

And today contained images of poor resolution, of presumably today’s news, that were barely recognisable because of their low quality.

With recent $80m studio upgrades in Melbourne, new studios in Brisbane a few years ago - and an entire GFX package just produced form the ground up - as well as ABC HD being launched - why is ABC not at least (when given the opportunity) upgrading things HD?

Are we gonna have these ABC News GFX in SD for the next 7 years now?

6 Likes

Pretty weird when the News Channel graphics (although not HD) are clearer and crisper than the flagship bulletins on the main channel. I too don’t understand why the lack of HD output in a Melbourne with the upgrade - especially with the fact that national programs come out of there!

1 Like

Very strange to see the Canberra bulletin apparently renamed ‘ABC News ACT’. It’s always been called ABC News Canberra as it reaches into NSW, but in areas considered the Canberra ‘region’ - Queanbeyan, Murrumbateman, Gouldburn, Cooma, even Braidwood.

Insight into the graphics from BDA.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the 2005-2010 ABC News presentation was done in-house or externally?