ABC News Presenters and Reporters

Yep, no sound in the introduction of the first story either. As you said, NSW is getting ACT feed.

Gemma Veness was presenting ABC News NSW tonight too.

6 Likes

Yes, unusual for neither Jeremy or Nicole to not be presenting tonight’s bulletin.

1 Like

Some caps from tonight’s ABC News ACT as seen in NSW.

1 Like

Some of tonight’s bulletins.

Uploaded by @ScreenTower

NSW with technical problems, skip through wherever
Craig welcomes viewers at 8:20

4 Likes

Guy Stayner presenting ABC News at Five.

5 Likes

Quick! Get him in a suit, he looks like he’s off to a formal! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Guy Stayner is filling in for Ian in Victoria tonight.

1 Like

4 Likes

That new opening sweeping shot is such an improvement on the old static camera angles they were using.

11 Likes

There was very annoying audio interference with the weather report from Graham Creed on ABC News NSW tonight. It happened every few seconds.

2 Likes

Here’s the bulletin
Weather starts at 27:20

1 Like

Faulty lapel if you ask me. God dammit Audio!

1 Like

Guy Stayner presenting in Victoria from Monday - Thursday this week.

2 Likes

Why they continue to do this is beyond me. He is a terrible presenter.

3 Likes

Personally l think Paul Higgins is the better option than Guy.

2 Likes

I don’t love Paul on news either but you’re right. Stayner is on a Steve Quartermain level of beige, bland and boring.

2 Likes

I like Paul. Takes me back to watching BTN in the film room at school.

3 Likes

The autocue is reflecting behind Guy Stayer tonight. Bit more obvious when it’s rolling.

7 Likes

The Australian reports today that ABC journalists are being sent to writing classes to improve their storytelling, to arrest the decline in the ratings for the 7pm news. I watch the 7pm news on weeknights after coming home from work and I think their storytelling is just fine. Waste of money really.

3 Likes

So do I. I’m a big fan of the ABC, but even I can acknowledge that some of their junior reporters can be a little… green. I give commercial television a lot of shit on this forum but they can tell a compelling story, whereas some reporters on ABC News tend to stick to a very strict and arguably dull script, as if they’re just ticking off the required boxes for each story.

I’ve noticed this in particular is a problem for studio scripts for the newsreaders; scripts in Queensland are written to conform to a “style-guide”, but the problem is that some presenters have different talents and thus struggle when the script isn’t written to suit their presenting style. It shows that whoever writes the scripts doesn’t particularly pay attention to who is presenting, and that makes certain presenters appear more wooden and/or boring, when they could be doing a much better job if they had the freedom to customise the autocue scripts to suit their style a little more.

5 Likes