ABC News (Channel)

Yeah I just saw that too on the main channel, was a great promo and interesting remix of the theme!

1 Like

I need to see this! :smiley: Someone please cap it as well if possible!

2 Likes

It was a remix of Majestic Fanfare. Caps please, only heard didn’t see.

2 Likes

Oh, I thought it was the 1985-2005 Theme… :pensive: Oh well, better than nothing guess… :cold_sweat:

Oh wait, do you mean both?

1 Like

Is this the promo for tonight’s budget coverage?

No, aired just before the Budget promo at 6.58pm on ABC(1).

argh. I could’ve recorded it if I knew about it

2 Likes

Spotted the Ad for the first time, it was one of those regular new style “know the story” promos with indeed a remix of Majestic Fanfare, that was quite interesting! I was unable to cap, but it was a montage of various events mostly political. It looks to be one that will be on high rotation, so you’ll be bound to see it soon. Now, if they play a version with the remixed version of the 1985-2005 theme…

1 Like

Someone may have a better memory than me, but I remember reading that the Majestic Fanfare is to have a television role at some point following the relaunch.

EDIT: Here we go. Mentioned after the coloured dots. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2017/04/new-look-abc-news-ditches-news-24.html

1 Like

That would be what was on last night! That article mentions a “remixed version for a TV Brand Spot later this month”, which is pretty much the promo seen.

Promo featuring Majestic Fanfare seen this morning.

10 Likes

If you ask me, the ABC should seriously consider replacing the very old fashioned (IMO) sounding version of Majestic Fanfare that’s currently used for the radio news bulletins with that remixed promotional version!

The familiar tune is still there, but there’s a modern (and dare I say, more serious) beat to it. I like that.

6 Likes

That SO should have been the new theme. Fresh, modern, authoritative, active…everything the new branding is not.

5 Likes

So true. After seeing that watermark they used for the ABC News Exclusive the other night, I couldn’t help but think that the white on blue would have looked so much better than all this bland white on black we got.

1 Like

It very much sounded like that was designed to be the new theme, or at least a potential contender, before the ABC opted to use a remix of the existing theme.

5 Likes

I think I’m fine with not having Majestic Fanfare used for the TV news bulletins, since the newest version of the ABC News on TV theme doesn’t sound all that bad. Although I still think a meatier, punchier version should be used for the flagship state/territory 7pm news because the current version doesn’t really scream “This is the 7 O’clock News on the ABC. Pay attention because it’s starting right now!” at you like the theme music during this era of ABC News On-Air Presentation did.

But for radio bulletins, I definitely think the ABC needs to use what I’d call “Majestic Fanfare 2017” as their new opening theme. ABC Radio has been refreshing the rest of it’s brand (both on air and off) since the start of the year, so I think the radio news theme should match that brand.

4 Likes

Well, I have some disappointing news to tell you all. During the day of the Relaunch, I was told by a source close to the ABC that a version of the 1985-2005 theme by Wall and Ansell was created 6 months prior. However due to rights disputes with the ABC and The Bag Raiders, it had to be scrapped. :cry:

Hopefully the ABC can use it in the future as a promo like this one.

1 Like

ABC using heavily watermarked 7 News footage on the Alan Joyce pie incident.

4 Likes

Natasha Exelby is working for the Wests Tigers as a media consultant, the SMH is reporting. She has moved on.

3 Likes

Apologies if this has been posted, but a show-reel I guess of the current ABC News graphics package…

6 Likes