ABC News (Channel)

News Corp reports that Natasha Exelby has quit ABC News amid speculation over alleged “behavioural issues”, less than a month after her on-air gaffe went viral. Won’t be surprised if she pops up on Sky News.

1 Like

Continuous coverage of Olympic Presidency vote this morning

4 Likes

And the announcement of the voting result was missed as they were covering the Communication Minister press conference!!

Later replayed

Then live cross and discussion.

2 Likes

That little picture-in-picture drives me nuts, because it’s just slightly out of line with the ABC News grey box.

7 Likes

They grey box with everything misaligned already drives me nuts. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Unfair.

Embattled newsreader Natasha Exelby has left the ABC, weeks after on-air gaffe

1 Like

Sounds like it was her call. Good luck to her in her future endeavours.

Sounds like it was her decision. Hopefully she gets a mew gig soon.

An ABC spokesperson said, “Natasha Exelby has chosen not to do some casual shifts she was rostered for. Natasha was not taken off-air because of a ‘blooper’ and ABC News has been clear that we’re open to working with her again, including the possibility of future presenting shifts.”

Sounds fair to me.

2 Likes

Am I the only one that couldn’t give a shit about John Coates, or the Olympic Committee Presidency? What a stupid internal dispute that none of us should be hearing about, or caring about. Can’t believe it was being broadcast on the ABC live, lol. A decision to switch to the Minister’s press conference regarding sweeping media reforms entirely appropriate in my view.

3 Likes

This is the downside with a 24x7 news channel (or even one that pretends to be 24x7); they too often end up giving too much coverage to things which aren’t really of much significance/interest to the majority of people, just because it’s happening now.

1 Like

Looks like Natasha Exelby decided to walk away from the ABC because they changed her shifts and didn’t do the right thing by her.

‘The ABC didn’t do the right thing by me’
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/television/natasha-exelby-slams-the-abc-after-they-changed-her-newsreader-shifts-over-an-onair-blooper/news-story/8a3058324a9fe162fd7e575038d40f18

I think she will find a hard time getting work in Australia from now - surely the fallout from leaving Ten and now the ABC will leave pretty much all her bridges burnt - especially to wait only a couple days to completely trash her previous employer in a tabloid… I can’t imagine Seven or Nine will want to employ her if she is so willing to speak out about perceived mistreatment.

Nonetheless it’s still ABCs fuckup from handling a cute little viral hiccup in the exact opposite way that they should have.

8 Likes

The only Australian news network I could imagine Natasha Exelby being picked up by is Sky News.

5 Likes

Even then i think sky news wouldnt pick her up. I dont know. As far as i am concerned it seems to me shes just blaming abc for her gaffee. It was her own fault. She should have been concentrating and keeping an eye for transition for the nexf segment But whats done is done. Damaged goods or not seems to me shes moved on.

Someone said on anither said that she may have planned it … lol. I laughed at thst idea.

I agree with you on this . The amount of coverage abc gave was overkill for the internal politics af the OCC.

1 Like

She wouldn’t be the first newsreader to fall into that trap… and others have stayed employed from what would probably be worse gaffes.

Thinking of one Ms Thiele from some years ago :wink:

7 Likes

Sky also covered this as much as the ABC.

Actually was about to ask that. Thanks for clarifying.

Just saw a promo with the old news theme (as in 80s and 90s theme tune)? Anyone else seen it?

1 Like