ABC News (Channel)

The supers will be slightly different depending on the output studio. I just noticed that the interview by Chris Uhlmann (from Canberra) this hour (13:00, 20/4) had the ticker (from Sydney) extending further right than the white super (from Canberra) and the white super from both Sydney and Canberra extends slightly further upwards than the watermark (from MediaHub).

The only thing that annoys me about the alignment, though, is the clock. It’s anchored to the right of itself, not the left, so whenever there’s a thin number it moves to the right when it really should be aligned to the left of the worm.

The numerals in the font should be of a fixed width so that the alignment doesn’t move as the time ticks over.

2 Likes

Here’s how the channel looks on a screen in Burwood (NSW):

4 Likes

Where do they have an outdoor telly like that?

1 Like

I think that screen is just outside the train station at Burwood.

Of course. I recognise the railway bridge at the entrance now.

https://img.memesuper.com/9e328a94d8b5710a4f20ea609c9b949a_comment-picture-4k-full-hd-meme_360-360.jpeg

19 Likes

Wow, I wish we had a screen like that.

It’s because it’s LED’s

1 Like

NineNews.com.au is still calling it as ABC 24 (from a recent article)

The host of the ABC 24’s Australia Wide program fell afoul of Facebook users today when she posted “Lest We Forget (Manus.Nauru. Syria. Palestine)”.

1 Like

paging Firetorch

3 Likes

As well as News.com.au in their article. Poor ABC, even after almost 7 years, the name “ABC News 24” didn’t sink in for viewers, even after its rebrand to ABC News!

1 Like

Oh, we’ve already been discussing this in the Federal Politics thread. I had no idea she actually hosts a show on the ABC too.

Paging decent people for presenting slots on Australian television.

I sat through 30 minutes of that Australia Wide drivel before the ABC News relaunch, this one specifically:

The first story I caught was the bit about NIMBYs who don’t want their ‘heritage listed’ houses being knocked down for a train line.

Then (and this one will get your blood boiling), a ridiculous story covering a Melbourne University student’s campaign to completely wipe out the Picnic at Hanging Rock story/myth/whatever from the Australian psyche because it overshadowed the Indigenous history of the area.

I felt myself getting dumber and dumber as I watched that bit.

1 Like

Hah, I can’t believe I’ve just read that on the ABC’s page, it’s almost a parody. When you try and jump down too many rabbit holes to find the hottest take, the edgiest opinion, you end up turning your arse inside out.

“Live Event” transition tonight of London ‘incident’.

3 Likes

Live event sounds like something on a pay per view sports channel. ‘Developing story’ or similar would work better imo.

6 Likes

Special program tonight on 100 days of Trump Presidency.

Note the reference to the channel as NEWS CHANNEL

9 Likes

And this is what I hate about this rebrand, the need to add qualifiers to clarify it’s on the main channel’s bulletin, the TV news network or the radio network.

8 Likes

In this case I found I needed to listen back to the commentary to know that it was on TV rather than perhaps ABC News Radio given that RN is mentioned. I had to check the EPG before posting to make sure. I suppose, now I know.

It’s what I thought as soon as I heard the ABC was going down the same route as the BBC. “The BBC News Channel” “The ABC News Channel” “ABC News on Radio”…

I get that there’s research which suggests that viewers, listeners and readers see those services as part of a larger operation, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t value in having subsidiary brands. The old regime with News 24 and NewsRadio was still very obviously the ABC. My parents still say “I’ll just flick on News 24”.

The problem with the new regime, as @TV.Cynic pointed out, is that it’s less specific. Whereas once upon a time “News 24” denoted specifically on TV, now “ABC News” could mean on abc.net.au/news, livestreaming on Facebook, being broadcast on “News on Radio” or being telecast on “the News Channel”. There’s too much imprecision with “ABC News” and I feel they tried to solve a problem which didn’t exist.

6 Likes