ABC News (Channel)

If you guys want to let the ABC know, I suggest you go over to their complaints page and drop them a message.

I complained when I learnt they were dropping the 24 from the news channel and got a personal response, so if enough people tell the ABC they’re/we’re unhappy with the legibility/style of the graphics, perhaps they’ll do some more tweaks. Just a suggestion.

http://www.abc.net.au/contact/complain.htm

5 Likes

I think I’ve figured out what is wrong with the “ABC News” brand merger.
They haven’t done any real merging. ABC NewsRadio, online and News 24 are still run like distinct services but branded as if they were one and the same.

If they had really done a merger, NewsRadio wouldn’t have it’s own news site for example. It would be seen as a natural extension of the Online service. As would News 24 (which already is, to an extent). At the moment it’s just a partially integrated mess. It doesn’t benefit from clearly separate branding, but it isn’t benefiting from integration either.

As for HD? News 24 is one of the last stations I’d ask for in HD.
As said before it should be accessible to all, and the idea of watching 288p smartphone clips retransmitted from news feed to news feed in glorious 1080i doesn’t fill me with much excitement.
The ABC still struggle to do their entertainment programming and presentation in HD as it is. The last thing they need is a distraction like that.

1 Like

In regards to the graphics, there are two separate integrations going on here. The news graphics have been integrated and play out from Ultimo whereas the news ticker, clock and abc news logo have been integrated and play out from mediahub in Ingleburn. All the news ticker problems are because of mediahub.

1 Like

So when is that being fixed?

Still doesn’t excuse the poor quality.
The other graphics from the previous package didn’t have these issues…

News ticker is back… but seems to be chopped off (at least on my TV?)

2 Likes

That’s because of overscan. Some TVs have an option to fix that (some - like mine - don’t).

2 Likes

I’m looking at the online stream and it does look like they’ve taken some liberties with the safe areas compared to before.

In this age of digital TV, you have to wonder why TV manufacturers bother with this overscan business. I don’t think there’s any good reason for deliberately zooming the picture in these days. It’s not like TV networks are hiding anything on the edges of the frame that they don’t want you to see.

5 Likes

Occasionally with overscan off you get those white numbers at the top of the screen. My television has three options, overscan off, normal and +1 overscan. Even on normal (which unless you’ve gone to the effort to turn overscan off, is what I’m sure most TVs would show), the ticker comes very close to the edge, some of the lower hanging letters, like p and g, are cut off at the bottom.

1 Like

That breaking news red ticker with lower case small white font is completely unreadable.

And what about people watching from a distance at airports, gyms, waiting rooms etc.

Impossible to read,

It needs to be ion capitals and larger.

Damn they fucked all this up

3 Likes

Ticker on all day, the channel almost looked like a news channel again.

Unfortunately it disappeared for Lateline and the World.

While I’m here, why didn’t the World get a relaunch? It was much better when it came from Sydney using the standard channel graphics…

1 Like

It used the same graphics When it was from sydney.

Al Jazeera news hour is currently on. ABC News are using a coverup over AJ’s news ticker, but have nothing of their own in its place. Just a black bar. Go figure.

2 Likes

No it didn’t. It used the standard slider look. Since moving to Melbourne it adopted the purple night sky look.

Blank ticker from overnight

2 Likes

Pretty sure the ticker is here to stay, it’s on ABC News mornings

1 Like

I think the ticker is currently being run from the ABC News (channel) control room. You’ll notice graphics transitions cover the whole screen including the ticker, but not the watermark and clock. The old ticker was superimposed by MediaHub like the watermark and clock continue to be.

It would certainly make more sense for the ticker to come out of the control room. If that’s the case then mediahub have only screwed up the clock.

I see that the supers have been moved slightly to the left reducing that big black blob to their left. I don’t see the point of extending them to the edge of the screen; it just takes up screen real estate for no purpose. If the plan is to extend out to the screen edge, the clock/logo should as well; now it looks out of balance.

Top = now, bottom = yesterday

OK - starting to get a bit obsessive now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Also an indication of the ticker being done in the control room is the fact that it is shown on ABC (Main Channel) during the simulcast of the Midday bulletin which is on the news channel at the same time.

Previously the screening on ABC didn’t have the flipper.

They don’t do a separate Midday Report bulletin anymore.

I think it is the same for the simulcast of Weekend Breakfast on Sunday morning.