ABC News (Channel)

Interesting, must be VPN

It had a 404 error yesterday tho.

3 Likes

Interestingly, I have been able to access ABC News 24’s YouTube stream for the last 24 hours, despite it usually being geoblocked overseas. Someone a bit forgetful?

Could be wrong, but don’t they usually unblock it in the case of big stories, such as the fires?

1 Like

This was at around I’d say 11pm AEDT, when there was a repeat of Planet America being shown. Right now in the early hours of the morning Australian time, I’m seeing BBC World on 24. I’m not complaining though :slight_smile:

Yes, they’ve removed the geoblock in the past for big stories.
My understanding is geoblocking is in-place because the ABC News 24 channel shows some programming/content which is subject to licensing restrictions (e.g. some foreign programme content, but also sports coverage in news is more restricted in other countries than Australia; not just the Olympics & FIFA World Cup) and so it’s easier for the ABC to usually leave it geoblocked.

1 Like

Here’s hoping when the channel is relaunched next month, they put some effort in to their evening lineup. I have noticed an awful use of look lives and pre-recorded studio chats that have been recycled throughout the afternoon and evening.

Eg, the 9pm bulletin had a look live from the bushfires which had obviously been recorded early or mid afternoon. I don’t know how many times it had been run - and using it up until 6/7pm is passable. But when it’s pitch black in the east coast markets, it looks silly and an example of poor production value. With a story like that - get the reporter to do an updated version, or run a pkg. the reporter is there - make use of them.

Similarly they run a lot of studio chats over and over again, which look poor when they just cut to it - needs a two shot. If you’re going to do it, re-rerun the presenter’s intro so at least it looks better.

They do a fantastic job with Mornings, lots of fresh and rolling content. I know evenings are quite re pressers etc but jazz up the format a bit. I don’t want opinion and bullshit that Sky gives - straight news is fine, but give it some flair.

Standing presentation. - chats with sport and weather presenter. Fast paced VOs. I know it’s the ABC and it’s never going to be over the top with stings, whooshes etc, but they do need to freshen it up a bit.

3 Likes

Perhaps if the ABC decide to go ahead with a modernised take of the 1985-2005 theme, we might see a lot more stings and whooshes, the original had a lot of variations over the years. I hope that ABC News will relaunch not just with a new look, but a focus on keeping the service fresh and up to date with today’s demands from a news service in today’s decade of online awareness.

1 Like

If this article is anything to go by, we may just see that.

Back in August, Peter Wall, one of the theme’s composers, lifted the original recordings from old half-inch tapes and sent them to be remixed by Aussie group Bag Raiders.

With the remix gaining the blessing of one of the original composers, fingers crossed this is what we will hear!

1 Like

Haha yes, I have written hugely about this in the past year after my discoveries about the ABC’s changing image with the News service and the Corporate image, and I have received quite a lot of praise from it! :blush:

You can read my personal analysis of the ABC’s changing corporate image here: ABC News Presenters and Reporters - #319 by Biscuit45

And my comments regarding the possible return of the 1985-2005 theme with a modernised rendition: ABC News Presenters and Reporters - #367 by Biscuit45

I’m really looking forward to hopefully seeing a return of the classic memorable theme, it seems a lot of people would love to see it return with a modern twist! :slight_smile:

I am looking forward to the relaunch of ABC News 24. Hopefully a new decent look too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The 24 hour network will just be called “ABC News” now, losing the ‘24’

And I think they said in a press release that the bulletins on ABC will be called “ABC News at 7”

The news network becomes the default brand

1 Like

[quote=“KICK-IT, post:153, topic:224, full:true”]
The 24 hour network will just be called “ABC News” now, losing the ‘24’[/quote]

It also may be referred to as “The ABC News Channel” according to the official ABC press release.

I had not heard that though! That’s very interesting, if that is the case, I wonder how’ll they’ll squeeze in the state name in that name like “ABC News at 7 LIVE from Perth” or something.

I look forward to see how the ABC will will explain the ABC News brand outside on-air, the early 2010s was expanding their grasp into the digital age, now it’s expanding their brand further than just TV.

Sure you aren’t getting mixed up with the BBC rebadging its bulletins to BBC News at 1/6/10 back when they dropped the 24 from the news channel? I don’t remember ABC News at 7 ever being mentioned.

Interesting that an upcoming episode of Newton’s Law contains fake TV news in the form of breaking news from ABC 24 using different graphics. Probably just a mock?

An interview special with NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg will be shown on the channel tomorrow (Sunday) from 12.30pm to 1pm AEDT. ABC Radio chief rugby league commentator Andrew Moore conducted the interview with Greenberg earlier this week ahead of the new season next week.

Is Nate Byrne presenting the weather during ABC News Mornings with Joe O’Brien like Vanessa used to?

yeah he’s on until around 2 or 3 in the arvo. I assume pre-recorded.

11pm news is coming from Melbourne and the backdrop has been keyed.

3 Likes