ABC News (Channel)

Wow. Thanks @SEQTelevision! She has definitely improved since her Ten days!

4 Likes

a slight blunder.

2 Likes

Kumi Taguchi is now on Holidays. Will be back on the 30th.

1 Like

Is ABC News 24 still planning a rebrand?

Joe O’Brien has tweeted that ABC News 24 will show Barack Obama’s farewell address at Chicago tomorrow (Wednesday) at 1pm AEDT, followed by Donald Trump’s media conference at 3am AEDT Thursday.

2 Likes

According to previous information regarding the rebrand, ABC News 24 will be simply renamed to “ABC News”, as will ABC NewsRadio. To quote the NewscastStudio website regarding the rebrand:

Currently called “ABC News24” and “NewsRadio,” respectfully, the two entities will be known as only “ABC News” after the change.

Since this will be the case, wording of the channel and radio bulletin will be changed to avoid confusion as mentioned by an ABC spokeswoman in the Brisbane Times article:

But how do we distinguish between them – and the TV news bulletins? A spokeswoman says: "When necessary, they will be described as ‘the ABC News channel’ and ‘ABC News on radio’ respectively … the TV bulletins will be described as ‘ABC news [State name] at 7pm on ABC TV’."

So I’d say, new promos post-rebrand may sound like this, “Four Corners, Saturday, on the ABC News Channel.”, instead of “ABC News24”.

4 Likes

For my 3.49 cents worth, this rebrand seems like a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, especially as they have to specify more cumbersome wording to differentiate the TV and radio channels.

It’s not like ABC NewsRadio and ABC News 24 didn’t already have the ABC News brand in there somewhere…

5 Likes

I get the thinking behind it.

They want ABC News to be CNN or BBC News.

Just that. One name.

“I saw this report on ABC News” - someone might say.

One universal brand for all outlets.

In think in an age of on demand news where people get their news from abc apps, abc online, abc facebook feeds, the 24 hour tv channel, and the 24 hour radio channel… to keep referring to just the 7pm broadcast as “abc news” - and all the other platforms as versions of this - is kinda outdated

It is simply abc news - everywhere. Anytime

3 Likes

In a way they’ve been trying to pushback against the notion you’ve outlined. I’ve noticed recently in local radio ads for the 7pm bulletin that it’s referred to as “7pm News on ABC TV” in order to highlight that ABC News isn’t now merely that single TV bulletin but a wider service

2 Likes

Agreed. It’s like what the BBC did back in 2008 with “BBC News 24”.

Lets not forget ABC News America too is just ABC News so there could be problems with people differentiating between the two - ABC News (US) And ABC News (Aus).

Could be an issue too? I’m curious if I was right in thinking that? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

No more ambiguous or confusing than [Channel number] News. How many stations across the USA call their news bulletins that?

It might be worth distinguishing the country where there’s potentially an international audience, e.g. on social media or on their website, but for domestic TV and radio, it’s fine.

4 Likes

Exactly. How many NBC4’s are there in the US? The confusion between the US ABC and our ABC shouldn’t matter in regards to local branding.

4 Likes

As long as the Aus Broadcasting Corp continue to use their logo & don’t decide to name their evening news “ABC World News Tonight”, I think it’ll be fine.

7 Likes

I’m still not convinced. The problem with this is it becomes harder to advertise what those outlets are when they all have the same name.

“Coverage continues on ABC NewsRadio, News 24 and online” sounds so much more efficient than “Coverage continues on ABC News through Radio, our news channel and online”.

Which radio is being referred to? Local? RN? Triple J? News Radio? Classic FM?

The current branding scheme does things well, because the brands are associated with their mediums and are specific. ABC News 24 = TV. ABC NewsRadio = radio, duh. Whereas ABC News and ABC News is no different from ABC News (the 7pm bulletin) and ABC News (the department of the ABC more broadly). ABC News.

I still think this idea of streamlining all services under one title creates more confusion than it solves. If they were to adopt a system of differentiating services whilst still maintaining the ABC News as front and centre, I think that would be the way to go.

ABC News at Seven
ABC News 24
ABC News Radio
ABC News Online
ABC News App

^Each of those differentiates the medium whilst maintaining ABC News as the single unifying brand.

That’s why Nine added dots to before their logos and relaunched their catchup as 9Now. The umbrella brand - “Nine” - is still there, front and centre, but now you can tag on another brand (9Gem, 9Honey, 9News) and you know exactly what service they’re directing you toward. If Nine followed the ABC’s lead, every service would be “Nine on channel 99”, “Nine on channel 90”, “Nine online”.

It’s just plain nuts and I refuse to believe readers, viewers and listeners are too stupid to realise a service comes from the ABC unless they have ABC News blared in their faces. People aren’t that stupid.

3 Likes

Let’s see how they execute it

4 Likes

Thanks but I’d rather incoherently speculate.

2 Likes

I know ABC News 24 had to go to SD to accommodate ABC HD, but the picture quality now seems particularly bad. Especially when there is movement on the screen - seems to be pixilation and weird coloured ghosting.

Would be a pity if they launch new graphics that end up looking awful on air.

4 Likes

Hi team, is anyone having issues with the ABC News24 M3u8. I was using
http://iphonestreaming.abc.net.au/news24/news24.m3u8 but it seems to have stopped working recently

Just tested it, it still works.

1 Like