ABC New Year's Eve Coverage

u mean lower left…lol

Yeah, lower left of course. Sorry.

1 Like

The coverage frequently receives complaints because it is frequently crap.

They actually fucked up the 10 second count down to midnight tonight. Can you believe it? It’s their ONE job for the whole night. Was no-one communicating with the hosts?

Then - oh my god - PLEASE can we have vision of the fireworks with the harbour bridge as the focal point? Do we need a cut away every two seconds to some drone/copter in the sky 2km away from the action? Why would we want to see little bright dots on a black screen instead of our screens being full of the display?

The organisers do several batches of fireworks for people AT THE HARBOUR who are at different locations. We don’t need to zoom out to ridiculous levels to see them all at home. As viewers we should be treated to the BEST vantage point.

For example, we had a firewall effect coming off the bridge at one point, and instead of switching back to a shot of the bridge so we could see the WIDTH of the wall/bridge, we were actually given a side on view - how does that capture the total effect?

Just so incredibly dopey.

Oh, and I only tuned in for 10 minutes - half of that was an annoyingly long ABC promo for what was prime time in the few minutes before midnight, and the rest was inane padding with a nobody musician. I pity anyone that had to suffer through the 5 hours of it.

1 Like

I very, very much hate this style of reporting where random tweets by nobodies (often not even by people displaying their real name) are posted in sequence with a few remarks by the reporter dispersed throughout, as if they are performing a scaling function and weighing up opinion.

It’s the same shit BuzzFeed does. Thankfully I haven’t looked at news.com.au or its derivative sites in at least a year now. Seriously bad “journalism”.

3 Likes

Neil McMahon, of the ABC, provides a great summary of the awfulness in Fairfax today.

There was nothing wrong with the musical acts shoehorned in to proceedings from the Falls Festival, but it didn’t quite work as the foundation entertainment for a New Year’s Eve broadcast in the build-up to midnight.

No. It was niche. What it needed to be was national.

4 Likes

I agree about those music performances. The Hoodoo Gurus were great at the end. Maybe there could be more such performances at the Opera House and they don’t necessarily have to be shown live. Just screen them as near live as possible, between The Pub Quiz.

2 Likes

I really like one of Neil’s suggestions about future coverage of the fireworks:

[quote]…or, maybe Sydney City Council could abandon its exclusivity deals and throw the December 31 show open to all-comers. Let the ABC, SBS and the commercial networks all have a go at showing us how it should be done, and let the viewers land where they may.

Who knows, a bit of creative competition might bring all manner of sizzle and spark to an annual broadcast that is desperately in need of both.[/quote]
One of few good things about the New York NYE ball drop/post-12am celebrations is the amount of networks that can cover them. Between ABC, NBC, CNN and Fox News - each of the broadcasts have a different style which appeals to different audiences. If a similar model was adopted for the Sydney fireworks, the same thing would occur which is great for the viewing public.

8 Likes

I agree, the drone shots were being used a bit gratuitously this year. To make matters worse, the feed from the drone looked dreadful in HD - like a crappy Facebook live stream.

Anyone got a clip of this? I didn’t notice it while watching it live.

These promotional things were incredibly annoying. They totally interrupted the flow of everything and were obvious time fillers (especially that awkward chat with the lead singer of the Hoodoo Gurus following their performance). They probably lost all the viewers in the 3 minute long credits/promo sequence before Rage.

I agree with that Falls Festival comment. Far too niche for New Years Eve. The Hoodoo Gurus were good, though.

I suggested this last year - dump the crappy Big Fat Quiz rip-off or move it to an earlier timeslot, and program Rage from the end of the family fireworks to 11:55pm…perhaps with a live cross or two to some live music from well-known artists (probably too much to ask).

2 Likes

The problem being that the commercial networks here simply aren’t interested in producing what would be an event almost exclusively watched by Sydneysiders. Why would the three commercial networks - all of them in dire financial straits in comparison to a decade ago - compete for a total audience of approximately 1.3 million people, most of whom are going to switch the TV on for fifteen minutes at midnight?

9pm Family Fireworks

3 Likes

Midnight Fireworks

5 Likes

Channel Nine better pick up the NYE Fireworks from the ABC and air them Properly.

4 Likes

I don’t see what was so bad about it?

1 Like

Same here @NRN11. I think people just like to complain about the broadcast no matter which channel it’s on. People complained when it was on Nine, complained when it was on Ten and now complain since it’s been on the ABC.

9 Likes

Watching the London Fireworks right now and their also paying tribute to Prince, David Bowie and George Michael.

1 Like

TheStyles83, just watched the BBC’s coverage too. Wow. So far superior to the Sydney display (and ABC’s coverage) in every way. Sydney’s is looking very daggy and 15 years ago.

Time for a major overhaul next year.

Don’t have a clip but the hosts had to be notified by one of the musicians that it had already started. The 10 seconds were then rushed…in less than 10 seconds. Was horrible. Why is an animated countdown on a major landmark not part of the display anyway?

Channel Nine wouldn’t want the fireworks, how do you think they’ve ended up with the ABC?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/television/abcs-new-years-eve-coverage-divides-viewers/news-story/571cad03e2d139773931ef666c004824

You had one job ABC. Countdown was stuffed up!

1 Like

Watching the coverage from Sydney last night & for a few seconds I thought I was watching footage from the year 2000.