ABC New Year's Eve Coverage

I’m currently running the news.com.au and The Daily Telegraph Twitter feeds. If anything related to the ABC’s NYE coverage pops up, I’ll let you know! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Who is that singing Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again?

1 Like

did the audience sing the response to that song? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Isabella Manfredi from The Preatures

Yes, although not that clear on the telly.

5 Likes

Alrighty, here we go!

And yes I know, it’s absolutely pathetic journalism. But I’m posting it here for the benefit of those who want a good laugh. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That’s an appalling piece of journalism, calling it ‘journalism’ is very generous. Extremely biased and a poor attempt of being funny. They just can’t resist.

6 Likes

Yes, totally rational Twitter user quoted in the article. It is an entirely sensible thing to sack a broadcast technician in the middle of a broadcast.

I’m getting too old for this shit

2 Likes

Personally I haven’t been watching the coverage (so therefore am not commenting on how good or otherwise it is/was), but would really like to know where the “Viewers slam Sky News’ pathetic NYE coverage” article is from news.com.au or The Daily Telegraph…oh wait a minute, there won’t be one because you know, News Corp.

Speaking of that high quality beacon of journalism that is The Daily Telegraph, of course they couldn’t resist again bringing up last year’s incident by headlining it in their (subscriber only - although the overall quality of it isn’t anywhere near high enough to be deserving of paywall status IMO!) article highlighting the other major Australian TV fails of 2018:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/television/on-new-years-eve-we-look-back-at-australias-tv-bloopers-in-2018/news-story/054f0a5a5c6e495b86438f54b70d0fef?utm_source=DailyTelegraph&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF

1 Like

We have a new born baby and this is the first New Year’s Eve I’ve been sitting at home in about 16 years haha! ABC are doing a great job of this broadcast though and Casey Donovan has been brilliant, absolutely stellar performer, I really hope her musical career kicks off in a big way soon because her voice is outstanding.

7 Likes

Who can forget’s Ten’s dismal 2006 coverage when Matthew Newton performed sexual activity on air causing outrage or ABC’s first broadcast which didn’t went exactly to plan.

The coverage since 2017 has improved with ABC getting it right.

I have been. It’s been great.

I did take a sneak peek at Sky News and saw a reporter stumbling while describing what police are doing tonight.

2 Likes

Ah no he did not. It was Matthew Newton.

3 Likes

That was a shocker!

This rendition of Never Tear Us Apart by Tim Minchin is superb IMO.

1 Like

Ironically is Ginger Gorman in the eyes of News Corp readers would be the classic lefty straight out of the tax payer funded sheltered workshop that is the ABC.

I suspect she’ll be having the final laugh at the absurdity of the situation.

2 Likes

Great performance of I Still Call Australia Home by Ben Folds as well. I just can’t hear that song without thinking of the Chaser QANTAS parody though.

Was wondering where Daryl Braithwaite was, now performing the song which many seem to think is his only song.

2 Likes

Which wasn’t even his song, he did it as a cover and filler song to end off an album but it became all that he was known for in the end despite having several other hits.

2 Likes

You’d think “One Summer” would be the perfect song to play at an Australian NYE concert. But for some reason, everyone loves Horses…

4 Likes

Dear Darryl - shut the f##k up.

Actually, everyone on the ABC coverage - shut the f##k up you inner west hipster a###holes.

I’ve been switching between my Thunder being thrashed, ABC’s coverage, Sky News’s trainwreck and the Freddie Mercury doco on SBS - boring as bats##t.

1 Like

Happy New Year everyone at Media Spy!!

4 Likes