ABC TV - Programs and Schedules

Ashby doesn’t know how Vegemite is spread on toast and sandwiches. It is always only a smear. Clueless in every area of his life.

1 Like

Update - iView premiere now set for Saturday 6 April.

No change to main channel broadcast.

1 Like

ABC has acquired British murder drama London Kills from American streaming service Acorn.

ABC has also bought documentary Heal Me in the Name of Jesus from UK distributor Orange Smarty.

The Variety and C21 articles don’t state that the ABC has purchased London Kills. They instead state that the ABC has bought rights to Finding Joy and Keeping Faith. Is there another source?

TV Tonight based the article on the Variety report. Did David mix it up? :thinking:

The Recording Studio

image|60x

From Tuesday 16 April at 8:00pm

The Recording Studio gives Australians a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to record in a world class studio with industry professionals. They must overcome their fears and realise their dreams so they can give the gift of a song that tells their story to someone special.

On The Recording Studio, everyday Australians are offered the chance of a lifetime, to help them professionally record the one song that means more to them than any other. It’s a place where stories can be told and captured forever.

Across 10 episodes the audience intimately get to know each person and the reason behind their recording. This behind the scenes look at what it takes to record a song is at times humorous, at times heartbreaking, but always moving, with the talent of these normal Aussies awe inspiring.

The Recording Studio will showcase many musical genres, from opera to rap, and country to contemporary music. Featuring original compositions and timeless classics, these lucky Australians will not only record their keepsake, they will also take a sneak peek behind the veil of the music industry.

The Recording Studio will be filmed at the iconic ABC precinct in the heart of Sydney which is being opened to the public for the very first time. The series takes a step inside Studio 227 – home of Triple J’s Like A Version and Live at The Wireless - where world class acts like the Foo Fighters, Paul Kelly, The Strokes, Silverchair and Missy Higgins have walked the halls, played and recorded.

The Recording Studio will also access The Eugene Goossens Hall, a huge, purpose built 400 square metre orchestral recording studio, and the home of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.

Each contributor is mentored by a team of the music industry’s most acclaimed and talented producers. All experts in their genres, with a bucket load of Australian and International hits under their belts, the producers use their skilful hands to bring out the power and the story of each recording. Working with acclaimed recording engineer Anna Laverty, who’s worked with everyone from Florence and The Machine to Nick Cave, and respected Music Director and accomplished pianist, Scott Aplin, the team bring the recordings to life with the technical know-how only usually afforded to professionals. With such unique industry talents on hand to offer advice and industry know-how, each recording is a special and powerful lasting memory in song.

People of all ages and from all walks of life reveal their songs, their talents and most importantly, their stories. From the hardship of life in the Australian bush to celebrating the preservation of Indigenous language. We hear songs to walk down the aisle to, songs celebrating family and cultural diversity. Each song and story is unique and is performed as a gift to someone very special.

Voiced by music industry heavyweight Megan Washington, The Recording Studio celebrates the power of music to heal… inspire… and to transform!

Production details: Produced in association with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation © 2018 FremantleMedia Australia Pty Ltd and Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Based on the format The Recording Studio. Created by Boundless, part of Fremantle, UK

Agatha Christie’s: The ABC Murders

image|60x

From Sunday 5 May at 7:40pm

Poirot is back in a new three-part adaptation of one of his most exhilarating cases.

1933; Hercule Poirot (John Malkovich) has fallen out of favour with Scotland Yard. When he receives letters threatening murder and no one is willing to listen, the once great detective must take matters into his own hands.

Starring two-time Academy Award nominee and Emmy-winning actor, writer, producer John Malkovich as Hercule Poirot and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter franchise) as Inspector Crome, The ABC Murders is widely regarded as one of Agatha Christie’s best mysteries

Week commencing 21 April

Easter Sunday 21 April
7:40pm Restoration Australia Season Final
8:40pm Vera: Black Ice
10:10pm Apple Tree Yard
11:05pm The Crater

Monday 22 April
8:00pm TBA
9:00pm Maigret in Montmartre
10:30pm ABC Late News
11:00pm Restoration Australia

Tuesday 23 April
8:00pm The Recording Studio: The Church Family and Maddie Newton
8:30pm Employable Me Australia Season Final
9:30pm Monash And Me: Peter Greste On Australia’s Great Commander (Part 1)
11:00pm The Business
11:15pm TBA

Wednesday 24 April
8:00pm Anh’s Brush With Fame: Lindy Chamberlain
8:30pm The Weekly With Charlie Pickering
9:00pm You Can’t Ask That: Carnies and Show People
9:30pm QI
10:00pm Mum: May
11:15pm Fighting Spirit: Wheeling Diggers’ Invictus Games Dream

ANZAC Day Thursday 25 April
4:25am AEST Anzac Dawn Service From Sydney
5:30am AEST Anzac Dawn Service From Canberra
6:00am News Breakfast On Anzac Day
9:00am Anzac Day State Marches – Check Local Guides - see below
12:30pm AEST Anzac Day: Gallipoli Dawn Service 2019
1:30pm AEST Anzac Day: Villers-Bretonneux Dawn Service 2019

8:00pm Escape From The City: Fleurieu Peninsula SA: The Taylors
9:00pm TBA
10:05pm TBA
11:15pm Wentworth: Love and Hate

State variations:

New South Wales
9:00am Anzac Day March Sydney 2019

Australian Capital Territory
9:00am Anzac Day: ABC News
10:30am Anzac Day March Canberra 2019

Queensland
10:00am Anzac Day March Brisbane 2019

Victoria
9:00am Anzac Day March Melbourne 2019
3:00pm Anzac Day Commemorative Service - Melbourne 2019

Tasmania
11:00am Anzac Day March Hobart 2019

Northern Territory
3:55am Anzac Dawn Service From Sydney
5:00am Anzac Dawn Service From Canberra
5:30am News Breakfast On Anzac Day
8:30am Anzac Day: ABC News
10:15am Anzac Day March Darwin 2019
11:45am Anzac Day: ABC News
12:00pm Anzac Day: Gallipoli Dawn Service 2019
1:00pm Anzac Day: Villers-Bretonneux Dawn Service 2019

South Australia
3:55am Anzac Dawn Service From Sydney
5:00am Anzac Dawn Service From Canberra
5:30am News Breakfast On Anzac Day6:00am News Breakfast On Anzac Day
8:30am Anzac Day: ABC News
9:00am Anzac Day March Adelaide 2019
12:30pm Anzac Day: Gallipoli Dawn Service 2019
1:30pm Anzac Day: Villers-Bretonneux Dawn Service 2019

Western Australia
2:25am Anzac Dawn Service From Sydney
3:30am Anzac Dawn Service From Canberra
4:00am News Breakfast On Anzac Day
7:00am Anzac Day: ABC News
9:00am Anzac Day March Perth 2019
12:00pm Anzac Day: Gallipoli Dawn Service 2019
1:00pm Anzac Day: Villers-Bretonneux Dawn Service 2019

Friday 26 April
7:30pm Gardening Australia
8:30pm Killing Eve
9:15pm Silent Witness: Moment of Surrender (Part 1)
10:15pm ABC Late News
10:45pm The Business
11:05pm The Weekly With Charlie Pickering
11:30pm rage

Saturday 27 April
7:30pm The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco: Not Cricket
8:15pm Call The Midwife
9:15pm Fearless
10:05pm TBA
11:30pm rage Guest Programmer: Judas Priest

1 Like

Schedule Update

Thursday 18 April
9:00pm Doctor Foster Season 2 Premiere
10:00 pm TBA

Will Australia Ever Have A Black Prime Minister?

image|60x

Sunday 28 April at 7.40pm

Modern Australia prides itself on being a diverse, multicultural nation. And rightly so. In the last fifty years, this country has evolved from one where race defined it, to one where the colour of a person’s skin is irrelevant. But how true is this? Is Australia the level playing we all like to imagine? Does a young Indigenous person today have a realistic chance of ascending to the highest office in the land?

Join Indigenous actor and musician Mark Coles Smith (Picnic at Hanging Rock, Last Cab to Darwin) as he investigates the likelihood of Australia ever having a black Prime Minister.

As a young Indigenous man, who grew up in outback Australia, it’s a subject close to his heart.

Mark will examine our past leaders and analyse how they got to lead our country. He’ll expose some of the barriers that Indigenous Australians face, such as racism, housing, access to education, financial support and challenges to identity.

But he’ll also meet inspirational Australians who are working to close the gap, including proud Indigenous man Waverley Stanley, who provides scholarships to Indigenous kids so that they can attend our elite schools. Mark’s sister Malika is currently studying law at Sydney University, taking the same path as many of our past PM’s.

Stan Grant shares his thoughts on growing up Indigenous and reflects on how times have changed. Mark also meets one of our current serving parliamentarians Ken Wyatt from Western Australia, who explains that there is more than one road to take to become PM.

Crunching the numbers with Professor Yin Paradies from Deakin University, Mark discovers some shocking facts about life for an Indigenous Australian, from the level of education they will receive to how likely it is they may go to prison. It’s an eye-opening experience. Finally, he’ll learn the statistical probability of a young Indigenous Australian becoming Prime Minister.

Production details: Joined Up Films Production made with principal production funding from Screen Australia, in association with ABC, Screenewest and Lotterywest. Producer Jacqueline Willinge. Executive Producers Dan Brown, Jacqueline Willinge and Anthony Willinge. ABC Head of Indigenous Kelrick Martin.

Compass: After Politics

image|60x

Sunday 12 May at 6.30pm

This year’s federal election will see many politicians leave parliament. Having spent years serving the country in Canberra, what’s it like when it all comes to an end?

In this special Compass episode, host Kumi Taguchi meets three former high-profile politicians and one who’s just about to retire.

Freed from the shackles of party whips and talking points, they’ll tell us what it was really like working as a politician, why they left when they did and how they’ve found a fulfilling and meaningful life, post politics.

“I still listen to the Senate occasionally. And yes, I shout points of order at the radio… my kids are quite orrified” Former leader of the Democrats, Natasha Stott Despoja

“It’s your family and friends who really make a sacrifice… You know, my daughter needed me and I wasn’t there…for her” Former leader of the ACTU and Labor government minister, Greg Combet

“Truthfully when I first got elected all I wanted to do was survive. Come out with my reputation intact because I could come back and live in my community and I didn’t want to stuff up” Retiring independent member for Indi, Cathy McGowan

“I suspect one of the reasons I’m running the Australian War Memorial and not the country is because I wasn’t a particularly good Politician” Former Leader of the Liberal Party, Brendan Nelson

Does anyone know where The Heights will be moving to now that Killing Eve will return to Fridays? Or have they played out all the episodes?

On break until July.

Week commencing 28 April

Sunday 28 April
7:40pm Will Australia Ever Have A Black Prime Minister?
8:40pm Vera: Home
10:10pm Apple Tree Yard
11:05pm Silent Witness: Moment of Surrender (Part 1)

Monday 29 April
8:00pm Australian Story
8:30pm Four Corners
9:15pm Media Watch
9:35pm Q&A
10:40pm ABC Late News
11:10pm The Business
11:30pm Will Australia Ever Have A Black Prime Minister?

Tuesday 30 April
8:00pm The Recording Studio: Shirley Brayton and Kristian Zorino
8:45pm Joanna Lumley’s Silk Road Adventure: Venice/Albania/Turkey
9:30pm Monash And Me: Peter Greste On Australia’s Great Commander (Part 2)
10:35pm ABC Late News
11:05pm The Business
11:20pm Q&A

Wednesday 1 May
8:00pm Anh’s Brush With Fame: Tim Minchin
9:00pm You Can’t Ask That: Ex-Politicians
10:00pm Mum: August
11:15pm Four Corners

Thursday 2 May
8:00pm Escape From The City: Berowra Waters NSW: The Hespes
9:00pm Doctor Foster
9:55pm TBA
10:25pm ABC Late News
10:55pm The Business
11:15pm Wentworth: Divide and Conquer

Friday 3 May
8:30pm Killing Eve
9:15pm Silent Witness: Moment of Surrender (Part 2)
11:35pm Planet America

Saturday 4 May
7:30pm The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco: Iron in War
10:05pm Black Work Series Final
10:55pm DCI Banks: Undertow (Part 1)
11:40pm rage Guest Programmer: Paul Mac

Week commencing 5 May

Sunday 5 May

7:40pm Agatha Christie’s The ABC Murders Series Premiere
8:40pm Vera: Darkwater Series Final
10:10pm TBA
11:10pm Silent Witness: Moment of Surrender (Part 2)

Monday 6 May
11:30pm My Family And The Galapagos

Tuesday 7 May
8:00pm The Recording Studio: Toni Lamond and Sam Sargood
8:45pm Joanna Lumley’s Silk Road Adventure: Georgia Azerbaijan
9:35pm Prince, Son and Heir: Charles at 70
11:20pm Q&A

Wednesday 8 May
8:00pm Anh’s Brush With Fame: Leah Purcell
9:00pm You Can’t Ask That: Alcoholics
9:35pm QI
10:05pm Mum: October
11:25pm Four Corners

Thursday 9 May
8:00pm Escape From The City: Castlemaine: The Clarkes
9:55pm Would I Lie To You?
11:15pm Wentworth: Panic Button

Friday 10 May
8:30pm Killing Eve: Smell Ya Later
9:15pm Silent Witness: Duty of Candour (Part 1)
11:00pm The Weekly With Charlie Pickering
11:30pm Planet America

Saturday 11 May
7:30pm The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco: Fog of War
10:05pm Unforgotten
10:55pm DCI Banks: Undertow (Part 2) Series Final
11:40pm rage Guest Programmer

Press

image|60x

From Thursday 23 May at 9:00pm

From acclaimed writer Mike Bartlett, this six-part series rips aside the front pages of rival newspapers to reveal the lives, loves and lies of a dynamic group of editors and journalists. Under relentless pressure from the 24-hour news cycle, these passionate professionals go to extraordinary lengths to uncover stories and get them into print.

They hold the powerful to account and turn ordinary people’s lives into headlines, but can they face up to the truth about themselves?

At the Herald, a left-leaning broadsheet struggling to adapt to the age of digital news, deputy news editor Holly Evans pursues a lead over the death of a young woman following a hit-and-run by a police car. When she learns that a nearby shop has already given its CCTV footage of the accident to the Post, a thriving populist tabloid sharing a building in the same square as the Herald, Holly approaches editor Duncan Allen and asks for the tapes. But Duncan still remembers an uncomplimentary article Holly once wrote about him.

At the Post, Oxford graduate Ed Washburn is given his first ‘death knock’, interviewing the parents of Shawn Kingsley, a footballer who has committed suicide. When details emerge about Kingsleys’ private life that prompt his distraught parents to withdraw the interview, Ed comes under pressure to run the story against their will. Duncan is delighted to be approached with compromising pictures of Carla Mason, a front-bench MP known for her feminist stance.

Stars David Suchet, Ben Chaplin, Charlotte Riley, Al Weaver, Ellie Kendrick, Shane Zaza, Paapa Essiedu, Priyanga Burford, Brendan Cowell

Will the ABC show the federal election debate on main channel or on ABC News?

ABC TV has no coverage of the leader’s debate scheduled.

Week commencing 12 May

Sunday 12 May
6:30pm Compass: After Politics Series Return

7:40pm Agatha Christie’s The ABC Murders
8:40pm Harrow: Abo Imo Pectore Season Premiere
9:35pm Shetland
10:35pm Line Of Duty
11:35pm Silent Witness: Duty of Candour (Part 1)

Monday 13 May
11:30pm My Family And The Galapagos

Tuesday 14 May
8:00pm The Recording Studio: Noel, Chloe and Torry, Tony
8:45pm Joanna Lumley’s Silk Road Adventure: Iran
9:35pm Princess Margaret: The Rebel Royal: Pleasure v Duty
11:15pm Q&A

Wednesday 15 May
8:00pm Anh’s Brush With Fame: Leah Purcell
9:00pm You Can’t Ask That: Deaf
10:00pm Mum: December
11:20pm Four Corners

Thursday 16 May
8:00pm Escape From The City: Adelaide Hills SA: The Prossers
9:55pm Would I Lie To You?
11:10pm Wentworth: Plan Bea

Friday 17 May
8:00pm Gardening Australia
8:35pm Killing Eve: I Hope You Like Missionary!
9:15pm Silent Witness: Duty of Candour (Part 2)
11:35pm Planet America

Saturday 18 May
5:00pm Australia Votes 2019
7:00pm ABC News
7:30pm Australia Votes 2019
10:00pm Fearless
10:45pm Unforgotten
11:35pm rage Guest Programmer: IDLES

How many episodes does Escape from the City have? It’s been on since early January.