ABC Local Radio

That’s a shame, it could’ve aired another day, either side.

Meshel Lawrie’s special was also from a Black Saturday exhibition at the museum, so it was relevant.

3 Likes

Good to know, thanks @JohnsonTV.

Yep, this is the exhibition.

So ABC Melbourne did six outside broadcasts yesterday from different locations. Raf Epstein claimed it had never been done before to such a large extent.

3 Likes

Apart from things like “around the grounds” with the old days of AFL/VFL footy when there were six games all on Saturday afternoon.

I wouldn’t have thought they’re overly comparable. Talkback, multiple on air mics, musical petformance, roving mics, remote locations.

Around the grounds were pretty much plug and play of the day, idiot proof technology from what I understand.

1 Like

Joel Peterson is going to call Crows-Power matches this year in SA.

Yes, i posted the other day that Jim Maxwell let it slip during the Canberra test.

I was listening to Drive on ABC Hobart on Thursday and was surprised to hear them play the Flight Centre jingle live on the air. I am guessing it was a mistake.

2 Likes

Don’t play songs straight off YouTube, kids.

2 Likes

The Australian reports today that ABC Melbourne drive host Rafael Epstein and Radio National breakfast host Fran Kelly will head ABC Radio’s coverage of the upcoming federal election.

1 Like

Surely Raf will move to mornings next year? I worry they’ll ditch local conversation hour though and network the Sydney one.

1 Like

I really hope not. Faine’s version is so much better than Fidler’s and offers more flexibility in format and guests than it did initially.

3 Likes

Faine’s was to end last year, but I guess has continued for his final year.

The ABC have really cut corners with local radio resourcing, nothing local from 11am - 2pm. It’s not good enough.

1 Like

Thankfully Hobart and North Tas stations seemed to have managed to dodge that cut to some extent. The Country Hour at 12 and the Tas Afternoons starting at 1.30 after The World Today.

1 Like

No Myf Warhurst? Hallelujah!!! She does one of the most tedious (and poorest rating) shows on ABC Local Radio

1 Like

Yeah no Myf in Tas. I think because the Country Hour runs on the Hobart station as well as the north. I don’t think that runs on the other metros?
The North Tas also gets the Rural Report from 6:30am every weekday and Saturday Night Country every Saturday, both of which Hobart don’t get.

1 Like

Agree, it is terrible. That The World Today would be halved to make room for her rubbish reflects poorly on the ABC.

Correct.

Only on RN Newcastle does the World Today play as a variation.

1 Like

And with the Pell conviction breaking just before 11, The Conversation Hour was dropped today.

Faine will be deeply missed from 774, they should return the world today to an hour and have local afternoons from 1pm til 3pm again and drive back to 3pm

3 Likes