ABC Local Radio

Nothing to do with television. Around the grounds is for people listening on the radio, in the car, at the ground, out in the garden. Impractical places to watch television. Additionally, there’s few simultaneous matches on now considering we had up to six games all at the same time on a Saturday afternoon into the 1990s.

1 Like

Tim Wong See covered ABC Gold Coast breakfast today as foreshadowed by @glen2006.

Gold Coast gets a local breakfast show to provide the 5am content to Brisbane.

Tim did a great job. Program production by Michael James.

2 Likes

As suspected, Ali Moore is covering Faine for the week. He’s back next Monday. Who’d have thought the Herald Sun is full of shit?

1 Like

so less than impressed with ABC’s daytime coverage of the comm games.

On grandstand digital they were running the simulcast of the main abc channel (at least here in brisbane) and really only giving half hourly “updates from the games”

it did get better at night though

1 Like

Coverage on a budget? Tight up?

David Astle will host breakfast on ABC Radio Melbourne from Monday (April 9) as Jacinta Parsons and Sami Shah take a two week break.

1 Like

I had the ABC Listen app on while at work during the day and on the dedicated channel, it was mostly flashbacks to past games, heard the history of Anna Meares, Cathy Freeman, a 5 min update, history of former weightlifter Dean Lukin then I switched off

2 Likes

Get the MacQuarie Sports Radio App Now Brettski you will get up ti date news & Results

Tried them too, not much better

Disappointing. Maybe see how that pans out over the next few days, although footy coverage will take precedence on radio. I guess this is what happens when budget cuts see the gutting of the sports department, save a few $ by limiting live on air time.

1 Like

Jim Maxwell is still there on an obscene amount for the ABC. Protected species? Why hasn’t he been moved on?

What’s he on? I’d question if he’s even full time any more. Aside from cricket and Olympic Games etc, does he have any regular shifts?

Most likely not and for that I’m grateful. Don’t rate him, my personal opinion, but if others like him, good for them.

What happened to beautiful one day, perfect the next?

You’d think the commentary positions might have been undercover

4 Likes

This is Qld, the govt and GOLDOC are not that clever.

1 Like

The Gold Coast Aquatic Centre was originally built to be open air.

Richard Svenson is covering the NSW Waratahs match today for ABC- i thought he did NRL. another one who does more than one code.

Andrew Moore has called 5 NRL matches for ABC this week. Canberra, Cronulla, Auckland & the Olympic Stadium.

2 Likes

ABC have cut costs, merging rural reports. This disgraceful. There needs to be a greater focus on local content, not this pan regional content.

Besides the road and rail, no common link between Muswellbrook and Tamworth. One is in the Hunter, the other is in a western river catchment, rivers flow in different directions. Development encroachments in the Hunter aren’t such a matter in Tamworth and who in each area wants to hear details of the other?

In SA/Vic, this carries on over state borders. Swan Hill Mildura’s merged with Riverland.

1 Like

Another example of a merged rural report panning across two states is the one covering South East NSW & Gippsland (VIC).

2 Likes