ABC Local Radio

Tuesday 6 February

Adelaide drive presenter Jo Laverty is away today, with the Regional SA and Broken Hill Drive program with James Findlay being relayed into Adelaide.

1 Like

Do both production teams keep working in such circumstances or is one of them given a day off?

Would ABC Adel need a panel op added?

1 Like

Possibly. I think they can do it with the crew in Adelaide, and James in Port Pire. Back when Narelle Graham was the regional presenter, she would be the main fill in for Jules Schiller. I think she did a mixture of travelling to Adelaide, and presenting from Port Pire.

There was an instance when both were away, and Leigh Radford did statewide drive for a week. Emma Pedler, the Eyre Peninsula breakfast presenter did a stint over summer in 2022, but travelled to Adelaide.

Last year, they used Jason Chong when Jules was away, to prepare him for taking over Peter Goers on evenings, and during the period when Narelle left and James took over, they used Emma Pedler for the regionals, with Matt Stephens (Riverland Breakfast presenter, who’s since left) doing a stint as well.

Now it seems they’ve gone back to regional filling in for metro, and vice versa. I think that the regional drive producers also file some stories for ABC online, so possibly they work on that.

3 Likes

According the web guide, James program is again being relayed into Adelaide today (Wednesday Feb 7) while Jo Laverty is ill.

Also Spence Denny will be filling in on Saturday Breakfast this weekend, as usual presenter Deb Tribe is attending a wedding.

Update Thursday 8/02: Adelaide again getting the regional program.

1 Like

Friday 9 February
Jo Laverty back presenting drive in Adelaide today after being ill the past few days.

Also after a few months filling in on Sydney Drive, and weekday Nightlife, as well as holidays, Rod Quinn has returned to the Friday-Sunday Overnights show.

2 Likes

ABC Bris will do an OB this morning for the opening of a new footbridge at the mouth of Breakfast Creek, 7-10am.

3 Likes

1 Like

My friend, that is the definition of greed. Other than the apps, a lot of Australia cannot receive Nine’s radio stations and all that and some areas are mobile deadspots.
In my opinion, they should had gave the sub licensing rights to the ABC on the condition that they do not air it on their Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth stations.

2 Likes

Much like what happened in 2008, when 2GB locked 702 ABC Sydney (as it was known then) out from broadcasting the Beijing Olympics in Sydney. Every other ABC Local Radio stations, including the Illawarra & the Central Coast (both of which could be heard into Sydney, particularly the former), continued to broadcast the Beijing Olympics.

1 Like

The inflatable church is located at Light Square in Adelaide CBD with entry near Currie Street.

1 Like

wow they really went from setting to news agenda to commercial brekky show gimmicks quickly.

To be fair, the show has a similar vibe now to when Ali Clarke was presenting, and she managed to score very high ratings. They still cover the days top stories, as well as the 8:30-9am political session with David Bevan.

Either way still better than FiveAA. Personally I listen to ABC because it has no commercials, however, did not like Stacey and Nikolia together on Breakfast. Did not feel right. Stopped listening, and so did many others, however, now tuning in again to Sonya and Jules. Nikolia is also doing fine in the afternoons slot.

The valentines day thing however, yes, is a bit out of place, and is probably more suited to a Friday (if at all), however, they have done a couple of OB’s at the Adelaide Oval (Test Cricket) and Brighton Beach, obviously to connect with listeners, so it’s probably why they are doing this.

1 Like

It appears that Regional SA mornings presenter Angela Coe has left. The 10am-11am slot on Regional SA stations is now being filled by the last hour of the Broken Hill mornings program with Patrick Reincke. Could be a permanent move, however, they have kept separate pages for each program, with Patrick listed as the presenter for both.

That’s a poor deal - especially given the cost to mount the coverage that the ABC would have to cover, to only have <40% of the potential audience

They could relay some events from the OBS if that will help save costs, and have the grandstand team do the main events out of the studio. IIRC when the ABC last did the Olympics, they did it via an OB van next to Seven’s studios.

1 Like

I don’t think the ABC have really lost anything of value in not doing radio coverage of the Olympics. The timezone doesn’t really suit the normal use cases of having radio coverage, like when people are likely to be working/commuting, and thus unable to watch TV coverage.

I have strong memories of listening to the Sydney 2000 coverage from the ABC in bed, but I think those days are past - access to TVs and internet/streaming devices are so ubiquitous that it’d be a huge investment to overcome Nine’s desire for exclusivity.

I’d be interested if the ‘no sub licensing’ holds firm to also mean no syndication - I’m sure they could come to financial terms with at least fiveAA and likely a bunch more regional operators who typically carry Nine Radio content to carry a feed with all of Nine’s national sponsor sales included. That to me would be odd - but I can understand them not wanting an ad-free option on ABC radio.

3 Likes

While the decision makes perfect commercial sense for Nine, and a sub-licensing deal probably wouldn’t be all that viable for the ABC if they were restricted in their coverage area, it still remains massive disappointment for regional radio listeners and only highlights just how poorly served for choice and diversity regional markets are.

Given that most regional markets have two, maybe three, commercial stations at most, and one or two owners per market, it is very unlikely that we will see much syndication occur (maybe those stations that take Hadley/Elliott etc might take some of the coverage but I’d still say it’s a long shot). At best, 25% of the population is still going to miss out.

While I get that it’s not as bad these days with smart speakers and the like and a lot of newer cars having Android Auto/Apple Carplay/Bluetooth as an option, terrestrial radio is still very important and is still very much unmatched in it’s reliability and ease of access, especially in regional areas.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s ever been mentioned but former Seven News Sydney presenter Sarah Cumming is the current ABC Radio Gold Coast Mornings presenter.

4 Likes

Been in the role since the start of last year.

2 Likes

Highlights of this morning’s mass wedding at Adelaide’s Light Square

2 Likes