ABC Classic

Sorry, but I have to agree with TVAU. There are plenty of commercial radio networks who have stations with music formats that appeal to the masses, the ABC’s music stations should be running formats which the mainstream commercial stations won’t touch.

I do agree with ABC Classic FM often overlapping with stations such as 2MBS/Fine Music 102.5 here in Sydney though.

Worth noting the ratings for ABCFM in Canberra where the politicians live :slight_smile: I can see very strong opposition there to a change that affects the number 4 rated station.

I think this is the latest survey

3 Likes

I smell a marketing campaign coming.

5 Likes

Soon to be followed by Bachtober (and Brahmvember).

1 Like

A digital radio is more simple than analogue radio. You begin with the receiver tuning in the stations for you. All stations are marked by name, therefore very easy to find.

Setting presets is common across all devices, this is perhaps the most difficult. But to set up and find a station and most listen to only one station is very simple.

1 Like

Ausmusic Month - November

ABC Classic will mark Ausmusic Month with a diverse range of live and recorded concerts and broadcast content that will celebrate emerging Australian performers and pay tribute to some renowned Australian composers. Highlights include the Australian National Academy of Music Concerto Competition on 17 November, as well as two broadcast concerts from celebrated music festivals the Huntington Chamber Music Festival (from 22 November) and the Tasmanian Chamber Music Festival (12 November).

ABC Classic will mark Ausmusic Month with a diverse range of live and recorded concerts and broadcast content that will celebrate emerging Australian performers and pay tribute to some renowned Australian composers. Highlights include the Australian National Academy of Music Concerto Competition on 17 November, as well as two broadcast concerts from celebrated music festivals the Huntington Chamber Music Festival (from 22 November) and the Tasmanian Chamber Music Festival (12 November).

ABC Classic FM 95.7 Wollongong has issues with the left/right audio being out of balance (favours the left channel) and it has been like that for over a week now.

No such issues with the Sydney or Newcastle broadcasts.

You really have to wonder if any off air monitoring is done down there, since it’s a major regional transmitter with Local ABC studios and offices.

2 Likes

I recall a similar thing with one of the JJJs in SEQ.

2 Likes

JJJ Sunshine Coast @TV.Cynic

Also Classic FM Sunshine Coast is also quite LOUD compared to other nearby Classic FM’s.

1 Like

That distortion is ready bad - how can that not have been corrected?

Budget cuts might hit hard on the ABC’s networks.

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/closures-and-mergers-rumoured-be-under-consideration-abc

1 Like

Interesting. Do you think there is really a chance they could cut Classic FM? What would they do with the frequencies, sell them? It could open up some FM capacity in congested cities on the east coast. Or maybe they could put Double J on FM perhaps. Perhaps they might move ABC Local or RN to FM in the capital cities. While I’d personally prefer they replace Classic FM with a BBC Radio 2 format that won’t happen as it wouldn’t save them any money I guess. Maybe ABC Country on FM might work in smaller regional towns.

1 Like

Unfortunately, they likely couldn’t do that. Their legislation is set up for the Minister to reserve spectrum for them. They’d have to relinquish it and then new licences auctioned.

It’s likely they’ll do more with less, cheaper content over the same five slots they have.

Yes, could work, anything to rid Local Radio of that 90min abomination of Myf’s music weekdays.

Wouldn’t that be nice, talk on FM. Local Radio would see an uptick and likely Myf’s show remaining on local.

Love it. They could run an automated version. Same could be done with Classic currently. Employ one station ‘voice’ for announcements.

This would be wonderful.

1 Like

Would not be surprised to see Classic FM get axed, to be fair it is an extremely niche service (especially in comparison to something like Double J) that once served a purpose that was far less niche when it launched.

2 Likes

I think moving ABC Local to FM is the most likely thing to happen if Classic FM gets the axe. I would like to see more music played on ABC Local if this happens. ABC Local used to play heaps of contemporary music back in the 1970s - why can’t they do it today?

3 Likes

But how expensive is Classic FM anyway? Does it really cost that much given it’s just one program for the whole country.

ABC Hobart and ABC Northern Tasmania play heaps of music during their local shifts. Most of it is laid back singer-songwriter tunes (or ‘Adult Alternative’) similar to what ABC Dig Music used to play. I would listen to this format quite often if it was used on FM.

Nuking stations would be a drastic last resort for Auntie and I don’t think it will actually happen; they’ll run announcer free on Classic and stuff RN with podcasts rather than let them go dark entirely.

4 Likes

True & possibly. Though I suspect the costs of operating the transmitters (ie maintenance contract with Broadcast Australia (BA)) far exceeds the employee & studio associated costs for ABC Classic & Newsradio.
Recent rising electricity costs must be effecting the ABCs maintenance contract pricing with BA, re costs of operating the transmitters. Also one wonders how the ABC fund the DAB rollout to the regional areas on top of existing terrestrial broadcasting in future…

Guess re wait & see what happens in future.

1 Like

You’re probably right, though those are fixed and largely sunk costs; the first things to go are more variable costs like quality programming and announcers.

1 Like

New look for 2019:

4 Likes