ABC Classic

Im a person of eclectic tastes … what can i say. Now I’ll just go check out super cars site …

3 Likes

Vote now in the Classic 100: Your Favourite Instrument

1 Like

Oboe ftw!

1 Like

Heard an ad for the Classic 100 on Double J very early his morning - I thought I misheard that the countdown was favourite instrument

1 Like

No, you didn’t mishear: How to vote in the Classic 100: Your Favourite Instrument - ABC Classic

There’s a topic every year, with (it sounds like) some reprises of the original question that were done at the 10th and 20th anniversaries. It sounds like they’re scraping a touch from the bottom of the barrel - but if there’s anyone who can even name a hundred instruments, it’d be fine music fans.

1 Like

Classic 100 in Concert will showcase Australia’s most popular instruments on ABC TV

ABC Classic has partnered with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra in a special concert bringing to life highlights from this year’s Classic 100: Your Favourite Instrument. Audiences will be able to see performances featuring Australia’s most popular instruments, as voted by the public, in a live concert in Melbourne, as well as on ABC TV and ABC iview on Saturday June 24 at 7:30pm. They can also listen on ABC Classic and the ABC listen app.

Australia’s biggest classical music event, the Classic 100, this year presented by ABC Classic and ABC Jazz, has been running for 22 years. Every year, music lovers nominate their favourite music according to that year’s theme.

In 2023, the top 100 Favourite Instrument will be counted down live on ABC Classic, ABC Jazz and through the ABC Listen app on the weekend of June 10 -11. The partnership concert with Melbourne Symphony Orchestra will feature highlights from the countdown.

The concert will be hosted by ABC’s National Music Correspondent Zan Rowe, ABC Presenter Jeremy Fernandez and ABC Classic radio host Genevieve Lang, and will take place at Hamer Hall, Arts Centre Melbourne, under the baton of Principal Conductor in Residence and Creative Director Benjamin Northey.

The concert will highlight the most popular instruments and what makes them so beloved, performed by Australia’s best classical artists alongside an array of special guests.

The full program and artist announcement will be available from mid June.

The Melbourne Symphony concerts will take place on June 22 and 23. Tickets to the Classic 100 in Concert are on sale now.

Voting is still open for audience to nominate their top 10 favourite instruments from all musical cultures and traditions, including classical, jazz, pop, folk and everything in between. Head to the Classic 100 website to have your say.

Voting closes at 9am on Monday June 5.

Tickets to the concert are now on sale at Arts Centre Melbourne website

Classic 100 in Concert will return in 2024 and screen on ABC TV.

3 Likes

That’s great news. ABC Classic is the only strand of the ABC audio network that i regularly listen to. The rest of it could pretty much close down without a whimper.

2 Likes

Love ABC Classic…my second favourite station after 2GB (How’s that for variety). Best things about Classic (apart from the music of course!) are the brilliant presenters who weave it all together and each with their own such distinctive styles. My favourites are:
Ed Le Brocq weekend breakfast: Such a wonderful soothing way to slowly awake on weekends. I do miss Ed (formerly as Emma Ayres) on weekday breakfast when he hosted it years ago.
Russell Torrance - the Scot with the lot
Greta Bradman - granddaughter of the late great Sir Donald and she is such a multi-talented lady. Broadcaster, Opera singer, Psychologist…wow!

4 Likes

Thanks @shanosV8, fascinating insight to Classic FM talent. Would be quite interesting negotiating the many personalities of talent for management.

1 Like

I’m listening to more ABCFM as I get more mature. It’s a great escape from the ‘same old, same old’ of pop music radio. In Canberra there aren’t too many alternatives to commercial radio.

5 Likes

Yep very similar for me too dxnerd. I feast on the red meat angry diet of 2GB largely during the working week but then spend weekends with ABC Classic. For me its a soothing balm, an immersive experience, an antidote to the heavy news week. ABC Classic is a rare gem ! The new ABC chair better not mess with it. Much better he focuses on the basket case that is ABC local talk stations.

1 Like

The good thing about ABCFM is that you still get news on the hour, so no need to switch stations.

1 Like

No news after 9am on the weekends. They used to have a 5pm update on Saturday and Sunday which I’d like to have back.

2 Likes

And it’s also state-based too. However, to the best of my knowledge, ABC Classic doesn’t air news bulletins between 9am & 4pm on weekdays.

But yes, I agree with you from your earlier post that ABC Classic is a good alternative to the commercial music radio stations. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, I usually listen mornings and afternoons during the week when driving. Best to switch off from the news at other times anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s just me, but whenever i come across Classic FM during my dial twiddling these days, there seems to be less operatic music (sopranos and tenors) and more light jazz and ambience music this year. Is anyone else thinking this too?

2 Likes

ABC FM is playing more ‘popular classical’ these days- think shorter well-known pieces and video game music- to appeal to a wider audience. The MBS stations are probably the choice of the true aficionados.

4 Likes

Noted that the other day too. In fact I had to recheck the screen to see if I was still listening to ABC Classic (thinking I must have inadvertently switched stations) :laughing:

1 Like