Football⚽️

When the A-League becomes independent of the FFA, they should be looking at a new TV deal at the first possible opportunity, with two packages - a pay TV/streaming package with the bulk of the games, and a free to air exclusive package. They’re still going to need Fox in the mix, sadly, but if they package it right, the FTA package should go for a song.

SBS will have to be sidelined, unless they do some sort of half-arsed deal for a half-arsed second division. An independent A-League will need to aim higher than SBS I’m afraid.

1 Like

The Australian reports today that the FFA and the A-League clubs have been warned to sort out the A-League or face a huge drop in the amount of money the game will receive for the next broadcast rights deal. Fox Sports is believed to have expressed concerns about falling ratings and suggested the A-League in current form is unsustainable, in a submission to New Leagues Working Group which is considering the formation of a new independent A-League competition independent of the FFA.

The federal election on May 18 is on the same weekend as the A-League grand final. No matter which two teams play in the decider, election coverage will take people’s attention away from the big game.

Most of the population has no interest in it though.

1 Like

Perth Glory has claimed the Premiers Plate for the first time after beating Newcastle Jets 1-0 at home this evening. Glory is guaranteed to finish on top of the ladder with only two rounds to go and will also play in the AFC Champions League next year.

Whats the bet Perth will “choke” so that the FFA’s favoured Sydney and Melbourne teams can win? They did it to us with the VAR “failure” last year…

Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler has been appointed the new head coach of Brisbane Roar.

Ronnie Vargas may be playing his last game for the Jets on the weekend according to NBN’s Mitchell Hughes.

UP YOUR ARSE SYDNEY!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hopefully they can do it again sometime in the next few weeks to Sydney during the finals.

Surprised no one is mentioning the fact that we didn’t make the finals. Open opportunity to kick me in the balls there and you lot missed. :laughing:

Oh I meant it, why would I say hopefully they do it to Syd again during the finals if I didn’t know they didn’t make it?
I missed kicking you in the balls in the same way the Jets missed the top 6…

Melbourne Victory beat Wellington 3-1 in tonight’s elimination final at AAMI Park, and will play Sydney FC next Sunday evening (Mother’s Day) at Jubilee Stadium at Kogarah. The last 3 meetings between the Victory and the Phoenix all finished in draws.

James Brayshaw slams A-League as irrelevant

Not often I agree with Brayshaw but he’s right at this stage.

I would love to see soccer flourish in this country but they just keep sabotaging themselves.

And you wouldn’t know the finals are on. The free to air broadcaster doesn’t even promote the coverage.

1 Like

Very disappointing. I have seen very low tv audiences on Fox Sports and on 10bold. Saturday night match rated under 3000 viewers in Perth (iirc). Crowd numbers were low. There is not enough exposure of soccer in Australia. I believe that the experiment of soccer on 10Bold did not work.
Johnny warren and Les Murray will be rolling in their graves if they find out the poor numbers.

Is the A-League any more ‘irrelevant’ than the NBL or even Rugby Union? This is just another example of AFL journalists bagging football at any opportunity they get. All James Brayshaw’s comments say to me, is that those who are involved in the running of the AFL are scared of football’s potential in this country.

Think of it this way; why would an AFL media personality go to the effort of criticising another code if they seriously thought that the code is not a threat to their sport?

5 Likes

Few quick points - James Brayshaw isn’t a journalist. And saying he’s solely associated with AFL is clearly forgetting his input into 7’s cricket coverage. Also, you manage to understand football is a code but think AFL is also a code? It’s Australian Rules.

Yes, I am aware of that. I did mention “why would an AFL media personality go to the effort of criticising another code” in my previous post, just so that you’re aware. My main point being that people associated with the AFL are notorious for their hostile reception towards football. Also, where did I mention that James Brayshaw was solely associated with the AFL? I didn’t.

By the way, last I checked, the AFL is Australian Rules. Me using the term “AFL” to describe the code (for which it is a code) doesn’t change the point that I am making.

2 Likes

Who? Or just happy to sling mud without any facts whatsoever?

Also, was well aware what you said, didn’t feel the need to quote it all.

It’s not. The AFL is a League that plays the code Australian Rules. The term AFL isn’t a code at all. Would be exactly the same as suggesting any football played here is A-League.

You suggested Brayshaw was an AFL journalist to get your point across. You could have worded it differently but it didn’t suit your argument, hence my suggestion he was involved with more sports than purely AFL level.