A Current Affair

Because of the cricket finishing early, a “Special Edition” of A Current Affair is airing tonight - presumably one recorded in advance.

1 Like

It appears there will be no ACA tonight due to US election coverage.

During tonight’s news in QLD, ACA was promoted so I am assume QLD, SA and WA will receive ACA tonight.

ACA airing now. Special edition about the election.

2 Likes

Here’s some caps of the special edition of ACA

2 Likes

A Current Affair to swipe big name stars from rival The Project

A CURRENT Affair is out to swipe big name stars from rival The Project in 2017.

The Channel 9 current affairs show wants to attract overseas talent to be interviewed by host Tracy Grimshaw.

The Project has built a reputation for celebrity interviews. Each week Ten publicises the show’s upcoming guest list.

Recent guests have included celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, singers Cyndi Lauper and Ellie Goulding, A-list actor Matt Damon and comedians Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders.

Now A Current Affair wants a piece of that action, which attracts an advertiser-friendly audience for their rivals at Ten.

Grant Williams says he wants to add “more of that entertainment flavour” and have Grimshaw interview celebrities instead of spending most of her time “topping and tailing other journalists’ reports.”

Seems strange given that the shows are produced in different cities so studio guests wouldn’t clash and anyone interviewed remotely could easily do both shows.

Tracy’s fall continues.

Stupid move IMO. That doesnt suit ACA’s brand.

1 Like

If this change means less consumer reports, then I am all for it. Agree, it just doesn’t sound right.

So many take a swipe at The Project but now the rivals want to emulate that show. :laughing:

ACA used to be known for doing the odd big celebrity interview, particularly back in the days when Jana and Ray were hosting. I’ve never understood why they dropped them in favour of more consumer and scam alert stories. Some of Jana’s most memorable moments came when she interviewed the likes of Mel Gibson, Imran Khan, Dustin Hoffman and Nicole Kidman. It makes sense to use a skilled interviewer like Tracy to add value to the show.

6 Likes

I find the angle taken by the article linking the change to The Project very strange.

The breakfast and morning shows have the same celebrities on flogging their latest music and films, as does 7:30, The Project and numerous radio shows. ACA will be just joining in on the circuit.

To be honest, I actually think the addition/return to more celebrity interviews will probably rejuvenate ACA.

I’d still prefer more regular interviews with politicians or the newsmakers of the day of course (think 7.30 with Leigh Sales - yeah, I know how likely the chances of that happening on a commercial network are!), but celebrity interviews with Tracy are still a step up from those trashy consumer/dodgy guys/neighbours from hell/etc reports we all love to hate.

3 Likes

yeah hardly original, if anything a throwback. Would be good to give Grimshaw something more substantial to do.

1 Like

Of course. Now I remember the infamous Gordon Ramsay interview with Tracy Grimshaw and Leila’s with Corey Worthington.

Considering the salary she is on to just read an autocue, it’s definitely clear they want value for money and getting her doing more.

Tracy’s skills will be put to good use by adding these interviews to the program. Any big name celebrity visiting our country plugging their latest movie or album will probably help increase ratings.

2 Likes

could also be a ploy by Nine to get leverage for their new A List show with Richard Wilkins - not only can we give you 1x60 minute long form interview, but we can also give you a 6-7 minute prime-time IV for those people who don’t have the time or the focus to sit down to watch your long-form IV

1 Like

It seems like it was the producer who took that angle not the article.

A Current Affair producer Grant Williams says next year the Nine show will be looking to include more celebrity interviews, particularly given The Project features personalities on a nightly basis.

“The Project is more inclined to go with live content with celebrities, touring acts and stars and I think we need to get A Current Affair back into that space,” he told the Herald Sun.