Seven News (Regional Vic/NSW/ACT/WA)

New desk screen graphics:

National news headlines with new logo, during local bulletin:

8 Likes

I prefer those regional title cards where the logo is over the skyline shot, not just on white like the metros do.

4 Likes

I personally think the background should be a white or a clearer more photographic more fitting background that fits all in regional areas with the 7 news logo similar to the 7 news metro bulletins. Or at least make it look more similar to the one on the Sunshine Coast.

The update opener comes from master control/playout, not from production control. Same applies to introducing weather and sport, recently. All these three are used when no sponsor occurs in a specific market.

I’d love to see the montage of the 6.30 news under the 7 News name, or maybe we let @Abesty do the work for us, I guess. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s the black ‘NEWS’ over the dark imagery that kills it for me. If they changed them to white they’d look so much better, especially on the desks. The images themselves are fantastic

1 Like

yup agreed!

Just drove past the Prime7 Coffs Harbour office, and the old Prime7 local news signage remains. You would think that this would be fixed by now, especially with the com games being 2 days away. Does anyone else have the old signage? I’m curious if Canberra has replaced there’s.

The 2000’s Prime logo was on display for ages at their Canberra HQ after the move on-air to Prime7. All in good time Ethan.

1 Like

Prime7 Ballarat Signage still the same hasnt changed yet i drive past that way to work

I think theyre more concerned with the onair rollout than the physical.

I suspect its part of the transition, to let viewers know its still the same local news with a fresh coat of paint. I dare say they’ll eventually move to the white title card with picture slash on the left like all other bulletins.

1 Like

Why?

Prime7 is still on the building in Watson. It’s only slightly out of my way between home and work so I go past probably once a week to check!

It is just wrong. It’s New England, just ask the University of New England. Like New Zealand or New York. It’s a proper noun and does not require a definite article.

Linguistically people add ‘the’ to places like Illawarra and Shoalhaven, but also not technically required. The Sydney or the Melbourne is not a thing.

Definite articles are required when grouping geographical features to form a definite area, such as The Blue Mountains. Here you are grouping several mountains (noun) and an adjective to create a proper noun. As in ‘which mountains?’ ‘The Blue Mountains’ or ‘which ranges?’ ‘The Dandenong Ranges’. By comparison, ‘which England?’ ‘The New England’.

‘Canberra’ comes from the indigenous word kamberra meaning ‘meeting place’. So in English, it would be the kamberra - however a proper noun was created when the spelling was bastardised, thus we don’t need to define The Canberra, as it is not used as a noun.

8 Likes

At the risk of this thread devolving solely into a discussion of the English language, I do want to add my thoughts as someone from the region.

A definite article is used with proper nouns when referring to a geographic term such as mountains, oceans, deserts, and regions, but not when referring to cities. “The Illawarra” is correct as it is referring to a geographic region. “The Shoalhaven” is also correct if you are referring to the region rather than the specific locality of Shoalhaven. In this instance, “the New England” is also correct as it is a geographic area rather than a specific locality.

The other major point is that what is right and wrong in language is typically a function of how it is used. I’m from Armidale, and I hear it quite commonly referred to as “the New England”. But if you look at some official websites or as CTC pointed out above the University, the definite article isn’t used. Ultimately it’s really up to personal preference as to how it is used.

4 Likes

Noel just said “Seven Regional News understands…” while doing a voiceover on a story.

6 Likes

“He just come up from the beach and done a massive stack before heading down servo where he brought a can of coke” would not be an uncommon way of stretching English but actually using it incorrectly.

There are rules to the language, which are commonly broken, but doesn’t mean they don’t exist. True, languages constantly evolve, but grammar is there - even though at least one generation was not taught it in school.

Journalists should know how to write and publish correct (not colloquial) English. Casual language can be left for the pub.

If New England were actually The New England, the University would be ‘The New England University’ or ‘The University of The New England’.

I won’t harp on this any longer, promise.

4 Likes

Also closes the bulletin by saying that too.

2 Likes

I’m not from New England but ‘the New England’ does not sound right at all.

3 Likes