7news.com.au

Recently promoted Seven’s director of news and current affairs Anthony de Ceglie tells Mediaweek on the future of The Nightly:

“Part of what I’ll do with Seven is ensure The Nightly is even more integrated with the 6pm bulletins, which was always the dream.”

In the three months since its launch, De Ceglie is happy with its momentum and results, but says, “it’s only going to get more impressive. The Ipsos ratings for month two should shoot the lights out.

“Our point of view was always that there was in particular, in Sydney and Melbourne, there was an audience for free, quality journalism, free, long form journalism. And all the metrics are telling us that that’s 100% true.”

2 Likes

I’ve heard from someone on the inside it’s the only real source of revenue the website has. Display and video pre-rolls yield next to nothing, so they’ve doubled down on “sponsored” posts as a way to take the red out of the bottom line. I can’t imagine De Siglie letting it continue under the 7news brand.

I still forsee 7news.com.au and The Nightly merging, with The Nightly look, feel and style taking the lead, and the existing tabloid trash being spun off into a new brand.

1 Like

7news finally promoting their app. Hard to believe it’s not 2016, but here we are.

2 Likes

There were subtle promos of the new app on air today, during AFL match coverage and the 6pm bulletin.

2 Likes

During the news in Adelaide, after the report on egg shortages, Rosanna said that viewers could go to the 7news app to see which supermarkets are placing restrictions on egg purchases.

2 Likes
2 Likes

He can always get a job as a snake oil salesman when Little Kerry has had enough. A laughable defence.

1 Like

Warrants scrutiny of why Mediaweek are so enthusiastically supporting such a lemon of a website.

1 Like

They’re an industry publication, its what they do.

2 Likes