I recorded the start of 7.30 leading out of ABC News. This is what it looked like in HD. Opening graphics looked SD.

5 Likes

The opening and closing graphics looked HD tonight.

4 Likes

Looks like their Top Right Corner watermark is now being switched rather than being edited into the packages.

01/10/2018:
Laura Tingle is presenting tonight.

3 Likes

Seems like a strange addition to 7:30 to me, Ten would’ve been better getting them on The Project.

1 Like

Mark Humphries to join 7.30

Begins Thursday 4 October

7.30 are delighted to announce that satirist Mark Humphries will be joining the program with a fortnightly satirical segment starting Thursday October 4.

Mark and his co-writer Evan Williams are excited to join the 7.30 team.

Mark and Evan said: “We had many offers but the prospect of bringing the ABC’s flagship current affairs program down to the level of third-rate undergraduate humour was too tempting to resist.

“We just love the job stability that can only be found at the ABC.”

This is not the first time 7.30 has had satire, with the much loved Clarke and Dawe segments gracing 7.30’s screens for many years.

Mark and Evan said: “We will never be able to fill John Clarke’s shoes, because his family refuses to give them to us.”

Leigh Sales said “I’m a huge fan of quality political satire so you can only imagine my disappointment that we couldn’t land Shaun Micallef.”

4 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

This is so stupid. They are destroying this program.

No they’re not, stop talking.

They used to run comedy segments in the 90s.

3 Likes

Long closers aren’t going to fix the program.

5 Likes

It’s Clarke & Dawe’s old spot, but go off I guess

How well did those comedy segments go for them?

Clarke and Dawe was the only successful one.

The show is still on air today, so fine. And Clarke and Dawe did very well out of them. If the comedy is good, I see no problem.

You have a history of anti-ABC comments so I guess I’ll let you have your fun.

Hmmm I remember Leigh Sales seemed to not like the Clarke and Dawe bits and they moved off the program not long after she became the permanent host.

Are you for real?

I love the ABC, but I don’t appreciate the changes they have made over the years to dumb down what was once a great program.

The program’s still great. They find a lot of fantastic stories. A bit of comedy every fortnight won’t hurt it.

And maybe I am misremembering your comments. Sorry.

@pelican I wholeheartedly agree, it is still one of the best current affairs programs we have left on television.

I am a massive supporter of the ABC. It has the best news and current affairs programs across all media.

But when I don’t like something, just like on any other network or channel, I will call it out.

But the sketches were run until John Clarke’s death in 2017. Weren’t they part of 7.30 then?

Dropped in 2013 - https://tvtonight.com.au/2013/02/730-drops-clark-dawe-but-they-remain-with-abc.html

3 Likes

I think it was more to do with Sally Neighbour, the ex-EP, than Leigh.

1 Like