6 News Australia

I’ve changed the title & thumbnail of the video to make my position more clear.

Ridiculous thing to suggest.

Is it though? :thinking:

I personally think it’s best we pass on from this topic after the discussion earlier today has covered most the day’s talking points, and to avoid hostility.

I’m not taking sides in saying this nor am I trying to be a Mod, but let’s not discourage @Leo_Puglisi6’s efforts with 6NEWS in itself (not referencing today’s events).

3 Likes

Doesn’t change the content of your rant in the video which is all still -

Which I think is the main problem here. Maybe should just delete it now and forget it ever happened :man_shrugging:

statements like that discourage people from following their passions - there’s no need to be rude

17 Likes

Matthew Hain, a 6 News Australia ‘political commentator’ (his words in the video), is claiming that News Corp is “going after” 6 News because they are an independent outlet, so News Corp are stealing their content. 1. A video from 6 News was played on the Friday Showdown with Sky News covering the 6 News logo Hain is claiming (it was partially covered). 2. News Corp claimed an exclusive on a story at 6:00am (the WIN News story) but 6 News had tweeted their exclusive story at 9:00pm the previous night.

He has absolutely no credibility, the whole video seems poorly thought out and he wasn’t prepared with solid facts and admitted that he was too lazy to write anything down.

If 6 News wants to be taken as a serious news outlet they need to quit this crap, move on and keep breaking stories and their work will speak for themselves.

The whole thing is coming off very childish unfortunately.

7 Likes

With respect, he’s got more credibility than some rando on the internet. He puts his face and name to what he says.

His views are his only. Not ours.

I’m literally trying my best to move on here. How about you check out some of our recent reports? Like this exclusive?

Your team clearly isn’t.

Leo, this is a media discussion forum. If you are willing to engage here you have to be open to fair criticism. Some comments will cross a line when they shouldn’t, and it can be hard when it seems like the whole world is against you - with that said, instead of trying to deflect from a topic you no longer wish to discuss, disengage for a while.

1 Like

Matthew Hain isn’t part of 6 News.

He thinks he is.

1 Like

Having someone to share their views/opinions doesn’t mean they are part of 6 News.

The only people who are are listed on our website - he is a political commentator who has shared his views.

We had Hayden O’Connor on last week - he’s not a part of 6 News.

It’s literally in our editorial policies: “6 News welcomes a diverse range of perspectives to comment on relevant issues & topics. The views of our guests are their & theirs only - and we welcome you to comment with your own thoughts.”

Well we’ve already debunked his point 2 in this thread. There is nothing to prove that News Corp “stole” anything from 6 News about that story.

As for point 1, yes Sky used footage from 6 News but if they really wanted to hide that fact and pass it off as their own they would have cropped out the 6 News logo out entirely. I am not one to defend Sky News but I don’t think anyone watching that would think they were watching Sky News sourced video given that the 6 News strap and logo is still clearly visible. If anything it actually credits 6 News as the source for their footage by including the logo (even if only partially visible) there.

I am no fan of Sky News and The Australian but unless there is any compelling evidence I see nothing that proves that NewsCorp is “going after” 6 News.

10 Likes
2 Likes

Hi Leo,

Congratulations on the new addition to your team. I notice that Holly Shields is your only female reporter at the moment. Gender equality is a topic which is getting a lot of traction lately, have you made any moves to try and include more women on your reporting team?

3 Likes

And what qualifications exactly should high school students have?

3 Likes

Sure, but this is a 6 News thread and you replied to a post asking specifically about 6 News.

Aside from being mostly nonsense - defamation law notwithstanding, I can list plenty of male journalists who are ‘qualified’ and hold a degree but can barely function in society let alone report news - one of the reasons we see gender inequality in the media starts at the talent development and training level.

This isn’t the place to go into the nuance of why that is, but it is a fair question. To take the positive angle, there’s certainly an opportunity for 6 News as a training platform (if nothing else) to hook in young reporters from diverse backgrounds interested in media and developing a portfolio from a young age.

4 Likes

I can’t see foxyrover’s comment, was it deleted?

1 Like

Thanks @Ricketycricket - 100%, we really are trying to get a larger team in general (and I should point out most of our team approached me, rather than the other way around) but of course we want female & POC reporters!

I’m not sure what @foxyrover’s comment was, but of course, we want people from all backgrounds as part of 6 News. The only “qualification” we need is that they are passionate about reporting/media. If they’re not serious, we wouldn’t have them as part of our team.

12 Likes

Good stuff Leo. I look forward to seeing your larger team on 6 News in the future :slight_smile:

4 Likes